Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had put a brand new battery in september of 2009 on my 300ex. Just about 2 weeks ago the battery is dead. This has happened to me numerous times and am starting to think its something other than the battery. When the battery is getting low i get a click. So I jump it and then it starts. A couple days ago I tried starting it with the bad battery and i got one click. Tried again.. Nothing at all. So im thinking maybe where it clicks is bad like the magnetic starter right next to the battery. I dont want to replace something i dont need to so any help is much appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I think the solenoid is what you're calling the magnetic starter. If you charge the battery, will it start? If it doesn't start with the battery charged, try crossing out the two big terminals or studs on the solenoid. If the solenoid is bad, it will start when you do this if you have the key on. If you don't have the key on, it should still crank over, but won't start. Don't have any flammable liquids around, because it will arc some when you do this, unless your battery is dead. By the way, make sure your battery cable ends and battery terminals are clean and tight, first.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
My boss has a 300ex that does the same thing.I always wondered what it was.Once the batts dead you can't recharge it.It's like the battery is shot.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
My boss has a 300ex that does the same thing.I always wondered what it was.Once the batts dead you can't recharge it.It's like the battery is shot.
That's an odd problem. I've never seen that before. I wonder what the battery voltage is while it's running? Maybe the voltage regulator is bad or something.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I don't piss with it much.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
I would guess the regulator also Helmut , that or a bad ground or broken ground, If you take a perfectly good battery and it's dead in that short of time then there is an underlying issue. I wouldn't rule out the solenoid either, but I think the 300EXs are know for eating up starters, that's why if you rebuild one they don't recomend anything more than 10.5:1 CR or it will burn up the starter.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Well thats something to think about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I replaced the starter itself back in late 08 but its fine. Ya the starter solenoid is what i referring to. I've tried to charge the battery and it still wont turn over but I will try crossing the terminals as soon as I get the new battery charged up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I crossed the terminals and it will turn over and start when the key is on so the starter solenoid is bad. thanks a bunch for the help!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
You're welcome.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Cros"If it doesn't start with the battery charged, try crossing out the two big terminals or studs on the solenoid. If the solenoid is bad, it will start when you do this if you have the key on."

What does "crossing out the terminals" mean ???

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
It just means, jumping the two posts that are on top of the solenoid. You can use an old screwdriver and just touch it to both posts. Yeah, that was a bad choice of words on my part. LOL.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It just means, jumping the two posts that are on top of the solenoid. You can use an old screwdriver and just touch it to both posts. Yeah, that was a bad choice of words on my part. LOL.
Ok thanks. I think I have a bad solenoid and want to diagnose it before ASSuming it's that and buying a new one.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Ok thanks. I think I have a bad solenoid and want to diagnose it before ASSuming it's that and buying a new one.
First, try jumping the two posts on the solenoid and see if it will start. If it does, unplug the solenoid from the wiring harness.........not the battery cables, but the small wires going to the wiring harness. Using a test light, probe the yellow/red wire on the harness side connector, while pushing the start button. You should have power on that wire while the start button is pushed. If so, replace the solenoid. If you don't have power on that wire, then the solenoid is not the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts