Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Interested to hear what light kits members liked/ didn't like

Installed a set of OEM accessory light mounts (designed for Canadian TRX300) for my '86. Want to install a set of LED spotlights that look similar to the original spotlights, which are very cool but also rare, overpriced battery hogs. I am looking at minimum 800 Lumens b/c I am using original stator--amp draw is a concern for me.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
800 lumens is the equivalent to 60 watts or thereabouts. I've had a quick google search and there are online calculators available to work out the current draw. If I worked the calculator correctly 800 lumens draws a 5.8 amps.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Ram makes a led version of mine, i took out the 35 watt none led, and went with a 100 watt halogen, this ram kit was nos, only 20 bucks with the gator grip mount, you can rotate it in about every direction, i did find one of the oem spot lights, but SHEESH it's listed at 400 bucks, so i passed, here's a pic, with a gator grip, and coil cord, you can mount on ether front racks or back!

Attachments

Reactions: Goober

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yep I have a 22" I got for $20 and two 6 led pods I got for like $12 and they are on my truck. Brighter then the high beams. Just be careful because so you need to put rtv in. All that is is you pull the Allen screws off the front and put a small bead all the way across the outside rim and maybe where the wire goes in but that's not a big deal. That seals the water out and keeps them from leaking.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
749 Posts
Just get cheap led lights off Amazon. I got 2 pod lights for under $20 and they have been on my rincon for 2 years. No problems and didn't bother dealing them. They go underwater some also. Just wired them into my high beam lights

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
800 lumens is the equivalent to 60 watts or thereabouts. I've had a quick google search and there are online calculators available to work out the current draw. If I worked the calculator correctly 800 lumens draws a 5.8 amps.

Watts divided by volts = amps

If you need to do it on the fly.. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
LOL I forgot about E=IxR and P=IxE
P (Power)= I (current) x (volts)
Watts/Volts = Amps
18/12 = 1.5A each light thanks
12/1.5 = 8 ohm resistance each

The stock headlamp is rated at 60/55W 5A

Keeping in mind the current draw on the same wire would be additive! So the wiring/fusing has to be rated for at least 3A

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-ohm.htm

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help I also found charts comparing lumens with incandescent halogen and LED outputs. Haven't yet found a calculator that will allow choosing amongst them

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My light kit arrived came with a 40A harness and integrated waterproof switch with stick-on adhesive backing. Price also included a waterproof handlebar switch that I may not need. Jazzed about installing it tomorrow on my day off

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Installed the light kit almost without problems. The controls circuit is powered by the accessory plug so when the key is switched off the "off" light is illuminated; the 40A circuit is energized by the controls circuit "on" switch.
The flood lights work well and are very bright.
The one problem I had is that the my older TRX battery is placed well behind the seat so the battery lead is too short. Ah well to my local sparky shop to get the proper connectors
The on switch came with adhesive backing so stuck it on the back of the headlight bucket

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
That looks awesome Goob! That's a nice clean looking bike too, I dig it man! Nice job on the lights, I'm waiting on mine, should have it by Wednesday according to the tracking number, I got a 12" bar with both floods and spots and came with a harness, $31 bucks shipping and all. Got it from a company in Arizona, they make the new lights that are soon to be sold at TSC, and are awesome! I may have a question or two for ya if you don't mind, wiring is my major downfall by far, and can really mess up your system if your not careful lol, and with everything else I have going on at the moment, sure don't need to add anything else! Looks great man, sweet job!

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here ya go Dan; the kit is great. I found two OEM spotlight mounts for the front rack.
The lights are not very directional tho and tend to blind everyone looking toward me. I want to change them to a single LED spotlight style

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would suggest one of these light bars. On one of the headlights forums im on someone posted some pictures of this light bar and i must say im very impressed. It has a very good focused light with a pretty decent cut off, so it doesnt blind other people like light bars normally do, and the price isnt bad at all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-Cree-7...80057.m570.l1312.R1.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.X8d+.TRS1

If i wouldnt have just put 2 light bars on my bike a couple days before the guy posted the pictures i would have got those instead.

Wayne

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Any of you fellas have information (brand, or part #) on this led tail light pod ..... The (one) pic was posted Carl C, nice looking mod! @Z7What , whatcha think ?

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would suggest one of these light bars. On one of the headlights forums im on someone posted some pictures of this light bar and i must say im very impressed. It has a very good focused light with a pretty decent cut off, so it doesnt blind other people like light bars normally do, and the price isnt bad at all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-Cree-7...80057.m570.l1312.R1.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.X8d+.TRS1

If i wouldnt have just put 2 light bars on my bike a couple days before the guy posted the pictures i would have got those instead.

Wayne
Hey those are pretty cool! I was wondering when they would start making them like that! Can you share a link to the output pictures? Or copy them here?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts