Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ride alot in the arrowhead of minnesota, gilbert off road park, soo line trails,
i just picked up a new 2017 honda rancher 4x4 dct irs.

i want to put a different set of tires and rims on it. so the stock are great for trails and gravel
but im looking for a bit more height and some more bite.

my stock are f 24x8x12 r 24x10x11
i was eyeing f 26x9x12 r 26x11x12 as a size.

first thing first is buying 4... 12x7 black itp delta rims. now is having a 12 rear rim as opposed to 11 going to cause the differential gears to become damaged?

i have 3 sets of tire i was looking at but was hoping anyone that rides hard gravel, hard packed trails and rocky terrain with light mud here and there and possible snow what they thought was a good all around.
looking for pros and cons on
4 CST MAXXIS ANCLA 360$
4 KENDA BEAR CLAW EVO 315$
4 SunF 26x8-12 & 26x10-12 ATV Tires 340$
4 Sedona Mud Rebel 290$ but only 25inches high.

or offer up some tires for me to look at that i have not listed and overlooked, i have shopped
denniskirk, rockymountainatv, bikebandit, discounttire, ebay. looks like the ebay prices are the best.

so any help would be great. i just spent the weekend riding in deep snow and they worked good but i know some more height and bite would help all around on gravel roads and trails.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No experience in MN, but I'm one state to the west and i have a couple friends on the mud rebels and they like them. I just switched my SRA rancher to 12's in the back as well and I went with 25" CST Abuzz. I was looking for an all terrain for mainly pasture riding chasing cows and some trail riding, some mud but no mud holes and snow.

Scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i actually went with the sunf 26" tire, they looked more all terrain and i got them for 320 on Ebay.
i then mounted them to itp black steel rims and took them for a spin saturday with the 1 foot of snow we got in minnesota and i am very impressed.

i was towing my bro in law behind the quad with a sled and my sister also and they grabbed the snow and took off. cornered well also.
i cant wait to take these to the off road park in gilbert and see what they can do.

also mounting them on the rims was not to horrible. large tire iron and wd40 in a spray bottle.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
The sizes you’ve specified are suitable, any bigger than a 26” and you’ll need a gear reduction. Having equal sized wheels and tyres won’t cause any issues binding up the transmission, the ratio difference is extremely small and you have 2x4 and 4x4 selectable anyway.
Kenda Bearclaws are a very good all round tyre, I had them on my 300, they do well on all terrain. @drag_slick mentioned CST (maxxis) Abuzz, these are also a good all round tyre but very flat topped, I found these to be heavy in the steering.

Edit: Just noticed after posting this that you’ve already bought SunF lol

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
just to be clear the size of the rim/wheel. has NOTHING to do with drive line issue's
the important factor is, you NEED over all diameter of tires front and back to be the same, the size of the wheel doesn't matter with gearing issue's
its overall dia. of tires!
larger wheels will give LESS forgiveness in ride quality on bumps
the 11's will have a more tire between the wheel edge and the ground, thus they work a LITTLE more as a shock LOL think older school ATC"S that had NO shocks, or 6-8 wheelier's , that have NO shocks still and rely on tires doing that work!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i ride alot in the arrowhead of minnesota, gilbert off road park, soo line trails,
i just picked up a new 2017 honda rancher 4x4 dct irs.

i want to put a different set of tires and rims on it. so the stock are great for trails and gravel
but im looking for a bit more height and some more bite.

my stock are f 24x8x12 r 24x10x11
i was eyeing f 26x9x12 r 26x11x12 as a size.

first thing first is buying 4... 12x7 black itp delta rims. now is having a 12 rear rim as opposed to 11 going to cause the differential gears to become damaged?

i have 3 sets of tire i was looking at but was hoping anyone that rides hard gravel, hard packed trails and rocky terrain with light mud here and there and possible snow what they thought was a good all around.
looking for pros and cons on
4 CST MAXXIS ANCLA 360$
4 KENDA BEAR CLAW EVO 315$
4 SunF 26x8-12 & 26x10-12 ATV Tires 340$
4 Sedona Mud Rebel 290$ but only 25inches high.

or offer up some tires for me to look at that i have not listed and overlooked, i have shopped
denniskirk, rockymountainatv, bikebandit, discounttire, ebay. looks like the ebay prices are the best.

so any help would be great. i just spent the weekend riding in deep snow and they worked good but i know some more height and bite would help all around on gravel roads and trails.
Gilbert is a blast! Think my cat is still stained red from 15 years ago. Don't overlook radials, if you're mostly Trail riding with occasional mud and snow they are great. I had 26 inch Goodyear on my cat, it would hold its own most everywhere and still rode good. My main bike was foreman 450 with 12 inch wide vampires, go anywhere but rough ride

1 - 7 of 7 Posts