Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ihave a 2008 420 rancher right now i'am running the stock wheels and tires i have a 2inch lift kit on it now .i'am going around in circles about wiether or not to just stay with the stock size or go + 1 or +2 in size . now as you all know honda did some thing goofy at least it is to me why would you run a 24x8-12 in the front and a 24x10-11 in the rear . i would think honda did that for the best of the machine . my other concern is power and strenght . going from a 24 to a 25 iwould think is not to bad but going from a 24 to a 26 would be kinda of so so in those two departments . the kinda of terrain i ride is fields of rocks hard pack some mud and of course snow . i would like some input . i would like the ground clearance though.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
You might lose a little bit going up 2" but you will be fine. If you went any more than 2" you would lose your clutch pretty quick. I highly recommend going with 26" ITP Terracross or the Maxxis Bighorn.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
2" will require a jet kit and exaust if you want to keep the power you have now trust me I know

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is the power loss like can i deal with it . nothing is done with the bike right now but i plan on doing things a little at a time . heres a question does an after market air filter make a big in crease , can i put a cdi on before a pipe ??

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I was going to say an air filter. K&N or UNI are good. you will get the power from the jet kit, exaust, and filter. As for the power loss, pulling a steep hill or in mud or snow you will notice a BIG decrease in power if you run the tires on a stock quad.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
He would know better than I... Yes, you can put a CDI on first. It will increase your throttle response and ignition curve. It will give you an extra couple mph because of the rev limiter increase. You will really see the added benefits of the CDI when you add an exhaust and cam.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Our pleasure!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
25 maybe 26 maxxis bighorn 2.0 they are lighter so you will not loose as much. I too do a lot of rocks, but more mud than anything, I run 27" zillas and yes there is minimal power loss. I am going to get an HMF EFI controller and pipe.I also weigh 375lbs. but bro n law rides it some too. he is 200lbs less and has no problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts