Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a inline coolant heater installed on my 420 last year and it's had leaking issues non stop since install. The service shop is getting very frustrated as its been in 4 times now and it's still leaking

They replaced the plastic reducers with aluminum ones as the hose clamps were apparently crushing the plastic ones allowing coolant to escape through the deformation of the plastic. They also replaced the clamps and the tubing.

Basically it leaks for first 5min or so on start up after it has been plugged in. It doesn't leak (that I can tell) while under use or while parked.

I'm guessing that the heater expands minuscully while plugged in and then leaks when it contracts as it cools down and while the engine is cycling coolant.

Other option is the heater unit is cracked somehow.

Any ideas?

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Get rid of those junk ‘press-on’ hose clips and use genuine ‘jubilee’ hose clamps, better still, use stainless intercooler hose clamps. Those clip on things are seriously frowned upon in the UK.

Reactions: retro

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I have to argue the point Mac sorry, well maybe not argue, at least start a debate lol. There designed to give (release) at a given pressure, where as a genuine jubilee hose clip is not designed to do so. As there designed to release at a given pressure they are therefore to be tightened to a certain pressure. They may not be tight enough.
There cheap, that’s why there used. If they were good they’d be used in performance motor sports, Formula 1, Nascar, WRC etc etc.
As you rightly say though, it could well be that the heater module itself is leaking.

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I have to ask though, is ‘skookum’ a word you use or an auto spell error? Lol

Reactions: XplicitRacing6

· Registered
7,087 Posts
You’ll never get a worm style clamp anywhere near as tight as an oetiker and with any kind of vibration that worm clamp can and will work it’s way loose. Oetiker clamps aren’t cheap by any means, common hose/worm/jubilee clamps on the other hand....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I’ve never had one work loose, I had those oetiker clamps catch sticks etc on my cv boots on the 300, replaced all with genuine jubilee and there still in place today. Says something for the oetiker really as there a lot smaller and should catch less than a jubilee.

Reactions: XplicitRacing6

· Registered
7,087 Posts
I’ve never in my life heard or seen anybody have an issue with oetiker clamps on CV boots or driveshaft boots catching anything, I mean, every single mfg uses the same style clamps from the factory, as does every aftermarket axle you can buy. I’m starting to wonder if we are even talking about the same clamps because what you are saying is absolutely baffling to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Really? Honestly they seem to come off for fun, it’s a common occurrence, even on road going cars. Definitely the same type of clamp, comenon every CV on cars and in every CV boot replacement kits.

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I doubt that the problem is caused by the type of clamps. It is not that hard to get a coolant seal on a hose with any type of clamp. Most likely the leak is coming from elsewhere.
You’ve never owned a Land Rover have you haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.