2,555 Posts
aminals are aminals :grin

spelled that on porpoise. yuk yuk yuk.
curly

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #582
well lots of sugar in most booze, so the critters seek out the sugar side of things and just get the rest in return !

I have been again known to pour a beer in bowel here and give it to a bear while sitting on my deck with me, ONLY one , maybe two, pending bear, as well, some of them are pretty big and doubt two would have any effect minus some thirst getting taken care of LOL
they also just seem to like to lay on my deck too, gets them a higher view of things, and sure it also helps then get scent from things as air flows all around them then!
pretty cool sitting on the deck with them too for me!, like big old guard dogs!

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #583
to those that follow this tread, I have a update as to a few hours ago
Late last night(1-2 am ish) I heard some rifle shots, off in the distance(good mile or more away)
not that un common to hear them, but a few weeks back, some jerk shot a bear and the state game dept is involved with things on that
well, this evening, I had a new bear show up, a lone cub all by itself, was here for about an hour and a half, looking lost and eating what it could find on the ground(mostly green apples)
so, now thinking about them rifle shots last night, and even worse, one of my regular bears that had 2 cubs, hasn't been seen now in two days
this cub tonight is much larger than her's, so know its not one of them!

but might have a problem with some idiot shooting bears here now!

where the gun shots came from is a known drinking spot for younger folks and they have a small cabin in the woods they drink at and camp at in summer time.
But I might have a new bear to try and get thru summer and fall now, as alone it doesn't stand a real chance!
State game depot, doesn't do much either as far as help, but do have them now in the loop, as I hope they find the person that shot the first bear and any others and throw the book at them as hard as they can

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Took this pic a few minutes ago, and saw three yesterday while cutting hay, then i hear fire rescue tone out go off, then the following ---- deer hit on U.S. highway 31 right beside the field i was in, thankfully, when said and done, the hit didn't cause a BAD accident, i felt kind of bad lol, so, i called (tim) my friend @ fire rescue, he went right to the point .....NOT AN EXACT QOUTE >>. (Him) Hiya JD how ya doing, are you cutting hay down @ s-curve lol? (31) (me) yep... lol, and i heard what's going on, do me a favor, stay around the phone. thankfully no other hits. I've never seen as many fawns, as I've seen this season, 10 + so far, over, (i reckon) 70 archers ..gunna be a busy up and coming hunting season.....and as for having a good soybean crop ? ... Ha! Not a chance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
human populations who also indulge
Some, more then others...
Guilty as charged.. i will say though, i dont get mean, as some do, do talk more, write, as if ya cant tell, and piss way more than i want to. :grin

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
@mrbb ;
where the gun shots came from is a known drinking spot for younger folks and they have a small cabin in the woods they drink at and camp at in summer time.

are they on private land? in ky, if i am not mistaken, you can be locked up on your own land, for PI..
i'm not disorderly, in the drinking sense. now being wild some, that is a different matter.
:devil

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'd go and burn down the party camp if it was near me, stuff like that happens here all the time...

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #589
yes the party spot the shots came from are on private lands, but around here very few folks give a crap about trespassing due to the fact its so hard to get arrested for it, cops
don;'t care much(game wardens don't care at all, they refuse to even do anything for it, will tell you so right off, call some one else)

the spot has been like this since I was a kid, its been burnt down a bunch of times and they just rebuild it over and over again, heck every time it gets burnt down, I think it gives them a bigger reason to go there and drink and re build it ?

in the 70's and 80's it was run by a bunch of locals and they held kids fishing derby's at it and used the site for boy scouts, but then the land owner got more serious about trespassing and folks dumping trash and they put gates up and closed the place down from the GOOD things it was used for too, fear of law suits, cannot blame them, lots of crazy law suits were common at the time with folks getting hurt and some how sueing land owners as if it was there fault??
never understood that stuff?
but, ever since then, they lease the land out now(almost a 1,000 acres, to a few guys who hunt it, but, there never there but a few weeks a yr and rest of yr, atv's and MX bike ride there and drink and shoot and party
the water(running stream and a dammed up section they have as a swimming hole) draws people in summer time , its far off any paved legal roads, so unless your also trespassing, you wouldn;t know its even there!
Shooting at night here is a common thing too, tear round, here, 24/7 you hear shooting
Just some shootings, you learn don't fit in with the normal, like I heard other night!
single shots get more attention, than lots of shooting at once in the wee hours, normally a single shot, means a dead critter, closer to deer season, you get, higher the odds a bigger buck /deer!

Most folks here have been good with NOT poaching bears, as not much you can do with them , but it does happen(once already this yr I know of ) there big heavy and smell real fast in summer time when dead, so, once dead, there hard to do much with, few really like to eat them, and you cannot take a illegal killed one to a taxidermist, so, mostly its deer they shoot illegally here!
BUT what does happen here on bears is, a lot of folks will shoot them with smaller caliber guns/shotguns and THINK that by shooting them with them or in say there rear end, that it doesn't HURT Them it just scares them, the mind set is, using smaller calibers/and or shotguns, just teaches them to leave the area, as if bears are some how bullet proof and that being shot , they never get hurt or get infections, or just die from the injuries they get being shot!
when I had my gun shop I heard this from thousands of customers, and NO joke, thousands!
SO< when folks camp, and see a bear close by, or have on in there yard and want it gone!

many will SHOOT at or hit them!
thinking NO harm happens
its sad, and few if you explain things to them will change, almost like wasted words telling them things! too, I have tried more times than I care to recall and know it didn;t change there mind sets!

add in folks drinking at camp sites and or just young and dumb thinking the same deal, and well, bears here do get wounded pretty often, many make it, some don't.

The cub that showed up yesterday was here this morning again!
I am not sure its mother got shot, but it is a possibility , as is, a car hitting her, or some other injury, things do happen to them, besides being shot that causes them to die!
PLus a cub can also wander off and get lost, but MOST times a mother will scent track them back down, so this would be last my list of what happened!

I have helped raise a few orphaned cubs over the yrs, its not easy, but some times it works some times it doesn't

if cub was younger, its some times possible to ADD them to another female with cubs, have done that before too
you catch a mother, and its cubs, and then coat them with something like Vicks vapor rub, thick coating to the cubs all over and then the nose of the mother and then she cannot tell what cubs are her's and not
and she MOST times accepts the added in one
but at this age, its harder, as there more advanced on scent,and sight of there own.
a single cub alone now is a target to other bears and predators, my female bears with cubs, will if given the chance kill this single cub, its mother nature at work?
the last cub I had like this, I couldn;t tell you HOW many times I had to get in between a adult bear trying to kill it, to save it, its not easy LOL

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #590
checked cam today just to see, and got only one pic of the lone cub, (I think its a male too, )
you can see its a little larger than the other cubs, which might help it some, but its in for a hard ride being this young and alone!

the larger bear is a normal sized bear that was kicked out last yr by its mom naturally, was about twice the size of the cub lone cub, and can see how even now at 2 yrs old she isn't that big a bear, all legs and little body, maybe a 125 lbs IF that, lots of room to grow on her! Her Father was a 700+ lbs monster of a male bear, too, so, she's got good genes, MOM ain;t no small bear either , she is actually way above average, for a female, seen her pushing 400+ lbs several times now! which is huge for a female, average here weight about 175 lbs! so at 400, thats way above average !

the lone cub is only about 25 lbs ? so pretty small to be alone, have coyotes here that push 45+ lbs!

and then some small coons , have a few of them now running all over at night, two moms I can tell maybe 8 little one's between them!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Man I hate that. Guess it's nature at work, but not easy to see.

Any chance there's a sanctuary around there that would raise the little guy until he's big enough to fend for himself? Of course, that opens a whole nother pandora's box with him not learning to fend for himself, and likely trusting humans, which is something no living thing should ever do, including other humans.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #592
Man I hate that. Guess it's nature at work, but not easy to see.

Any chance there's a sanctuary around there that would raise the little guy until he's big enough to fend for himself? Of course, that opens a whole nother pandora's box with him not learning to fend for himself, and likely trusting humans, which is something no living thing should ever do, including other humans.
there very a few places that MIGHT take them in, but most are hard sales
as the state really doesn't like to get too far involved in things with trapping cubs and then taking them to these folks , as its a low success rate at best. so most times the game depts just rather let mother nature take its course!
and to be honest, I think, between me and a few neighbors that have easy food here, its got a better shot, plus all the other wild bears here, IF it makes it thru this yr, it will most likely team up with another single bear and learn from it!
I have helped again a few make it, and sadly a few that didn;t, as I just cannot be out there 24/7 to watch over it, and at times, other bears will try and kill a stray cub, till its big enough to get by!
advantage to them being so small is they can climb higher than larger bears, so as long as a tree is near by, they got a chance, all some times comes down to how determined the larger bear is and how smart the smaller one is.
as if a larger bear wants it bad enough, it will sit at base of tree for hours and hours or lay in ambush and small bear doesn;t have much of a chance in a fight even for a few seconds, is all it would take!

but bears here are lucky, LOTS of easy food sources, and they don't fight over food and territory as they do other places, , and MOST folks around here are OK with them being here , heck most enjoy seeing them and having them here!
so, honestly, this cubs best shot might be staying right here!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Id still go torch it and deck a bunch of trees into it just for fun, but I don't call 911....

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #594
Id still go torch it and deck a bunch of trees into it just for fun, but I don't call 911....
I don;t call 911 either, been a pretty self solving person most of my life that knows the grey area in life pretty well, and some times thats the best way to solve problems
But this place, it wouldn't do any good to damage it, the local idiots woiul;d just go out of there way to make bigger issue's for all in the area, NO win there
and there isn;t a good way to let them know the reason it got damaged, as cannot prove they even did anything right NOW!
that could change, as folks do tend to tsalk about there bad deeds here too, and IF that happens, its a different story!

for now, I will just have the local po po, some drive b'ys and ruin some of there good times, scare the under aged ones some too!(drinkers that is)
and who know's maybe some fines for trespassing, but doubt it, hard to get land owners to press charges , as they would maybe have to show up in court, and land owner is not a local, so, traveling for court isn;t on there to do list!
it sucks, but is what it is!

I was once a younger guy too, and drank at this place way back then too, , so its NOT all bad folks that use it.,
Heck., for yrs it was used for good things, fishing derby's for kids and for the boy scout camp outs and such!

ALSO<
so far today, the cub never showed up again, so, might be gone already, , had a few adult bears here yesterday/last night, and if one grabbed it, its about all over!!
sucks, but that's nature some times, cruel, but it is what it is!
still hoping it makes it, but never know!

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #595
hre are a few pic's from today, of a young male thats been here since last yrs, and getting kicked out from its mom !
he's what I would call a Mentally SLOW learner, his elevator never makes it to the top floor if you follow!, if he wa s akid, he
d need to be wearinga helmet to get around!
he is always doing DUMB things, other bears just don;t do
He is also one of the regular bears that likes to sleep on my deck and at my door, many times he sleeps half ON the steps half on the deck in some extremely twisted up shapes?
(again just not right in the head LOL)

any how today he decided to take a sit in the pool
and as always, his lack of understanding shows again
he couldn;t just sit IN the pool he had to sit on the edge crushing it, and then water getting out, which he couldn;t figure out WHY ir where it went?
then had to try and have a look under pool to see what was there??
he is small enough he can fit in this pool with room to spare, bears twice/3x's his size do it all the time<
but again, he just isn;t so smart of a bear!

he is a lot of fun to watch as he is always doing something silly!, playing with rocks and sticks and chasing bee's and ?? LOL doesn't take much to distract this guy!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #596
also update on lone cub, so far I have not seen it again since the day it showed up
it either, is out and about searching for its mom, or it might have run into something that killed it!(bigger bear, coyote, car or??)

I'm hoping it comes back, but just never know!

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #597
and here is the above pool bear, he fell sleep today half way up my steps on my deck, didn;t quit make it all the way up
guess today's hot summer day today, he needed a mid day nap after his swim!
NOT sure what the white stuff is on his nose, as with him, you just never know? LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #598
I'll add a few more pic's
and some info

here is a big male, about 550 lbs, he is a twin, or had a brother that is a tad smaller than he is, been coming here about 11+ yrs now
I have not seen the one since last oct, and actually thought he got killed in hunting season, as was rare for him to not show up in spring time/mating season looking for love!
he got ear tagged last yr, so made telling them apart easier(minus he was always a little larger than brother)
any how he showed up other day looking for love, trying to get a scent trail of a female,
a few days later the brother also showed up, and he was limping pretty good, I think the got into a fight and well, big brother won again! LOL
mostly shoving matches, and maybe twisted a leg or hip by way its limping, no signs of any car hit or like wounds, just ruffed up in a fight over a gal I think!
day time, bigger one, can see right side ear tag)
night time smaller one, about 450 lbs, so, not a LOT smaller, but is smaller some!

and then, the two fighting are a male and a female, both 2.5 yr olds, first time mating, and the female has the hot;s for the male, totally opposite of it normally works in the bear world
she has been bothering him him for weeks, she even dragged him off my deck by his ear the one day and then, sort of MADE him mount her in my drive way, she beats up up all the time too, smacking him and such! poor little guy, got a mean girlfriend LOL
he's also a tad smaller than she is too, so, not helping him at all!
day time pic of him, and then a pic of him also with a skunk, he's not too smart a bear, and then him and her play fighting, foreplay for bears!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
and here is the above pool bear, he fell sleep today half way up my steps on my deck, didn;t quit make it all the way up
guess today's hot summer day today, he needed a mid day nap after his swim!
NOT sure what the white stuff is on his nose, as with him, you just never know? LOL
i think the bear has got narcolepsy. i know what that is, and it do make you run in a daze sometimes. i used to fall asleep, near anywhere.
even riding the racehorses, to the exercise track, i would nap on the way, and sometimes nap on the way back to the barn. the horses knew where they were going, both ways.
i think they might have went out of their way, not to wake me.
when i went into the barn, near ever morning, i would say "Hello Girls". i would get many reply's. course, most in the barn were not girls, but they knew what i meant. :grin
i'd send ya the money for some minnow's to put in your pool, for some interesting pictures, but in this weather, they would just get cooked.

581 - 600 of 616 Posts
About this Discussion
615 Replies
40 Participants
LedFTed
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing