Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi Trailfreak,

I like the old air-cooled bikes the most too. Foremans are one of the best work bikes IMO, probably in part due to their being so low geared. And heavy. Still a fun and nimble bike tho.

This project is a bit off the wall for me since I am doing it for a friend, and to have a winter project to keep me busy until the snow melt. If I were doing a 450 to keep for myself tho, I would buy a bike in good, unmolested condition to restore. Thats just me personally tho... I'd spend a bit less overall and I'd work half as hard, doing it. The result can be the same no matter what you start out with. I'm sure I'll have as much fun (and be challenged everyday) doing this beater bike up, as I would a more desirable prospect.

The buying price ya gotta pay for one is always the toughest pill to swallow. The project itself gets fun real quick! Be patient while ya gotta... and be ready with cash in hand if a great deal comes along on a Sunday... Do what ya gotta do to have fun and expand your knowledge, thats the point of playing this game.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Retro , I have a 450 engine with the top off that is sitting for parts , would guess the stator is good , it's yours if you need it
Thanks fishfiles! I tested the stator and its good... everything else on the bike is junk tho. The battery looks like the original Yuasa (dead shorted) thats probably why the regulator/rectifier fried. I bought a used rectifier from PSN, along with a big box full of other needed used parts. I'm sure I'll be hitting PSN up for more once I get it completely apart.

Get this: I got 3 Pivot Works bearing/seal kits on the way... complete front wheel bearing kit, rear wheel bearing kit and a steering stem bearing kit... all 3 kits for only $69.11 shipped! Lifetime guaranteed! I'm learnin' from you guys... Thanks for the tip!
I think Pivot Works are better than OEM bearings , just change the grease in them and make them last even longer

·
Registered
613 Posts
The perfect winter project for you! Not only does that little pig need lipstick, but nail polish too! There's not a stocking in the world that could make that Forman look sexy. Fairy vs. Pig. LOL

I thought my front wheels looked bad. Yikes, those are terrible. Those cylinders look like the ones I took off my Recon. If they will fit yours I'll send them your way. Sorry that I don't have anything else to offer.

Will be so much fun to follow this undertaking. No doubt the final result will be a pig that wins the ribbon at the county fair.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
what of the baking soda blaster. i havent seen it mentioned in a long while.
DE-Earth, is a very fine substance, to clean with.. if it gets in your lungs, it is way worst that fiber-glass, ever was. you should just only read about, how sharp moon dust is. now that, is in my mind, i have to find out if its sharper than diamond dust.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you have a media blaster?
Over on the three-wheeler site a guy was describing bead blasting a carb. Unfortunately that thread is gone but he said he used glass bead to clean the carb bodies, not sand, because sand is too abrasive.
I use baking soda but it makes a hell of a mess
Works awesome on aluminium and cleans up (dissolves) with warm water but if the aluminium is in rough shape then glass beads or crushed walnut shells are a better option

Cheap gravity feed blaster

Blasting with baking soda

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
10 Participants
retro
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing