Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pricing a 2012 Foreman 500fpe in KY and TN and have found prices in TN a lot cheaper. If I purchase in TN, I don't have to pay tax because I'm a KY resident. The TN dealers are telling me there is nothing to worry about but it's making me a little nervous. Anyone done this?

Thanks, Brent

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
you can do that as long as you dont get it registered. You only have to register it of your riding on public land. When you go to get it registered though you get hit with the taxes then. At least thats how it is in my state

·
Registered
145 Posts
I live in louisville, a friend of mine purchased a 4wheeler from tn a while back, and has had no issues with the taxes.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Brent:
Most likely, you can avoid taxes if you can get the Tennesse dealer to show that they delivered the atv to you in Kentucky.
Whether you have to pay taxes when you 'register' the atv varies from State to State. Here in Colorado, one must register their off-road vehicles and boats with Colorado Parks and Recreation - who has no authority, or interested in collecting sales taxes. However, in some other states, registration of similar vehicles and boats is made with the State Department of Revenue - who specializes in collecting taxes. So, it really depends on the State(s). Nevertheless, if you can have the dealer in Tenn show that they delivered it to you, then that will greatly diminish the likelihood that you will be taxed on your purchase - especially in Tennesse.
(By the way, even here in Colorado.... if you purchase an motorsports vehicle, or boat, in one County, and have it delivered to you in another County, then you can avoid paying city or county tax on it!..... I know.....because I do it :) ]

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I have a friend that just bought a razor from abernathy's in TN and he had to pay KY sales tax not Tn.I guess it is something new because another guy I know bought one there last year and didn't have to pay any sales tax.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys! I know that I don't have to register the atv in KY. From what I've found, inorder to obtain the title, I'll have to pay taxes. Atleast that's my understanding. I'm going to dig a little deaper and keep everyone posted. If I can avoid the tax and save some additional money, why the hell not! No matter what, these machines are much, much cheaper in TN.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Brent, Tax laws are definately different from State to State, County to County, and even city to city. Here in Colorado, only a Bill Of Sale (and No Title) is needed to register an atv, or boat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts