Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, those of you who have followed my recent threads will know I bought a donor TRX250 for the engine to go into my finances 250.. The engine is a good one and runs well, it's way overdue a timing chain replacement though so that's about all it needs.
I soaked the carb for a few days as it was heavily coroded from the sea water then attempted to give it a new lease of life but, the fuel mixture screw snapped off!! Anybody had this happen before, is there a way of saving the carb or is it ready for the junk pile?

On the plus side, the carb I thought I was having issues with I bolted on and it works a treat, so all that irratic idling on the old engine must not have been the carb. Out of curiosity does anybody have any ideas what else that could have been?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Concerning the other carb with the broken fuel screw, you could assemble it and install. It may work ok for you if the slow circuit is clean and the screw is in the correct setting. It is probably not repairable unless you can remove the aluminum material from the slot and grab the remainder of the screw with pliers if anything is sticking up enough to grab.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's certainly going to be a tricky one isn't it! I don't know wether to attempt to remove the mixture screw or leave it as it is and soak it in freeing oil for a few weeks in the hopes it will come out easily.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Drill it and use easy out, but get carb hot first, ally will expand more than the brass so should release it's grip, or at least break the corrosion bond.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
could be a BAD CDI as for crazy idle issue;'s if NOT carb related, when they go, that's a common sign of them being bad!
as for getting the broken screw out
like others said, drill and easy out it, but GOOD Luck < never easy on that stuff from my luck side of things!

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
I have never broke that screw/jet ?, how the heck did you do that ???..lol. good luck getting it out !.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Drill it and use easy out, but get carb hot first, ally will expand more than the brass so should release it's grip, or at least break the corrosion bond.
Been there done that, but not on a atv carb. ^^^^^

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I can't believe that screw broke off. It's pretty much junk now, you might be able to get it out but for the cost of a replacement I doubt it's worth the effort.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys, I literally used a small electrical screwdriver, turned and it sheered, it was almost like it was brittle. replacement costs are anywhere between £50 & £100 so it's worth an attempt to repair. I'll tackle it tonight, see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
You should be ok these screws don't normally get a bunch of torque put to them. Two bad things can happen: you break off the easy out or you find the idle screw is crossthreaded. So I'm tipping a pint for you in hopes of a pleasant outcome

1 - 12 of 12 Posts