Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We go out for our first actual trail ride yesterday evening. Forestry Roads, Mark Twain Forest. Mine are the little red Recon going trough the mud and the Rancher on the ride side of the screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What does it take to ride there? Have to register anywhere or pay? Got a map of the trail?

Mark Twain national forest in Missouri? Tell me more, I'm always looking for new places to ride.
South of Fort Leonard Wood off the 17.

You have to title and register them. I think I one of the few that will do this. EVERYBODY rides 4 wheelers and side by sides out here. Side by sides have different laws. When you look in peoples yards it seems like there are more 4 wheelers and side by sides than cars.

My understanding I get a sticker from the state saying I have registered them and that is what I need. Below is state, not federal law. I am going to call our local forestry office at lunch to see what is needed. I know you are supposed to stay on numbered trails. I have talked to rangers before and they have told if it looks like a road or trail it is. Not sure how accurate that is. Missouri requires riders under 18 or maybe 16 to wear a helmet.

The Sheriff won't do anything (unless you are trespassing) because we will vote him out if he does and the State Police don't seem to care.

Missouri ATV Law
Mo. Rev. Stat. § 301.700. Titling
Title required, subject to regulations.
301.703. Unlawful to operate without certificate of ownership
Must have certificate of ownership. Application for a certificate of ownership must be made within thirty days after the applicant acquires the all-terrain vehicle.
301.705. Operation
No person may operate an all-terrain vehicle on private property without permission. No person under the age of sixteen may operate an all-terrain vehicle in this state unless such person is accompanied by and under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian or is accompanied by and under the direct supervision of an adult who is authorized by the operator's parent or guardian to supervise the operator. Does not apply on private property owned by the parent or guardian of such person operating the all-terrain vehicle.
301.707. Registration required
Registration required, subject to regulations.
301.711. Decals
Upon receipt of the application for registration and the appropriate fee, the department of revenue must issue a decal showing the registration number and expiration date. The decal shall be displayed at all times and be affixed to the right front fork or frame of the all-terrain vehicle where it is clearly visible. Decal fee is 10 dollars. Decals valid for 3 years

I just found this about Mark Twain. In my area there are a mix of state and county roads and numbered forestry road all with yards of each other.
"Mark Twain National Forest restricts riding of ATVs, UTV's and motorcycles on national forest land to open, numbered roads (if ridden in compliance with state law) and designated motorized trails. State law prohibits riding ATVs and UTV's on public roads, except with a county permit, or other exceptions"

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm up by Columbia, so not really local.
I've heard about ridding down there but it's never been specific like this is where you can go and these are the trials you can ride. So have always been hesitant about going down there, don't want to drive down there and not be able to find a place to ride, or get fined for ridding someplace you aren't allowed.
Guess I need to be a little more adventures and go check it out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm up by Columbia, so not really local.
I've heard about ridding down there but it's never been specific like this is where you can go and these are the trials you can ride. So have always been hesitant about going down there, don't want to drive down there and not be able to find a place to ride, or get fined for ridding someplace you aren't allowed.
Guess I need to be a little more adventures and go check it out.
I spent yesterday afternoon Googling and on the phone trying to figure things out.

I think:

On forestry you have to ride on forestry "roads", not trials. There are no "trials" (just roads) for motorized vehicles in the National Forest, EXCPET specific areas that have "trail systems" designed for ATVs / off road use and you pay an extra $45 dollar a year for a pass. There are restrictions.

My area has only has "roads", no trail systems. They will be marked with brown post "FR" and a number. You might enter one side of the "road" and its marked and exit on the other side for the "road" and it is not marked. Many of these "roads" not maintained and or very neglected. They are fun to ride. There are also county roads that cut in and around. They are usually better maintained but often they can be confused with a long drive way. I am in Texas County and in addition to the state sticker you need to trade the Sheriff (his office) $15 for another little sticker to ride on county roads. For the forestry "roads" (not to be confused with trail systems) you just have to comply with state law. I don't think anybody in my area, to include LE and the Forestry personnel, really have a clear understanding of what goes which way and were it ends. Enforcement of any of it seems nonexistent.

I hear tails of triangles and flags but I think they only apply to vehicles driven on the road for agricultural purposes and maybe places that have "trail systems". Not real sure about that. Friday I am going to register my 4 wheelers at the license office and then go buy the Sheriff's office for the county permits and I will see what else I can find out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts