Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,481 Posts
speaking of D Ray, did anyone happen to notice where he's located ?, ARKANSAS !..LOL. no..he did not teach me !..lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well I lightly warmed the edge and it worked ok. The ring gear is in the bearing fairly tight and the socket and mallet are helping just haven’t got it off yet still working on it.

·
Super Moderator
36,481 Posts
Well I lightly warmed the edge and it worked ok. The ring gear is in the bearing fairly tight and the socket and mallet are helping just haven’t got it off yet still working on it.
takes some smacking to knock the ring gear out of the bearing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have - and not very good imho . I'd do as they said - and try to find a used rear end - that's what I wound up doing after rebuilding one with aftermarket parts . They just don't hold up .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Cambug, did you use a new gear set when you rebuilt the differential or did you reuse the original? :smile

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I’m hoping the pinion surface is ok . If not my neighbor might be able to sleeve it so I could reuse the gear set. When I get that apart I’ll know more. At this point the pinion bearing is definitely well worn. The gears look great so I’m hoping.

·
Super Moderator
36,481 Posts
I’m hoping the pinion surface is ok . If not my neighbor might be able to sleeve it so I could reuse the gear set. When I get that apart I’ll know more. At this point the pinion bearing is definitely well worn. The gears look great so I’m hoping.
if the pinion needle bearing is bad ? ( which most times they are ! ), your gonna have fun with replacing that bearing !..lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I haven’t attempted removing the pinion shaft yet . But I am going to assume the pinion shaft is worn at the needle bearing. I see Boss Bearing has a kit with a sleeve for the pinion . Machining is required but that would definitely help.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
More pics on the differential
You need to check that pinion spur to bearing fit. If it's loose the rebuild kit should come with a steel sleeve that will fix it.

You'll have to find someone with a lathe to turn down your pinion gear spur to the proper size to slide the steel sleeve on, then your pinion will be tight in the needle bearing again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
My neighbor is the best!! We got all of the bearings out today and the drum off the axle. We drilled a hole behind the needle bearing,heated the bearing and used a Dremel to weaken. That did the trick. He has a lathe and is an experienced Street rod builder so when parts come in he will help machine the pinion to the needle needing. more to come.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I finally have all my parts I hope! I have to do some cleaning yet before I can start . I'm checking some items before I begin so I'm looking at the ring gear when placed on the axle spline. There is is some very very small movement between the two is that acceptable ? Or should the ring gear be tight on the spline ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Oh one other thing I open the gear case and only one shim inside which is the side with long shoulder. Anyone come across this situation?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts