Honda ATV Forum banner

601 - 616 of 616 Posts

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #601
and here is the above pool bear, he fell sleep today half way up my steps on my deck, didn;t quit make it all the way up
guess today's hot summer day today, he needed a mid day nap after his swim!
NOT sure what the white stuff is on his nose, as with him, you just never know? LOL
i think the bear has got narcolepsy. i know what that is, and it do make you run in a daze sometimes. i used to fall asleep, near anywhere.
even riding the racehorses, to the exercise track, i would nap on the way, and sometimes nap on the way back to the barn. the horses knew where they were going, both ways.
i think they might have went out of their way, not to wake me.
when i went into the barn, near ever morning, i would say "Hello Girls". i would get many reply's. course, most in the barn were not girls, but they knew what i meant. :grin
i'd send ya the money for some minnow's to put in your pool, for some interesting pictures, but in this weather, they would just get cooked.
Na I think this bear is just a silly one, he just doesn't do what normal bears do, always a clown and right now is mating season and he has a gal that is dragging him about all day and night, so, he just lacking sleep maybe f=due to love in her eye's
poor guy, though, all he seems to want is food, and not love, but since she is bigger than he is, she is winning!

and all my life I have had the opposite of narcolepsy, as I a have insomnia all my life, used to go days without sleep and when younger was OK with it, , allowed me to work long hours and many jibs ata time, helping me make $$ to have toys LOL

but now I older, its not as much fun, and maybe why I have so many aches and pains LOL
I wore my body out working, playing for days when maybe it needed rest and paying for it now!

As for minnows?
I will get them in the pool some time, right now, this major heat wave were having, the bears are not showing up much or at normal times(just before dark was pretty much a 100% deal one or 5 would show up, and last 4 days only had like 2 here in .
so putting minnows out, might only feed the coons or, they might die before any bears show up.
should have done it sooner when there wasn't much food in the wilds, when there way more predictable here,
corn will soon be there major food source and they will lay there for days getting fat for winter,
they do still show up here, I swear many times just to say HI.
But they won't be here like they were in spring early summer, not enough food here for them to do so
or just easier to lay all day in a corn field and gorge
I'm at top of MT and corn is at bottom, so, being fat and hairy in 100 plus degree tempos, ain;t a walk they like to make I guess to say HI all that often, and don't blame em!

they will be back after the corn gets mowed and maybe try them
mean time I will just see them when they want to stop by!

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #603 (Edited)
I just love this thread. It's like a daily soap opera. I hate it if I have to miss an episode.
I don't watch soap opera's, so not sure how they really work.

but I can sure tell you, being able to watch many of these bears grow and live together as they do here, you sure do get to see all sorts of different personalities of each one, how they act, what they eat or won't, and how some get along and some don't.
there a lot more like people than I know most would ever think when thinking, "BEAR" but there very social critters and each is very different in many ways from each other!

sure makes living here more interesting for me I know that!~

and I also get about 700-1,000 trail cam pic's a week too, so keeps me busy going thru them as well!
some times hard knowing what one's to share , as I see things so often, I take for granted others don't or?
just not sure what you all might want to see and not be a hog posting pic's here!

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #605
I pulled my tailgate off today, darn thing was rusting away
so while I had it off, a local furry friend showed up and wanted to look in my truck bed, normally he's too small to see in , so took a peek today LOL

he also sat in yard about an hour watching me prep and paint tailgate!

he's a little male about 125 lbs only, 2.5 yrs old
rather comical bear, always doing silly things, he's different from most bears , seems a little mentally slow like LOL and I like him for it!
he spent about 10 minutes today shaking tree's in my yard, NOT a clue why, maybe just like a kid showing off, with a "LOOK what I can DO"
< face on him! made me laugh, as seemed like just a lot of wasted energy on a HOT day!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #609
Your bears appreciate you, MrBB
HAHA, I am pretty sure they do appreciate me too!

these past few days have been pretty HOT, so just having clean cool water to drink when they come by I think means a lot to them over drinking warm puddle water LOL

and a few are smart enough to lay in the pool, its funny though as most of them won't, they will drink out of it, or stand in it, but not all will lay in it
go figure, I guess some bears are just smarter than others!

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #613
there state game dept ear tags, , the game dept here tags bears all over the state all yr round and or will set up traps when a bear become a nuisance bear(raiding trash can's, or someone's been feeding them then stops and has them damaging property)
she was tagged and moved about 25 miles from me 3 yrs ago now, and was also trapped a second time the following yr and moved 70 miles or so, and came back every time,
there very famous for doing so, and each time they get trapped they move them farther away

she was trapped the first time, in a basic trap just looking for info, she had 3 cubs at the time, they managed to capture one cub, but not the others and for unknown reasons the state moved her knowing her other 2 cubs were left behind, they were shortly killed by a car crossing a road near by, and she then lost the remaining cub on the trip back to her home range!
second time they trapped her, she had 1 cub and they got both and , again on way back, she lost the cub along the ways?
this yr, she has 2 cubs(all males) and has been doing pretty well this yr with the cubs, but its SUPER rare for a bear to have cubs 3 yrs in a row!
in all my yrs I have never seen or heard of it
if you notice in the pic's of her, her breast are hanging SO low its not funny, from being nursed on 3 yrs back to back, and she is a rather young bear too,
She showed up at my place as an orphaned cubs, and I helped make it thru that first yr
following yr she got hit by a car, and had a broken ankle with a bone sticking out, which I also helped her get thru, so I have a ot of history on this bear, and she has also had a bunch of bad luck IMO
but mother nature is never easy!

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
why does that deer look so boney? i see a lot of ribs. is the weather that bad up there?
maybe i should ask, what am i looking at?
mule deer or elk? i been bovine hunting, not that much..

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #615
why does that deer look so boney? i see a lot of ribs. is the weather that bad up there?
the deer here are all whitetail or wild one's are
as for why it looks so bony
well I will gather a few reasons, one , its on summer time thinner hair, so you see details better, two its a fem,ale and has young, so there sucking her thinner all the time and well, after giving birth they do drop a bunch of weight
its summer time and foods are not the best
mast crops and corn just getting there for them to be packing weight on
come fall, she will be a good 50+ lbs heavier and by the time winter gets here maybe even more
then back to slimming down with poor, or less than great foods during winter time

its rather normal cycles here on deer that live in 4 seasons

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
the deer here are all whitetail or wild one's are
as for why it looks so bony
well I will gather a few reasons, one , its on summer time thinner hair, so you see details better, two its a fem,ale and has young, so there sucking her thinner all the time and well, after giving birth they do drop a bunch of weight
its summer time and foods are not the best
mast crops and corn just getting there for them to be packing weight on
come fall, she will be a good 50+ lbs heavier and by the time winter gets here maybe even more
then back to slimming down with poor, or less than great foods during winter time

its rather normal cycles here on deer that live in 4 seasons
they must eat better here in ky, warmer seasons.. LOLS

601 - 616 of 616 Posts