Honda ATV Forum banner

Looking at 88 Fourtrax 300

4K views 34 replies 6 participants last post by  Goober 
#1 ·
Hi, new to the board. I'm considering buying a 1988 Fourtrax 300 4x4, the machine looks decent and has an asking price of $700. Some of the details are new CDI box and starter, apparently has a couple of reinforcement bars underneath that someone added? Guess it runs good. I kind of feel like this is a decent deal considering the reliability of the machine, any other opinions are welcome.

#9 · (Edited)
for 700 ? I'd look it over real good be sure to check the inside of the gas tank and air box color n level of the oil , and test ride it, from what i see she looks in grand shape, do you know if it came with the front rack ? I'd ask about that as well, the black grill is a strange...... Bat man idition ?

#10 ·
I think it was painted black, the guy said he got it in trade but said it runs great, most likely has no idea about the rack. I'll check the oil, what should I be looking for inside the gas tank and the air box? He said it has a new air filter, CDI box plugs and tires are decent.

#11 ·
Good deal look for rust in the tank and the condition of the foam element (if it's oiled good) , it would a big help if you could post us pics of both.... :)

#12 ·
I'd also. Put an eye ball on the rear axle specially the right side hub axle joint, and all four front cv boots.

#15 ·
Just found a 2000 Fourtrax 4x4 for $500 near my house! This was the add:
It does run and move and has a new top end but sounds like a timing or carb issue. Has 4 good tires on it. It does need work but minor work.

I'm going to check this out tomorrow and leaning toward it because the '88 is 1.5 hours from my house, this one is literally 15 mins away. What do you guys think?

https://scontent.fzty2-1.fna.fbcdn....=a1653ef43aa3c4d0afbeccddad2ddde8&oe=59EC51F3

#16 ·
for 500 bucks, its a good deal, no front rack ?, don't see in pic, how much time and money are you wanting to spend to make it right ?. just because its 500 bucks, does not mean it won't take 1k to fix it !..lol. and parts are getting harder to locate these days.

#21 ·
Yeah pretty easy to bring the color back. That '88 has been painted that's why it looks so mint, it actually has a lot of use. Going to check out the '00 in a couple hours, anything I should look for in the suspension and underneath? Is there any way to check the compression without a tester?

#22 ·
yesterday we rode , a friend came over with his 88 300 , he is an older guy that is a little slow and we call him Grandpa , his 88 is nice and is snorkeled , 54% reduction with some 30 inch Silver Backs on it , so we were ragging him all day to show us something , he said he wasn't doing that but let his godchild's husband hit the bad hole a few times for us on his bike , and it was awesome , but John is an animal rider and has a stock 300 with 26's so he has the feel for the bike , all he talked about after that was , he was going to modify his bike

#27 ·
Alright I bought the 2000 Fourtrax 300 4x4 for $500, it starts but when he held it wide open it would not do anything more than idle. I guess that means gas not getting through. Tires on it are like new and worth the selling price alone. Here's some pics

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=7648a4ec3c7d432717f3fcee272cf0ff&oe=59EEA463

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=89753963aaa93d21f40f9b7944917f9c&oe=59EF889E

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=161c7f759c760fc92bee639c6ada576a&oe=59EEB1F9

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=974c1e7dc2c73533f1dc692e46688c3a&oe=59EF87ED

#31 ·
You need a bolt in that kick start lever, the splines won’t last long without it. There’s also an inspection plug missing from your starter casing, be handy to get one of those sooner rather than later too.
Looks pretty much all together, just wants a little love.

The link you posted is the lift kit to fit your ATV, only my opinion but I’d get all the little more important things up together first, a lift really doesn’t make much difference to warrant priority.

Reactions: Goober
#34 ·
if you can come up with some 2 inch square tubing , a hand held band saw , reciprocating saw , torch or even a grinder with a thin cutting wheel , you can make your own lift blocks , I know $70 isn't a lot of money but , it could be used for something else you want

now if you are talking a real lift kit and not shock extensions , it can get up there $ , a front 4 inch lift , new longer axles and steering bar can set you back $1,000 for just the front , then you need a rear swing extension , 54% reduction to turn the bigger tires , some new shocks , you can be $2,500-3,000 by the time you are finished

the lift kit won't break the bank , just make other parts wear out quicker and break , but you have to pay to play ! hehe

Attachments

#35 ·
The tank doesn’t look like it fits properly is it bolted in and resting on the front tank supports? The front rack and bumper is all bent up trying to make it fit.
Not trying to knock your ride but want to make sure you’re buying the right parts
Those look like 2000 fender guards but I can’t tell for sure if the tank or the fenders are proper. Do you have a title that says it’s a 2000?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.