Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Honda Fourtrax 250 1986 and it was filled with too much oil and now fuel leaks at the bottom of the carb through the vent line, it used to run for a while and then stop, we had someone come fix it, but they weren't able to finish it, he was able to rebuild the carb, but it still had to much oil that we didn't know about, and it wouldn't idle and would only run if you constantly pressed the throttle, I took out the extra oil and I also found out that the screw at the bottom of the carb was closed so I opened it and it ran really good, but gas leaked out in a pretty steady stream, so I moved the hose so its above the carb and now it seems to run good and no fuel comes out, but I'm not sure if this would be bad for it or not, can someone tell me if this is right, and if not what I can do to fix it, I can post pics if needed

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Oh my my my. That screw is the drain! Lower it back where it belongs.LOL Change your oil completely. It was too full of oil most likely because gas drained into the oil raising the level. It will run poorly because gas fumes from the oil are making it run rich. Next, Overhaul the carb with a good quaility kit. Guys around here like "Shindy" and "Moose". The secret is a THOUROUGH cleaning. Get a repair manual, take your time and clean, clean, clean it.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
get the drain screw back in, and replace the carb with a rebuild kit. your float needle was/is sticking. you can't put the drain hose up like that !, then the fuel will head straight for the intake valve, then down into the motor !. pray you have not '' washed '' your oil rings and compression rings from gas in the oil !.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I have this exact issue at the moment, you may find you need to clean the needle valve seat (where the rubber tipped needle fits) with a cotton bud or something similar.
Hope you manage to get it sorted, I'm currently awaiting a few new different brand needle jets.
DONT by Chinese, they WONT work... Been there done that! Lol.

Reactions: misterclean59

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it working after I closed it, I wonder if it just had bad gas in there, but now it works really well, it runs way better than it should for being so old

1 - 6 of 6 Posts