Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 2007 Rancher ES for a year now and decided it's time for a winch. I'm eager to hear any and all suggestions on brand name, size, and where to buy them. I hope I have some experiances to help others as time goes on.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
What do you intend to do with it. Is it just for a snow plow, for example, or is it to pull stuff around a farm, or is it to pull you or other machines out of the mud when you are 20 miles away from nowhere?

If you just need it for a plow then you could get a cheap one, or you need it for general work then you could get a mid range one, or if you will rely on like your life depended on it then of course no price is too high.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I don't know much about the different brand names, but you'll probably want to get a good quality 3000lb or larger winch, Warn is a good brand and there may be others recommended by the other guys here. Get the roller guide for the front of the bike, and a synthetic rope wouldn't be bad either.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Agreed^^^^ A tiger Tail would work well for pulling those downed trees. Winching them would be tough since your quad is not as heavy as a tree.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At risk of sounding stupid;whats a "tiger tail"? It is something I can also use to free myself if stuck ?

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tiger tail info. I think what I need though is a good winch so I can also use it with a plow. I just don't know what winch to get or where the best place to order it is. I'm quite inexperianced when it comes to winches and their mounting.

·
Registered
72 Posts
well ever sinse I got one of these,
http://www.lewiswinch.com/
i have to say it's all I EVER want in a winch. can be used from any direction, no battery draw,,,, can be used on all my rigs not just the one it's mounted to,,,,4000 pull single line 8000 double,,,,150' of line ,,,,can pull from here to China if there is an anchor evey 150 feet

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I have a warn 2500# And have no problems.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
The only difference is warn has a wireless remote.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
You get what you pay for.:icon_ goofy:

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Not in this case... I've seen first hand what this thing can do. I watched a grizzly 700 hang from a tree.

Not saying it's better, just as good.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I hang mine from a tree all after most long rides easy way to remove mud from the skid plates. Im just messing with ya anyway the gorilla winch makes just as good a winch as warn IMO, with warn your just paying for the name.When I went to the dealer they had a promo going for a warn winch package and I told them put it on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Winch update

I want to thank everyone for the winch advise and suggestions. I ended up with a venom 3500lb. The instalation wasn't to bad considering I've never installed one before. The wires were all color coded and their web site was very helpfull. I mounted a toggle switch under the seat so a kid or a novice rider can't accidently engage the winch. The winch works great and has way more power than I'll ever need. Any more power and I think it would stretch the frame. The only negative issue, and it's very minor; is the steel cable is a little too long. I'll be cutting off about 5 or 6 feet because it tends to bind up in the spool when almost fully spooled unless it's spooled perfecty even. Again, this is no big deal, the winch works great.
Thanks again to everyone who took time to respond when I asked for help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts