Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
first off id like to say whats up to everyone on the forum. ok so i bought a 300ex and recently put fmf exhaust on it i have noticed thats it leaking oil it is right next to the top bolt for my exhaust its not bad just a little wet up there and i wipe it away and after riding it comes back does anyone have an idea of what this is. also this is my first quad so i dont know much about them so take it easy on me lol thanks for any help i know the pic is probably small but its from my g1 the oil is the black near the stock rusty exhaust

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/xlmandaleelx/marksquad.jpg

·
Registered
209 Posts
mine does the same thing, i get oil coming out of the black plug on the head, a friend of mine told me not to worry about it. just keep checking your oil level. im sure some one else on here will know more about it

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I've seen a lot of 300EX do this over time after it gets a few miles on it. All of the Hondas usually get this problem after they start getting some miles on them. It's the round black rubber seal between the valve cover and the head. It is located at the end of the cam. It's usually no big deal, but it will leak enough to get your engine oily. I would just pull the valve cover and put a thin coat of gasket sealant on it. Not much, just a thin coat. I would use Hondabond. That is great stuff and it don't cure and get rubbery like RTV sealant does. I wouldn't use RTV sealant, because the excess will squeeze out and when it cures it will be rubbery and if it breaks loose on the inside of the engine, it could stop up your oil pump or oil drain holes or something and cause a lot of damage. I learned that the hard way a long time ago. I won't use anything but Hondabond, now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
first off id like to say whats up to everyone on the forum. ok so i bought a 300ex and recently put fmf exhaust on it i have noticed thats it leaking oil it is right next to the top bolt for my exhaust its not bad just a little wet up there and i wipe it away and after riding it comes back does anyone have an idea of what this is. also this is my first quad so i dont know much about them so take it easy on me lol thanks for any help i know the pic is probably small but its from my g1 the oil is the black near the stock rusty exhaust

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/xlmandaleelx/marksquad.jpg
i have the same leak on my 98 fourtrax 4x4 300.. i was hoping it wasnt the gasket. good thing this is not that big of a deal

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Agree with Helmut you also can check the valvecovers the tend to leak too there is an o-ring type seal for them replacing them and properly torquing will keep them from leaking in the future.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Yeah mine does the same thing.Just little leaks from the topend gaskets.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
That may work.It softens the rubber.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
That may work.It softens the rubber.
It will also make rubber expand. Be careful. I took a rear master cylinder apart once and cleaned it and cleaned the rubber seals with PB Blaster. The seals swelled way up so big I couldn't even get the thing back together. I had to buy a new one. I should have known better. You're not supposed to lubricate any brake parts with anything but fresh, clean brake fluid. Lesson learned, I guess.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Yeah I guess so.lol

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
My valve seals leak 2 and i just put some form a gasket on them and it put an end to them leaking. Its always on the exhaust valve side 2 wonder why?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
My valve seals leak 2 and i just put some form a gasket on them and it put an end to them leaking. Its always on the exhaust valve side 2 wonder why?
May have something to do with the heat. I would be careful about using RTV sealant or form a gasket on an ATV, because it cures rubbery and the excess can break loose on the inside of your engine and stop your oil pump or oil drain holes up and do serious damage to your engine. I learned this the hard way, years ago when I first started working on ATVs. I won't use anything but Hondabond now. It stays pliable and don't cure rubbery like silicone does. It just takes a thin coat of it, though. Too much of it could even stop something up.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Yeah that would be no good! I shouldnt have 2 much of an issue tho i put the cover on tightened the bolts then put a seal of it around the out side of the cover. Its only gunna suck a bit when i need to adjust the valves again.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
How much is honda bond and where can i get it?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
mine does not leak like that and mine a 1996 300ex

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I got the same year but i also have had my valve covers of more than a few times dunno if that has anything 2 do with it?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
true my moter was rebuilt 2 years ago so i dont know

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
You more than likely have new valve cover seals. There really cheap.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts