Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought our 6 year old his first big boy quad for his birthday. We found a 2000 Trx 90 on cl that came with 400ex front end (so we were told,) rear wheel spacers, nerf bars, dg bumper, big gun evo, sand paddles, and an extra motor. Today was his first time riding it. He did awesome.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats, I love seeing kids getting into any type of outdoor activity. My 5year old daughter has a 50cc Yamaha raptor and she absolutely loves it. Keep up the good work and I wish you many years of fun and father/son bonding experiences.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
I can't say I've seen one in its standard form but I love its wide stance, nice and stable for your little man.
He'll be joining you on trails before you know it.

Reactions: MattPDX

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. So the bike came with an extra motor and through a Facebook group I was able to track down 2 previous owners, one of such said the 114 was blown. So I opened it up and these are my findings.

It smells burnt. You can definitely tell that it was burning oil. The dipstick was totally melted and in pieces. After getting it broken down some I'm not so sure its actually blown. I think it just may be the head gasket. I only tore down the top end and side cover due to being suspicious on the overall state of the motor.

No damage to the piston.

Can't tell but the cylinder is smooth with no visible scoring or damage.

Inside is clean and shiney.

I don't exactly know what I'm looking for here but to me it looks like just a blown head gasket. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looks good but it melted the dip stick. Must have gotten pretty hot. Check any parts that could be affected by heat. Seals and bearings for the most part. Other than that these motors are pretty durable.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
You cannot tell if a top ends needs reworked by eye. I would drop the piston and cylinder off at a reputable machine shop and have them measure it for wear.

you may be surprised what you find. but its better to get it checked then put it back together only to tear it down again.

also, take the head to so they can look that over and at the very least install valve stem seals.

check your cam chain for stretch too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.