Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey gang..just got through putting my l.e.d back up lights on..man..i'm here to tell ya..that was a pain to figure out as far as getting them to come on when you go into reverse..lol..well..really..it was dumb on my part..i had it wired into the reverse lead...come to find out..the only way the reverse lead would go hot..is if the power lead is hooked up to the neutral lead..sooo..after about 2 hours of pulling my hair out..lmfao..i finally traced it all with my test light..and sure enough..now when i go to reverse..it works great !..i'll wait until dark to snap some pics of it.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Good job Now all you need is one of those Back-up Beepers...LMAO

Can't wait to see them

·
Registered
2,735 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here is a couple pic's of them on..in one pic..you can see the reverse light on in the dash..i can't wait until i get my l.e.d taillight bulbs in !..what ya'll think ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
probable uses less voltage ??and pretty bright
yup..so i hear anyway..lol..i got the super bright red l.e.d bulbs comming in soon..they should set the tail lights on fire as far as brightness goes..lol

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Most definitely looks good bro now do the H.I.D. conversion for the fron and you will look like a Lexus coming through the woods..

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most definitely looks good bro now do the H.I.D. conversion for the fron and you will look like a Lexus coming through the woods..
thanks trx2 !!..i think i'll leave the front alone..i've got the main top headlight..and the 2 lower sublights..from what i can see..the front give me plenty of light up front...i just wanted to put some more light in the back..and i've got 2 super bright red l.e.d bulbs ordered for the taillights ..should be here sometime next week...my xt25 warn winch will be here monday..thats my last upgrade..i'm not to happy with warn..seeing how they never made mounting plates for these older bikes..soo..i've got to fab me a mounting plate..luckly there is a perfect place to mount it..and it will be pulling from the center of the frame..soo..i pretty much lucked out on that !

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Looks great!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
That's good bro a winch upgrade is always good on the utility quads. I got hung up on my frame in a hole at busco and a guy came by on a Rincon drove right in the hole with me and hooked his cable to my frame and just backed right out with me with no effort. My wife want one but i don't want anything electronic shift I have seen too many horror stories up here..lol.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's good bro a winch upgrade is always good on the utility quads. I got hung up on my frame in a hole at busco and a guy came by on a Rincon drove right in the hole with me and hooked his cable to my frame and just backed right out with me with no effort. My wife want one but i don't want anything electronic shift I have seen too many horror stories up here..lol.
no kidding !!..i'll stick with manual shift all day long !!..the guy i work with..we talked about these elec shift's..when they first came out..i told him..i see nothing but trouble for alot of people.anything that needs to operate by a tiny motor..is nothing but a headach..lol.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Put a winch on an older 300 fourtrax and you'll have a good pullin machine.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Man, if you want a utility ATV to pull with and want to stick with Honda, don't buy a Rincon or Rubicon, get a 500 Foreman, foot shift. For the size, the Rincons don't run that good. I don't think they have the power that they should have and they have a lot of transmission problems. I believe the Rubicons are better, but I have heard of transmission problems with them, as well. I don't like the Honda automatics or the electric shift. They mess up too much. I never see any problems with the foot shift. As undependable as the electric shifts are, I like them better than the automatic, because they are a lot easier and cheaper to fix when they do tear up. Also, even the smaller size Foremans will pull good. You don't even need the 500 really.

Honestly, in my opinion, if you want an automatic utility, you would be better off going with the Grizzly. They will out pull any Honda out there bad, and ride and drive better while doing it. I know this is the wrong board to be saying this on, but I can't help it, because it's the truth. They have fallen behind in the utility market. Honda doesn't even offer the front diff lock, so really a Honda 4X4 is really just a 3 wheel drive. The Grizzly 4X4 has regular 4X4 with limited slip front differential, plus it has a lockable front diff. Both of these functions, can be locked or unlocked by a button on the handlebar switch, so you can have regular 3 wheel drive like a Honda or you can have true 4 wheel drive at the push of a button. Don't let anybody tell you that a Honda will out pull the Grizzly, because it won't. I used to have a 600 Grizzly and I currently have a 660 Grizzly and one of my friends has a 700 Grizzly, so I know what I'm talking about. Also, the Grizzly is funner to ride. The 660 that I have will run 69 MPH and my friend's 700 will run 72 MPH and that's according to the digital speedometers on them. I don't know how accurate they are for sure, but it's way faster than the Rincon or the Foreman will go. The Grizzly will run those speeds quick, too. It don't take long to get up to that speed.

The only area that I can see that Honda is beating Yamaha on in the utility area is the gas mileage. Honda wins there by a long shot. The Grizzly really drinks the fuel. It all depends on if you want power or fuel economy. But all that being said, I've really always been a Honda guy, but I don't like Honda automatics.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man, if you want a utility ATV to pull with and want to stick with Honda, don't buy a Rincon or Rubicon, get a 500 Foreman, foot shift. For the size, the Rincons don't run that good. I don't think they have the power that they should have and they have a lot of transmission problems. I believe the Rubicons are better, but I have heard of transmission problems with them, as well. I don't like the Honda automatics or the electric shift. They mess up too much. I never see any problems with the foot shift. As undependable as the electric shifts are, I like them better than the automatic, because they are a lot easier and cheaper to fix when they do tear up. Also, even the smaller size Foremans will pull good. You don't even need the 500 really.

Honestly, in my opinion, if you want an automatic utility, you would be better off going with the Grizzly. They will out pull any Honda out there bad, and ride and drive better while doing it. I know this is the wrong board to be saying this on, but I can't help it, because it's the truth. They have fallen behind in the utility market. Honda doesn't even offer the front diff lock, so really a Honda 4X4 is really just a 3 wheel drive. The Grizzly 4X4 has regular 4X4 with limited slip front differential, plus it has a lockable front diff. Both of these functions, can be locked or unlocked by a button on the handlebar switch, so you can have regular 3 wheel drive like a Honda or you can have true 4 wheel drive at the push of a button. Don't let anybody tell you that a Honda will out pull the Grizzly, because it won't. I used to have a 600 Grizzly and I currently have a 660 Grizzly and one of my friends has a 700 Grizzly, so I know what I'm talking about. Also, the Grizzly is funner to ride. The 660 that I have will run 69 MPH and my friend's 700 will run 72 MPH and that's according to the digital speedometers on them. I don't know how accurate they are for sure, but it's way faster than the Rincon or the Foreman will go. The Grizzly will run those speeds quick, too. It don't take long to get up to that speed.

The only area that I can see that Honda is beating Yamaha on in the utility area is the gas mileage. Honda wins there by a long shot. The Grizzly really drinks the fuel. It all depends on if you want power or fuel economy. But all that being said, I've really always been a Honda guy, but I don't like Honda automatics.
umm..yes helmut..honda does now offer the front diff lock in the new models..not sure which ones..but..they just started to come out with them..as far as pulling power..this 89 trx 350d of mine ..with limited front slip diff..< yes it does have it >..lol..has all the pulling power i need..and some !..lol..i just wanted that extra fealing of when i go out ridding..and i'm alone...that this warn will pull me out of the mess i got in..lmfao..as far as the front diff in mine..honda took the design from the old jeeps front end..and put it in this trx350d of mine..i read the honda factory repair manul that i got..and it operates the same way as they did back in the day..i haven't tore it down yet to replace the clutch disk yet..hopefully i wont be doing it soon either..it looks like a pain !..lol.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Shadetree, I think the new Honda Big Red side by side has the diff lock, but I don't believe any of the Honda 4-wheelers ever came out with diff lock. I could be wrong, though. It's about time they started trying to catch up.

But I was addressing this towards Moose. He said his wife wanted one of those Rincons and he didn't like the electric shift. I was just stating that in my opinion, he would be better off getting a Foreman with foot shift, rather than any other kind of Honda with electric shift or automatic transmission. Also that if he wanted an automatic, Yamaha offers the best automatics, in my opinion. And yes, the 350 Foreman has as much power as most people would ever need.

I believe I did throw in there, somewhere, that the Grizzly would out pull any Honda, but I wasn't trying to down Honda. I still like Honda. They have been too dependable, too many years for me to dislike them, now. It's just that, in the automatic line, I like the Grizzlys better. In the foot shift line, I would pick a Honda over Yamaha, any day.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shadetree, I think the new Honda Big Red side by side has the diff lock, but I don't believe any of the Honda 4-wheelers ever came out with diff lock. I could be wrong, though. It's about time they started trying to catch up.

But I was addressing this towards Moose. He said his wife wanted one of those Rincons and he didn't like the electric shift. I was just stating that in my opinion, he would be better off getting a Foreman with foot shift, rather than any other kind of Honda with electric shift or automatic transmission. Also that if he wanted an automatic, Yamaha offers the best automatics, in my opinion. And yes, the 350 Foreman has as much power as most people would ever need.

I believe I did throw in there, somewhere, that the Grizzly would out pull any Honda, but I wasn't trying to down Honda. I still like Honda. They have been too dependable, too many years for me to dislike them, now. It's just that, in the automatic line, I like the Grizzlys better. In the foot shift line, I would pick a Honda over Yamaha, any day.
manaul shift all the way for me !..elec shift's are too much trouble..oh..here's the scoop on the new honda's for locking diff..2010 Honda FourTrax® Rincon® (TRX®680FA) TraxLok® selectable 2WD / 4WD system..i'm guessing this means they are selectable in and out of 4 wheel drive ??..i looked at this the other day..thought i had seen it..just had to go back and check to make sure.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

manaul shift all the way for me !..elec shift's are too much trouble..oh..here's the scoop on the new honda's for locking diff..2010 Honda FourTrax® Rincon® (TRX®680FA) TraxLok® selectable 2WD / 4WD system..i'm guessing this means they are selectable in and out of 4 wheel drive ??..i looked at this the other day..thought i had seen it..just had to go back and check to make sure.
Yeah, that means they are selectable in and out of 4 wheel drive(TraxLok), but the front diff still don't lock. Those have limited slip, but they are still really only 3-wheel drive as only one tire pulls at a time on the front. With diff lock, it locks the front differential and all 4 tires pull and turn at the same speed.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Yeah, that means they are selectable in and out of 4 wheel drive(TraxLok), but the front diff still don't lock. Those have limited slip, but they are still really only 3-wheel drive as only one tire pulls at a time on the front. With diff lock, it locks the front differential and all 4 tires pull and turn at the same speed.
ok..thanks for clearing that up..i guess honda still uses what they have in mine then to this day..lol..oh well..as long as it gets me from a to b..i'm happy..lol.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, they call it torque sensing, but I think it is still the same thing they've always used, because you still only get one wheel at a time pulling, and it's usually the wheel with less traction. Those new Honda Big Red side by sides do have the diff lock, though. I don't know why they haven't been putting it on the Honda 4-wheelers. Yamaha has had it on the Grizzly since 2002. The Grizzly has push button 4X4 with limited slip, just like the Honda Traxlock. But if that doesn't keep you from getting stuck, the Grizzly has another button that locks the front diff to make all 4 wheels pull and turn at the same time. I don't understand why Honda has waited so long to come out with it. I still don't know if they are going to start using it on their 4-wheelers or not. They might just be going to use it on their side by sides. I know a lot of people that have switched to Yamaha just because of the diff lock.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts