Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just want to get your opinion on a possible trade I might do. A guy wants to trade me his 06 400ex. Its black, the plastics are pretty scratched, but only one crack and "cleans up nice". The motor blew up so he put a brand new one from honda in and its just past the break in period. I'd be gettin it pretty much all stock, but I'd only be into $1800 (askin 1200 for my quad and he wants 600 more). Anything I should be wary of? My friend mentioned somethin about a recall on a year around 06 where the 400's would slam into reverse during 5th gear but he wasnt sure what year it was. Any opinions would be great.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
My buddy has an 06 with no issues, the 400ex is an outstanding trail/race quad IMO

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Sounds like a good but i would offer mine and $300 and if he still wants $600 tell him split the differance and do $450, thats what i would do.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
My friend mentioned somethin about a recall on a year around 06 where the 400's would slam into reverse during 5th gear but he wasnt sure what year it was.
That's the first I've heard of that, but I'm not saying it isn't true. I've just never heard of it.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I have never heard of that recall either. Especially since reverse is below 1st... right???

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I have never heard of that recall either. Especially since reverse is below 1st... right???
Yep, reverse is below first on the shifter.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had never heard of it before either, it might just be a rumor. I was originally looking for somethin a couple years older thats already been modified (pipe, air filter, etc.) but it sounds like a pretty good deal if its got a new motor. It has a pipe and nerf bars on it now, but he was takin those off to lower the price cuz he was asking 2800.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope so. You guys think I could get my money back out of it if I needed to? Im headin of to college in a month and theres always a chance I could run short on cash.

·
Registered
137 Posts
As for how much money your putting into it, thats a pretty solid deal. I got my 2008 TRX400 for like $4,500 a couple months ago, but then again it was brand new at that point. The only thing I would say is take the thing for a ride. Run it through all the gears, reverse, everything. Chances are the engine is fine, but you never know, any number of things could have gone wrong during the rebuild. Other than that, sounds good and good luck!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Well, I think I just found the recall that your friend was probably talking about, but the problem was going from first into reverse, instead of from fifth into reverse.

This is what the recall hazard is:

Hazard: A safety defect could exist in the transmission that could allow the rider to downshift from 1st gear into reverse without operating the reverse assist (lockout) lever. The reverse lockout spring may not have been properly installed. Unintended engagement of reverse gear while moving forward could lock the rear wheels and cause the rider to lose control.

Recall Alert

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
i can see how you can be going to first..then hit reverse..seeing how they are close to each other..but from 5th to reverse ??..nah..no way..and no..i didn't take my smart pill today !..lol..as for the purchase..sounds like a good deal..question is..why is HE selling it ?..short on cash himself..or is there something wrong with it...he's not telling you ????..like stated..give it a good going over..see how the tranny shifts..check for smoke while it runs,,check the carrier for bad bearings..look for anything that may sound or hear bad.

·
Registered
548 Posts
A friend of mine has an 05' and loves it. When he went to the dealer about the recall they punched I believe an X just above the shifter to indicate that it has been fixed, may want to check for some type of stamp or ask the dealer he got the engine from.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
A friend of mine has an 05' and loves it. When he went to the dealer about the recall they punched I believe an X just above the shifter to indicate that it has been fixed, may want to check for some type of stamp or ask the dealer he got the engine from.
good info ^^^^..kinda makes me wonder why he's getting rid of his ??..lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
The recall was real. The dealer told me my 2005/ first year w/ reverse had it done before I picked it up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a great deal,,,work with it and see if you can get the lowest amount. Always the smartest thing to do...as far as selling it, Honda has a high resale and doesn't sit on the market long if taken care of

·
Registered
545 Posts
the 05 honda 400exs had a recall for the reverse mechanism which could go into reverse if you were in 1st and you "forgot" which gear you were in could go from 1st to reverse, but not 5th to reverse. you can go to the honda dealer and run the VIN and see if the recall has been performed

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I'll play the devil's advocate.

I'm always wary of "motor just rebuilt" or "brand new motor from Honda" when buying anything. I don't have ANY experience with atvs, but with cars, I have quite a bit. And when someone rebuilds a motor and ends up selling it, it usually means 1 of 2 things.

1. The rebuild didn't go well, and instead of tearing back into it to find the problem, they just sell it. Too much time and money already invested.
2. They were rebuilding it to sell, and didn't put the time OR money that should be put into the thing. Probably took shortcuts etc.

I'd ask for the receipt from the Honda dealer showing that the motor actually came from Honda. There should be some sort of warranty if it did right?

Of course, it could be that you luck into something that was rebuilt by forum member Helmut, or TRX2five0 or one of the other forum members who know what they are doing, but my experience has pretty much followed the norm. Most people don't have a clue except how to rip people off. I searched an searched for 4 wheelers and some guys definition of "excellent" was far from mine. The best one was a guy who said "minor scratches" I drove 2 hours and it was beat to hell! Also, a "freshly built motor" could be new valves and a spark plug...lol

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
lol, this post is from July 2010, why is everyone responding? HA HA HA, he likely already purchased it, I wonder how it worked out? :D

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I'll play the devil's advocate.

I'm always wary of "motor just rebuilt" or "brand new motor from Honda" when buying anything. I don't have ANY experience with atvs, but with cars, I have quite a bit. And when someone rebuilds a motor and ends up selling it, it usually means 1 of 2 things.

1. The rebuild didn't go well, and instead of tearing back into it to find the problem, they just sell it. Too much time and money already invested.
2. They were rebuilding it to sell, and didn't put the time OR money that should be put into the thing. Probably took shortcuts etc.

I'd ask for the receipt from the Honda dealer showing that the motor actually came from Honda. There should be some sort of warranty if it did right?

Of course, it could be that you luck into something that was rebuilt by forum member Helmut, or TRX2five0 or one of the other forum members who know what they are doing, but my experience has pretty much followed the norm. Most people don't have a clue except how to rip people off. I searched an searched for 4 wheelers and some guys definition of "excellent" was far from mine. The best one was a guy who said "minor scratches" I drove 2 hours and it was beat to hell! Also, a "freshly built motor" could be new valves and a spark plug...lol
I know this is an old thread, but I'm going to respond to your post anyway. I completely agree with your post. When I'm looking to buy a used ATV, I would rather buy a stock ATV. If they start telling me that it has a big bore kit or any kind of engine work done, I'm usually not interested. I don't care how much money they say they have invested or how good the ATV looks, I'll pass unless I can get it for a very, very low price. An aftermarket pipe and air filter or suspension parts are fine, but I stay away from any engine work. Usually, that's why they're wanting to sell. I would rather have a stock engine that doesn't knock, rattle, or smoke than have a "freshly rebuilt engine". If any engine work is done, I want to do it myself. I usually look at the gasket areas and the heads of the bolts to see if the engine has ever been apart. I would much rather buy one that has never been apart.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts