Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned ATV's for over 20 years but am now trying to learn how to fix them on my own. I have done so much as change my oil and adjust my breaks but now I am finding new problems that I don't know anything about. I am turning to my fellow enthusiasts for help. For the love of god, would someone please help me figure out what this is for? I have been searching the internet all day and cannot find a thing about it. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
I see this is your first post , and sure that many will try and help you , even myself , but the first thing needed from you is what year and model are you working on

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
it could be anything. when Honda caps and tapes them off ?, they could be used for anything from plugging in their test equipment ?, to an accessory outlet ?. who knows ?, those models have lots of options that they use the same wire harness for different models of that year/make.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Welcome, and i see three wires chewed up by maybe mice or rats or some other rodent.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Welcome, and i see three wires chewed up by maybe mice or rats or some other rodent.
if ya look closely..you will see that is the wire insulation :).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, some mice got into the wires and I am trying to figure out if I just need to cap the wires off or that red box has some purpose. I don't know what it is. The 4-wheeler starts fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it difficult to re-run new wiring? I see a lot of harness kits but am a little intimidated. The mice did some damage but the wires seem dry and kind of rotted.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would just repair the wires by soldering them, the wires look long enough on the plug end, why make a job harder than it needs to be to fix. You say that it ain't broke so to me it just falls under maintenance. Easy fix if done right. Even if you need to add in some wire to allow the use of shrink wrap when done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all! I have more issues with my 250's. Someone put gas in the oil and air filter. I noticed it before starting it. I drained the oil, and soaked up the gas in the air filter compartment. Changed the oil and put a new air filter in. However, when I tried to start it, gas spewed from the air filter more. I had to get a third air filter but it was dead after that. I changed the spark plug too. Did they kill my machine? Is there anything I can do to save it?

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I think maybe it wasn't SOMEONE that put gas in your oil and air filter and more likely the carb Float is hanging up and its draining fuel into the motor and air box

SO< you need to clean carb and resolve the issue or you will have it again., and fuel in the oil will ruin seals and cause you bigger issues inside the motor
Make sure you change oil AFTER fixing carb issue's and if you already drained and refilled oil/filter, I suggest this one be a very short life and change it again to help flush out the fuel from inside motor, as it doesn;'t all come out in one drain! and will dilute the oil some!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I have owned ATV's for over 20 years but am now trying to learn how to fix them on my own. I have done so much as change my oil and adjust my breaks but now I am finding new problems that I don't know anything about. I am turning to my fellow enthusiasts for help. For the love of god, would someone please help me figure out what this is for? I have been searching the internet all day and cannot find a thing about it. Thank you in advance.
Hi: It is use to reset the PCM (computer)

Reactions: oswaldocd and retro
1 - 12 of 12 Posts