Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So right now I'm working on getting a job. All in hopes of buying another quad :D . I had a 1995 Blaster when I was 11-12, then sold that for a Yamaha YZ80, then sold that for wheels and tires for my car :p . I have a couple questions. I am 16, about 140lbs, and around the 5' 8" area. I just want to know if I buy a 300ex, will it be underpowered? I mostly rode trails around my neighborhood (couple miles of trails) and occasionally went to Minooka Park in Clanton. I don't think it is going to be something that won't be fun, but I don't want to get bored either. Also, my max budget I want to spend is about $3,000, but I need monthly payments because I don't have all the cash at once to go buy one. How late of a model will dealerships usually have? I can't afford a brand new 300ex, it's way to much. My local dealership opens tomorrow so I am going to give them a call, and possibly the one in Clanton too. Any help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
So right now I'm working on getting a job. All in hopes of buying another quad :D . I had a 1995 Blaster when I was 11-12, then sold that for a Yamaha YZ80, then sold that for wheels and tires for my car :p . I have a couple questions. I am 16, about 140lbs, and around the 5' 8" area. I just want to know if I buy a 300ex, will it be underpowered? I mostly rode trails around my neighborhood (couple miles of trails) and occasionally went to Minooka Park in Clanton. I don't think it is going to be something that won't be fun, but I don't want to get bored either. Also, my max budget I want to spend is about $3,000, but I need monthly payments because I don't have all the cash at once to go buy one. How late of a model will dealerships usually have? I can't afford a brand new 300ex, it's way to much. My local dealership opens tomorrow so I am going to give them a call, and possibly the one in Clanton too. Any help is appreciated!
The 300EX is plenty big enough to haul 140 lbs.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it could haul me around, I'm not that big. I'm just asking if you suggest anything bigger, though I'm pretty sure I'm set on the 300ex.

Also, what year would be best for under $3,000. I'm looking to actually spend less than that, but nothing below the year 2000.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm honestly not sure if my dad will let me buy one. What year do you think I can manage to get? Plus I remember when I went to Minooka Park one time, and this guy pulled up on a 400ex with some nets, I loved it. It looks so good.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rewind? hahaha. I assume your talking about reverse

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I agree, look into the 400. The 300 is a very solid machine, if you just cruise and enjoy the ride the 300 will be fine. If you ride aggressively and like to get going fast I would look into the 400. For 3000 you can find a very decent used 400 at a shop. The nets you saw on the 400 are nerf bars. Those are HUGE for safety. The 300 can get those too. The 400 is one of the ultimate platforms to build on. Later down the road you can make them just as fast as the 450's

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Yeah, he means reverse.

·
Super Moderator
18,230 Posts
Rewind? hahaha. I assume your talking about reverse
LOL Yeah I was, it a good thing to have when trail riding, not a necessity but nice to have, the 400EX is a great machine so is the 300EX, I personally own a 250X it's the same as the 300EX, but like everyone has said go with the 400 you won't be dissatisfyied. but put a good set of Ners on and good tires, if your going trail riding alot get something in a 6-ply, I suggest the Maxxis Razr and Razr2. Any first modifications you do to your new quad should be towards safety always, you can't do performance laid up in the house because you slipped off the pegs and ran yourself over.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:D , yeah I figured that, hahaha. I know what nerf bars are, we usually just call them nets. It's probably the first thing I plan on doing if I get one. I would honestly have to try out a 400 before I made a decision to get one. I've never rode anything over a 200 2-stroke let alone a 400. I'm sure I can handle it but I want to be sure. If I can't go to the dealership this week I'm gonna go this weekend, maybe they could give me a quote on monthly payments or something like that. I've also been searching all the dealership websites in Alabama for anything used, but I'm pretty sure most of them don't update their inventories with everything they have.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
You could handle it.If your used to a two stroke power band you could handle it fine.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I agree, a 200 2 stroke and a 400 4 stroke are pretty equal in power. Just the 4 stroke delivers the power a lot smoother.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I strongly suggest getting a 400ex, they are one hell of a machine and extremely versatile. I spent all day last saturday in the woods riding through creeks, over logs and doing hillclimbs now tomorrow I am going to the mx track for the day. My bike is great I have a 2005 Honda 400ex with rewind LOL. I paid $2300 for mine and its very nice, came with nerf bars and exhaust.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree, a 200 2 stroke and a 400 4 stroke are pretty equal in power. Just the 4 stroke delivers the power a lot smoother.
I dont think that is quite true. You dont have the same torqe w/ a two stroke. You allways have to be high r'ing it to get the power.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i have a 300 and weigh 180, i have mo problems getting around doing hillclimbs etc, i payed1500 taxes and title included for an 03 so for 3000 i think you can get a nice ride

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
That is how they are broken down for racing. A 125 2 stroke would race against a 250 4 stroke. A 250 2 stroke is matched up to a 450 4 stroke. I never said they have the same torque and HP. They are evenly matched with equal riders on both.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That is how they are broken down for racing. A 125 2 stroke would race against a 250 4 stroke. A 250 2 stroke is matched up to a 450 4 stroke. I never said they have the same torque and HP. They are evenly matched with equal riders on both.
I agree. But two diff animals.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I loved my Blaster. So if a 400ex is close to that power I sure as hell can handle it because I rode it when I was 11 and 12. And man that thing was light. At that age I could pick up the front end a good foot or so off the ground. I don't really remember how tall I was, haha. I might be heading to my dealership today if one of my parents gets home early enough. My car is a bit of a project and right now it's in pieces being painted.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I agree. But two diff animals.
You are absolutely correct on that.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts