Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
I have my 450 fan on a manual switch , one day I need to fix it back right as it worries me to forget to turn it on -------I don't ride the same bike all the time so it is easy to forget ------ I would try to fixed it right first

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I also agree with this, when the fan works as honda made it, it works best, DON"T have to worry about turning on or off

and they should last a LONG time when fixed, the temp sensors are not that costly and easy to replace, Fan control units are also easy to replace, but sadly NOT so cheap , but they normally last about 15-20 yrs each so>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mines not broke... a lot of the trails I ride the quad never gets out of 1st or 2nd gear. The fan cuts on a lot... so I'm thinking I'd like to cut it on before the oil temp sensor does...

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Has anybody done this on their 350?
Hi: Not a problem to have a bypass switch to operate the fan.

Just leave the sensor wired in place and cut into the wire attached to the sensor and to a toggle switch then the other side of the switch to ground.

This way the sensor will still control the fan and the switch will turn the fan on when ever needed like you have said.

I have a TRX420 with a bypass switch wired in place to start the fan a will.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I'm starting to feel like I should just leave it be
The bypass switch to operate the fan at will can't hurt anything on any bike -- can be used on any ATV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So take the green wire from the sensor to the power side of toggle switch and ground wire from switch to the frame right?

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
nothing wrong with Mel's by-pass , in fact I could see it being a plus , if you feel the fan should have kicked on and it hasn't , then a flip of the switch and you will know if the fan is good or not ------- if I ever fix mine right I will leave the by-pass ability in place

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
So take the green wire from the sensor to the power side of toggle switch and ground wire from switch to the frame right?
Leave the wire on the sensor --cut into that wire on the sensor --run that wire to the switch and the other side of the switch to frame ground.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
only big issue I heard of is IF you drive into deep water with the FAN ON, as it can cause damage to it?
where as if it turned on by temp switch, as in water it will cool and shut itself off and NOT keep trying to run under water, that and or IF it was hard wired to run when key isn';t ON and it could be forgotten to turn off and run battery down on you??

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
only big issue I heard of is IF you drive into deep water with the FAN ON, as it can cause damage to it?
where as if it turned on by temp switch, as in water it will cool and shut itself off and NOT keep trying to run under water, that and or IF it was hard wired to run when key isn';t ON and it could be forgotten to turn off and run battery down on you??
It has nothing to do with the key switch --running with it on in water not a problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reason I ask about the wiring of this is because an older post said to cut into green wire right underneath of fan to splice the switch in...

·
Registered
2,924 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Have a by-pass switch on both quads ..... there are arguments for/against this modification. Your call ....
That said .... how would anyone know that their sensor isn't working when the factory specs for oil temperature are so high ?
As Shadetree has mentioned many times, the oil is super hot before the fan comes on ..... if everything is working.
I don't wait until the oil is the consistency of gasoline ....... flip the switch.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
It has nothing to do with the key switch --running with it on in water not a problem.
I was saying NOT how your saying to wire it, BUT if someone wired it direct to power at all times, it could accidentally be left on when parked and run battery down on them

and I Honestly cannot see how running a fan under water doesn;t effect it, spinning blades hitting water is NEVER GOOD period LOL
NOW will it break a blade or, add added wear to bearings or?? I have to think there IS a chance if your in DEEP water, water splashing up, maybe not so bad, but deep water??

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
for me turning it off isn't the problem as you can't help to not hear it , I can " Really " feel it as the cooler/fan is relocated on the front rack right in my face

talk about running motors under water reminds me of when I was a kid , we had a ditch and a pond in front the house , I use to take mini dc electric motors that were unsealed and mount them under home made boats , I would carve the prop out of wood , tedious , I would run them motors under water all day , it was amazing how long they lasted

what could be nice , is to put some type of resistor or what ever electrical device was needed , into the wiring to lower the perimeters of when the fan comes on , a lower temperature might be a good thing , Mel is the electrical guru , I am sure he could come up with something

on the weird side , after many beverages while sitting around the circle jerk , I have thought of having a auto-matic bilge switch on the frame so that when the water level gets up to it and the lever floats then the ground to the fan would be cut off thus stopping the fan , when you came out the water then it would start back up ---- beverages will do that to you

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Disabling the temp sensor and hard wiring the ran to 12V power and a toggle is dumb, but bypassing it correctly like Mel has said, is a good upgrade IMO. I've done it on a couple Honda's, but not my 350.

It doesn't really have to be right at the sensor, just where ever is easy to get that green wire, of course you would have to look at the wiring schematics and whatnot to figure out that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts