1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I use this but it wastes a lot of grease.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bearing-Packe...qid=1491867626&sr=8-7&keywords=bearing+grease

That lisle one you posted looks better. I think those ones in the 2nd link are nothing but a gimmick, the idea you can grease a sealed bearing without removing the seals all while leaving it in the knuckle seems kind of stupid. You basically do 90% of the work that you would do if you were actually replacing the bearings....

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I pack everything by hand that I can get out of the machine. I bought a packer once many years ago and hated it cause they are impossible to keep dirt out/off of them and they waste a lot of grease that ends up on your hands anyway. You need a packer for every different type of grease ya got too, so I will never use them.

To reach under the seal lips on bearings that will cost me money if I try to remove them... I use a needle injector (cost about $6 or so) to load bearings with fresh grease. If I can get to the opposite side seal I'll poke a needle under that seal lip farthest away from my injector needle and flush out the old grease as its' getting pumped full of new.

If a bearing has steel shields/seals on them (no room for a needle injector) that are crimped on permanently, I'll sand off a spot on each side and drill a tiny hole in each of the shields and pump them full of grease. The sanded holes are then wiped clean with alcohol and capped with either JB-Weld epoxy or 3M Weatherstrip adhesive.

Nowadays, every new bearing is sold empty (and every brand new machine has empty bearings on it!), so I always wash out the Yak-Fat they ship the bearings with, and repack them with my own known-to-be-good grease.

·
Premium Member
12,683 Posts
You spend more time cleaning up the mess than it takes to pack them by hand , and I doubt it does as good a job as by hand -----what would be nice is some type of Bearing Buddies on the front where you could pump grease into the bearings ----

I see a lot of people with tube type straight rear ends are now drilling and tapping holes into the axle tubes and pumping them full of grease , they say it keeps the water from getting to the diff seals and gets grease to the outer axle tube bearings , I think I may do that ---------

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
The only reason I like the cone tool is that it does a good job of pushing the old grease out of the bearings, it's hard to do that by hand. Although I have cleaned out bearings with brake clean and repacked them with grease by hand before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use this but it wastes a lot of grease.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bearing-Packe...qid=1491867626&sr=8-7&keywords=bearing+grease

That lisle one you posted looks better. I think those ones in the 2nd link are nothing but a gimmick, the idea you can grease a sealed bearing without removing the seals all while leaving it in the knuckle seems kind of stupid. You basically do 90% of the work that you would do if you were actually replacing the bearings....

I was trying to figure out how the 2nd style works.

I think it pushes grease up in the slot between the inner races, and pushes grease up and through the bearing that way.

I do agree that if you have it to that point, you've almost got the bearing out anyway, so I don't see the point in leaving it in the knuckle.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Lisle 34550 Handy Packer Bearing Packer
^^^^^^^
Once you use one of these you wont go pack to hand lubes, I've packed a lot of bearings as an aircraft mech.
I think HF has one for like $8

Reactions: Wsg and Jeepwm69

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
My Dad made a vacuum for packing bearings, throw the bearings in, mush the grease around, turn the pump on for 5 minutes, loose the pressure out and the bearings are done. Works really, really well.
This was made when we had ArgoCats, it got painful packing all those axle bearings!!

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Yes, rodp has it up north. It's nothing pretty but it works very well. I'll get him to mail me a picture, or post direct to here.

Reactions: Jeepwm69

·
Registered
223 Posts
I used the lisle packing new and repacking, it is a great tool to clean bearing by forcing out the old. Packed more than 3000 bearing a year. Now I did use it under my arbour press. Broke one every couple of years not realizing it was empty.lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I bought this the other day. Works excellent for most Honda front wheel bearings. No mess, pushes old grease out and replaces with new. I have only used it to pack new bearings after cleaning out factory grease though.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
I bought this the other day. Works excellent for most Honda front wheel bearings. No mess, pushes old grease out and replaces with new. I have only used it to pack new bearings after cleaning out factory grease though.

Just looked at those, what a brilliant bit of kit! Not a bad price either are they.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.