Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last Sunday I lost my key to my 2012 foreman. So after an exhaustive search I couldn't find my spare so I got my key code off the ignition and was able to get a standard key cut for it. I ant to order a oem key blank and have it cut when I get it. Does anyone sell these besides the dealers? Any info is appreciated, thanks

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
I had to get mine from the dealer and it wasn't that expensive for the blanks, around ten bucks. Though the old school locksmith here in town took me to the cleaners for 25 bucks each to cut new keys using the key code on the ignition switch lock face. It was a fancy key machine and the keys fit perfectly but that was expensive.

Lesson to be learned? Take care of your spare keys. But hey, I only got one key when I bought these two bikes.

Rick

·
Registered
366 Posts
My new neighbor cut his and hot wired it, then bought an new switch, I thought to myself, how can someone loose both keys? Then a month later, after a poker run trip, I Go to take my Rincon off the trailer and all I can remember is tossing the key into the trucks console!
My spare was not to be found in the usual places. Karma your such a bitch!!

OEM Honda ATV Key with Rubber Head Cap A & B Codes [35121-HF1-881] - $10.80 : Motorcycle Key Blanks, Honda, Ducati, Kawasaki Motorcycle Key Blanks, Scooter, ATV Keys Yamaha, Keys4UrRide.com

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I worked at a bike shop for a couple years , and my boss found me one sweet 1999 300 fwd , i was really hoping for an 88 , anyways , he gave me a few tips , he told me it was a good idea to write those numbers stamped in the key under the rubber cap , and said if you ever loose the kep i could contact honda and get a perfect match , has any of you ever been told about that ? I wrote mine down .

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
It is a good idea. That key code can certainly be used to create another key.

Rick

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I stamped mine in the quads frame , I'm old man old timers could hit at any time , lol !

·
Super Moderator
37,419 Posts
I have never lost any of my atv keys, or motorcycle keys for that matter. if I did loose not one, but both ? , you can always pull the ignition switch out of the dash, and locate the numbers along the side, this number will give you the key code to cut a new key. worse comes to worse ?, just bite the bullet, buy a new ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
12,462 Posts
a local locksmith here , makes ATV keys for $7 , they look the same but no rubber cover or any markings on the blanks , he also made a key for my XL250 which I didn't have a key for when I got it , it was $25 , he is good , he put a blank in the ignition with ink on it , cut it twice by hand with a file and it worked

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So ended up at the dealer and gave them 16.00 for a key. After I paid the guy comes out with a cut Honda car key. So ordered a key blank online and took both to the hardware store to get it cut. They had a hard time cutting it due to the plastic cap on it but they got it cut and didn't even charge me. Then I take my new key and try it and it works so I'll use the car key for a spare. My son goes to put it in a safe place and guess what he finds in a cup on top of the fridge... my spare key! After spending 26 bucks i have an extra key. Lol

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
took the lazy route..ordered (2) OEM keys from keys4urride on ebay.
give them the code off the original key, they precut and shipped...each key was $17 including the cut..so yeah, the cost of a new switch...but all I had to do was click my laptop mouse button, it showed up in my mail box, I went out to the garage, checked to make sure the keys worked...done.

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
the 2000es, i lost the only key. i had to replace the ignition switch. well, i didnt really have to, it just sat out side in the weather so much, for me that was the best thing to do. honda east go me a new switch, 2 keys, and a blank. i did use some points for the blank. cutting keys, an other things to do with business, has got into a racket, for money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had to get mine from the dealer and it wasn't that expensive for the blanks, around ten bucks. Though the old school locksmith here in town took me to the cleaners for 25 bucks each to cut new keys using the key code on the ignition switch lock face. It was a fancy key machine and the keys fit perfectly but that was expensive.

Lesson to be learned? Take care of your spare keys or use a lost item tracker. But hey, I only got one key when I bought these two bikes.

Rick
If you are highly likely to lose your key again, then using this tracking gadget is necessary. I have connected a Bluetooth tracker to my car key. If I want to find my key, I press the button and it makes a sound, and on the phone, I can see where it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
a local locksmith here , makes ATV keys for $7 , they look the same but no rubber cover or any markings on the blanks , he also made a key for my XL250 which I didn't have a key for when I got it , it was $25 , he is good , he put a blank in the ignition with ink on it , cut it twice by hand with a file and it worked
Yes, it's worked. Thanks for this solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had absolutely no problem getting replacement precut keys for my switch on my 98 300 FOURTRAX without replacing the ignition switch. Simply pop the switch out and you will see a series of 4 letters and 2 numbers stamped on it. The fourth letter will always be a, b, or c. Mine was TJCA69. The key code was A69. Called my local locksmith and they verified the key code to Honda and presto! 2 new keys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I only had 1 key OEM when I got my Foreman. I called the Honda dealer. All 3 dealers around me will not cut keys as the machine does not cut well any more. I guess it is a manual machine and they wear out and costs too much to fix or repair.
I have 2 extra keys coming and have to go to a locksmith to get them cut.

Now. My Honda dealer that I ordered the keys from asked if they are left or right keys. He told me the side on which the cut is on the key. Anyone heard of this? Hold key upright and which side the cut is on the key. Which side has more key face side on it when looking at it. Anyways. I shall see on Monday.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts