Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done everything I can think of and followed most suggestions short of putting the damn thing beside the road hoping someone will stop and steal it. It is a 2002 TRX350FM FE2and it performed flawlessly for 17 years until i parked it with gas in the carb and forgot it. Since that time I have yet to successfully stop the fuel leak from the overflow hose on the carb bowl.. I have rebuilt the carb so many times I've lost count with kits (Moose) purchased from the local dealer. I have purchased a OEM Honda carb and it did ok for about a month and they wouldn't take it back - (too late to return). Neither carb has an adjustable float and you cannot remove the needle valve seat because it is pressed in. I have pressure tested and no leaks around the seat. Replaced the gas line, washed out the gas tank twice, replaced the in tank filter that fits on the shut off valve. The closest dealership won't service anything over 7 years old!!! I could not believe it when they told me that. I am the original owner and bought it new when I was 50 years old so you know it has been abused!

Kaihin VE 94EA is the carb and I have found no where anybody has a replacement with another brand and not gonna buy the Chinese knockoff. Kaihin will not respond in any way and this is not an uncommon problem from what I've read. The only thing I can think of is an adjustable float. The service manual reviews it but no one seem to know anything about availability. If anybody has had any lasting success I would sure appreciate you sharing it with me if you don't mind.

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
245 Posts
I fixed my buddies a few years ago by replacing the needle. The needle seat is non replaceable so honda uses a soft rubber tipped needle that wears out first. Buy one from honda not an am one.
If you look closely at the needle you will see a wear mark where it touches the seat.

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
These model carbs have problems with the float assembly. Unfortunately I haven’t found a valve seat kit—my 02 FE has never had any carb problems tho. Lucky, right?
Eric points out you’re using aftermarket float needles. Are you cleaning the valve seat? I use Shindy, K&L or OEM. Try something different like K&L, and while you’re in there, gently buff the valve seat with a cotton swab—wet it with Berryman Chemtool first. I would also replace the float.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I fixed my buddies a few years ago by replacing the needle. The needle seat is non replaceable so honda uses a soft rubber tipped needle that wears out first. Buy one from honda not an am one.
If you look closely at the needle you will see a wear mark where it touches the seat.
I have replaced the needle several times with the new needle supplied in the Moose kit and it has not improved the situation and the Kit was bought at the Honda Dealer. That is what they use according to the parts/service people.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These model carbs have problems with the float assembly. Unfortunately I haven’t found a valve seat kit—my 02 FE has never had any carb problems tho. Lucky, right?
Eric points out you’re using aftermarket float needles. Are you cleaning the valve seat? I use Shindy, K&L or OEM. Try something different like K&L, and while you’re in there, gently buff the valve seat with a cotton swab—wet it with Berryman Chemtool first. I would also replace the float.
I have cleaned the seat on the original carb with fine compound with a Q-tip, but did not clean the seat on the new OEM carb that started leaking a month or so after installing. I have today come up with a new theory being that I am still getting somehow and I don't know how a very small amount of trash from the gas tank that i washed and cleaned a best as I could. I did replace the screen on the fuel petcock internal port and that should have fixed the problem but when I had the tank off I removed the gas gauge and the float guides were rusty as hell. No problem i'll just buy another and found out they are no longer available! They want $480.00 for a new plastic gas tank and don't sell a replacement gas gage? I'm sorry but I cannot fathom that decision. What are people suppose to do so I cleaned the old gage up as best as I could and put it back in the tank. If you we to buy a new tank with my luck there would be trash in it too and there is no failsafe way to insure the cleaning method you have chosen has been completely successful. I have always burned non-ethanol gas.

At this point my machine is worth more in parts by far than the fun I'm having.

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
245 Posts
I have replaced the needle several times with the new needle supplied in the Moose kit and it has not improved the situation and the Kit was bought at the Honda Dealer. That is what they use according to the parts/service people.
Aftermarket parts picked up at the honda dealer are still aftermarket parts lol. Buy an OEM HONDA needle.
You can also install a inline filter in the gas line before the carb, its a pain as there's no room but it will stop dirt from the tank from plugging up the carb. They sell some pretty small ones for bikes/atvs online some with 90 degree hook ups to make fitting them easier. I dont know which will fit best, its been a while since I look at a rancher.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aftermarket parts picked up at the honda dealer are still aftermarket parts lol. Buy an OEM HONDA needle.
You can also install a inline filter in the gas line before the carb, its a pain as there's no room but it will stop dirt from the tank from plugging up the carb. They sell some pretty small ones for bikes/atvs online some with 90 degree hook ups to make fitting them easier. I dont know which will fit best, its been a while since I look at a rancher.
Thanks I had thought about adding a filter in the gas line but couldn't figure out the best place to locate it since there is so little space so I was still trying other things. I will try an OEM needle next and have already replaced the float which was original with another OEM float. Question could depending on the amount of gas in the tank and it being higher than the float, is it possible if there were problems with the petcock on the tank there would be enough head pressure to unseat the needle, flood the carb and thus you get a leak out the overflow tube? Reaching now.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Are you seeing sediment in the bowl?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have done everything I can think of and followed most suggestions short of putting the damn thing beside the road hoping someone will stop and steal it. It is a 2002 TRX350FM FE2and it performed flawlessly for 17 years until i parked it with gas in the carb and forgot it. Since that time I have yet to successfully stop the fuel leak from the overflow hose on the carb bowl.. I have rebuilt the carb so many times I've lost count with kits (Moose) purchased from the local dealer. I have purchased a OEM Honda carb and it did ok for about a month and they wouldn't take it back - (too late to return). Neither carb has an adjustable float and you cannot remove the needle valve seat because it is pressed in. I have pressure tested and no leaks around the seat. Replaced the gas line, washed out the gas tank twice, replaced the in tank filter that fits on the shut off valve. The closest dealership won't service anything over 7 years old!!! I could not believe it when they told me that. I am the original owner and bought it new when I was 50 years old so you know it has been abused!

Kaihin VE 94EA is the carb and I have found no where anybody has a replacement with another brand and not gonna buy the Chinese knockoff. Kaihin will not respond in any way and this is not an uncommon problem from what I've read. The only thing I can think of is an adjustable float. The service manual reviews it but no one seem to know anything about availability. If anybody has had any lasting success I would sure appreciate you sharing it with me if you don't mind.
the float level is the problem, too high allowing too much fuel, hence the fuel expels via the overflow hose

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the float level is the problem, too high allowing too much fuel, hence the fuel expels via the overflow hose
Yep, your exactly right but the problem is the float is non adjustable all plastic molded. No way to adjust that I know of. I have a brand new OEM float in and it still leaks like the Titanic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only other i can think of is loose drain screw.
Thanks but the drain screw is tight. All I can think of is there is a slight difference in the aftermarket needle valve and an OEM so I have ordered it and hopefully that will make a difference because I'm embarrassed to say how much it cost and admit I paid that much but I'm running out of options at this point. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts