Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an F150 with 6.5 ft bed and wanting to put a lumber rack on it. My question is if I get a 4 wheeler (partial to Honda's) could I load it with in the truck with the lumber rack installed? I know that at least the rear rack crossmember can be removed but would I be required to also remove the middle crossmember to load? Would there be any clearance issues after it's loaded that would affect the use of the lumber rack? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks, Michael

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I've never done what you are about to do, but hopefully someone else who has will chime in soon.

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Maybe a tilt trailer would be best to haul your atv. Otherwise you’re having to limit the length of your atv or load it partially on your tailgate.
I have an 8ft bed and an 8ft tilt trailer—works ok except I can’t backup the small trailer well.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I suspect you can load it with the cross bar on the lumber rack, but if an available option to remove it quickly then that would be the ticket. Be sure when you load the ATV in the truck to monitor closely how far you can pull up towards the cab and not run the bumper into the back window/smash it out....

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
I suspect you can load it with the cross bar on the lumber rack, but if an available option to remove it quickly then that would be the ticket. Be sure when you load the ATV in the truck to monitor closely how far you can pull up towards the cab and not run the bumper into the back window/smash it out....
Yup I put my straps and other gear in a couple of kitty litter boxes and use those for tire chocks

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah.. if you can remove the rear cross member of the lumber rack... you can load the ATV into the bed.. if not it WILL get a little tight!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks guys. Now the next step is to convince my wife that purchasing an ATV is a valid use of some of our retirement fun money.
My wife was the one pushing us to get the ATV, I slow-rolled it.

After a couple sessions pushing snow with it, I'm glad she didn't give up. It works great as a tractor around our acreage in the summertime, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts