Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my wide open 424 in the mail yesterday for one of my 300's. Let's see how you mounted the things.

I know a lot of people put it on the front rack, but I saw one that was mounted to the front fender just under the handlebars on the left side of the plastic.

Just would like to see some pics on where and how people are mounting them.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
This is my setup, I've seen some mounted to the back left corner of the front rack, i wanted mine at a closer reach, you'll love that switch out jeep! , hey.... That was one of the best investments i made for my ride!

Attachments

Reactions: Jeepwm69

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Interesting that both of you mounted to plastics instead of rack. I guess you snake the cable down through the hold where the rack comes up through the fender?

Thanks for the pics! I got lucky and got this 424 cheap on Amazon and it was still in a sealed box.

Now I just need to get time to get the bike running. Have knuckles with new bearings and ball joints and a disc brake conversion to go on the front, a 350D rear end with Don Oglesby brackets to go in the rear, and the 424 to get installed, then hopefully with a carb clean and battery it will be ready to ride.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Yeah on mine your exactly right! Snakes right through that rack mount hole, here's pic of the rack mount, rancher , they don't show a rack mount 300 on the instruction book.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Mine's also mounted to the plastics as per instructions .... on the 450S.
Seldom if ever use it .... quad just handles better in full time 4 wheel drive. Just my perception !

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is going on a bike for my kids (well, teenagers now, but both girls) so they'll need the 2wd option for ease of steering. They tend to go around mud when they see it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Seldom if ever use it .... quad just handles better in full time 4 wheel drive. Just my perception !
Not to hijack...
But this is something that I had on my "LIST" of things to order... but why do you feel that it handles "better" in 4wd? With the price.. I don't want to regret my purchase... so just looking for honest opinions..

Thanks man...

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
you know now that you say that , the first 4x2 I had , the cable control looked just like the pic of the one that goes thru the plastic on the green 450 , I got a rebuild bearing and seal kit that comes with a new cable and control knob and the new one looked like the other 2 pics where the bracket is bolted to the fender , seems to me they may have changed the cable right after Wide Open took over from Warn

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Not to hijack...
But this is something that I had on my "LIST" of things to order... but why do you feel that it handles "better" in 4wd? With the price.. I don't want to regret my purchase... so just looking for honest opinions..

Thanks man...
MM has a deferent fwd model honda , his could steer better in fwd, ...... A 300 fwd will def steer easier in two drive then 4 wheel drive .

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Jeep there's a Slight anti wrap strap mod i plan on, and fish could add more to this, he's had his anti wrap strap slide on the frame tube and so have i , i haven't done this mod to mine yet, but I'll post pics when. I do, the pic shows the rubber strap and u bolt , not very much of the gripping strap is on the frame tube it should have a rubber strap all the around the frame tube, then clamped, I don't if wide open changed this design when it swopped from warn to wide open....and cut those existing thread shanks off level at the nut.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
you know now that you say that , the first 4x2 I had , the cable control looked just like the pic of the one that goes thru the plastic on the green 450 , I got a rebuild bearing and seal kit that comes with a new cable and control knob and the new one looked like the other 2 pics where the bracket is bolted to the fender , seems to me they may have changed the cable right after Wide Open took over from Warn
450S ..... Warn unit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
I really want a 4x2 for my blue 300 , only problem is it is a 1st gen and the drive shaft needs to be modified for it to work , the average cost of the 4x2 is $369 , and with the mod done by someone it is $550 -----

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I saw that Jean is the only guy who does it.

Since I've picked up 4 300's now and don't plan on keeping all of them, that pretty much decided that the 1st gen will be the one to go. That and parts seem to be easier to find for the later models.

I have an 88, a 95, and the other two are 3rd gens, not sure exactly what year they are. Think one is a 97

1 - 17 of 17 Posts