Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ihave decided to move up from a 86 fourtrax 250 to a 94 yammy kodiak400. Does anybody know if these are good bikes? and is the 94 auto or manual? cheers

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
I know a few models of Yamaha in the early to late 90's were manual shifts, I forget what exact models to be honest

but when your dealing with things from the age bracket here(1994) its going to make a HUGE difference MORE< on how it was cared for, or NOT< than if its a GOOD model or not

as thats a 20+ yr old atv now, and condition and maybe even worse, PARTS, and what is out there for them or not??

would be something I would look into before buying
as if you get it and cannot find a needed part., it can become a sink hole and a useless atv for you!

so look about and see, and then again CONDITION< is a huge part of older ATVs
rusty frames and ???
can be a NO sale for me!

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
same running gear as the big bear 350, just a few more cc's. and different fender flares.

good machines. engines tend to be a little noisy but they run very well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know a few models of Yamaha in the early to late 90's were manual shifts, I forget what exact models to be honest

but when your dealing with things from the age bracket here(1994) its going to make a HUGE difference MORE< on how it was cared for, or NOT< than if its a GOOD model or not

as thats a 20+ yr old atv now, and condition and maybe even worse, PARTS, and what is out there for them or not??

as if you get it and cannot find a needed part., it can become a sink hole and a useless atv for you!

rusty frames and ???
can be a NO sale for me!
The frame has alot of surface rust as it was used on the beach but doesnt seem to be anything serious. A wire brush and some rust killer will solve it. And yes i realize its quite difficult to get parts for old bikes as i could hardly ever find any for my 1986 250 fourtrax

·
Registered
324 Posts

rusty frames and ???
can be a NO sale for me!
The frame has alot of surface rust as it was used on the beach but doesnt seem to be anything serious. A wire brush and some rust killer will solve it. And yes i realize its quite difficult to get parts for old bikes as i could hardly ever find any for my 1986 250 fourtrax
If it was used near salt water, more than once or twice, I wouldn't consider it. You should expect that the surface rust on the frame is the least of it, and that it is likely much worse in areas that you aren't seeing. The tube frame has drain holes so that water can get out, which means that salt water and humid salt air could get inside the tubes. The rust would be worse on the inside, than what you are seeing on the outside. You can also expect that there are all kinds of other corrosion issues on the bike. Couple that with age, unknown care, and hard to find parts- I would expect the machine to be an expensive lesson, causing all kinds of frustration and heartache.
I wouldn't touch it, myself.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Depending on where your at it might be impossible to find a machine that hasn't been used "near" salt water, coming from a guy who lives on an island in the Atlantic Ocean.... lol As long as it wasn't driven through salt water it shouldn't be too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My budget isnt exactly huge so for the price this is ok bike and everything runs and works right on it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts