Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I just bought a 96 TRX 300 2wd. The thing is super clean, owned by the same game since it was new and I got a hell of a deal on it. However it does need a new rear shock. I would also like to adjust the centrifugal clutch and the valves. He said he has never adjusted the valves. As far as the clutch, the bike runs great, but seems to shift. Apparently he adjusted the clutch "just like the book said" and it has always done it since. Just looking for some recommendations on shocks and some info on how to adjust the clutch and the valves. I am planning to get a clymer book for it, but havent quite yet. Thanks for the help!

Chris

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. You made an excellent choice with the Fourtrax 300. There is no adjustment for the centrifugal clutch. The fiber disc clutch has a free play adjustment, but that's not for adjusting for slippage, only for free play. Here is the correct adjustment procedure for the clutch free play.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Here is the valve adjustment procedure.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the info! So could having adjusted the free play incorrectly cause it to shift kinda hard like that? Although that being said, it's a little hard to tell since the whole ass squats really hard since the rear shock is pretty much as solid as jello. Any good upgrades you guys have found that these bikes really like?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Thank you very much for the info! So could having adjusted the free play incorrectly cause it to shift kinda hard like that? Although that being said, it's a little hard to tell since the whole ass squats really hard since the rear shock is pretty much as solid as jello. Any good upgrades you guys have found that these bikes really like?
Is it physically hard to shift or does it just shift hard when you shift it? If the clutch free play isn't adjusted right, then it can make it hard to shift. You could try readjusting it again. If that don't fix it, try turning the adjustment screw a little each way and see if either way helps. If the clutch is slipping, the free play adjustment won't really help. The only thing you can do for that is replace the clutch discs. If it's slipping, that by itself, can make it hard to shift.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it isn't hard to shift, it just seems to shift hard. like when you drive a stick and dump the clutch between shifts. feels like it shifts way harder than my 250 fourtrax ever did. and part of it may be the amount of squatting i am getting from that rear shock. cause it literally will just bounce and bounce and bounce.... you know if anyone has ever used one of those adjustable "coilover style" shocks for these? i found some not ebay for around $60 per or so.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
it isn't hard to shift, it just seems to shift hard. like when you drive a stick and dump the clutch between shifts. feels like it shifts way harder than my 250 fourtrax ever did. and part of it may be the amount of squatting i am getting from that rear shock. cause it literally will just bounce and bounce and bounce.... you know if anyone has ever used one of those adjustable "coilover style" shocks for these? i found some not ebay for around $60 per or so.
It may have something to do with the shock, but you could try adjusting the free play and see if it helps. It's easy to do. I don't really know of anything else that would cause it to shift hard.

I haven't had any experience with anything but the stock shock, but I have heard of people using the 300EX rear shock and I've heard that it makes them ride a lot better. I've also heard of people using the front 300EX shocks. I've never actually seen it done, though.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
the bad shock won't have any affect on how it shifts...sounds to me your problem lies in the clutch disk..if after you did what helmut said to do..and it didn't fix it....more than likely your going to have to replace the clutch disk..i'm betting they are worn to much..they don't last long if someone before you rode the bike hard..and here is a very good tip if you decide to replace the clutch disk..you may as well replace the centifugail clutch also while you have the case off....better to spend money on one gasket now..then have to turn around a few weeks..or months from now..and have to go back inside that case..and risk tearing up a brand new gasket..just because the other clutch went out !..been there..done that...lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know that the shock wont affect the way it shifts, I am just wondering if what I may be interpreting the "hard shifts" is actually the bike just shifting the weight that hard to the rear because the rear shock is completely worn out. it takes absolutely nothing to bottom it out. you can do it easily just by pushing the back down by hand. I am hoping it isnt an issue with the clutch cause that just means more money, but if it needs it, it needs it. I will probably start by replacing the shock cause i know its bad and adjusting the free play and see where that gets me. So do the 300ex shocks bolt right up?

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
I know that the shock wont affect the way it shifts, I am just wondering if what I may be interpreting the "hard shifts" is actually the bike just shifting the weight that hard to the rear because the rear shock is completely worn out. it takes absolutely nothing to bottom it out. you can do it easily just by pushing the back down by hand. I am hoping it isnt an issue with the clutch cause that just means more money, but if it needs it, it needs it. I will probably start by replacing the shock cause i know its bad and adjusting the free play and see where that gets me. So do the 300ex shocks bolt right up?
i don't know if the 300ex shocks will bolt up..i always stick with stock parts on anything i work on..spec my own..but..yeah..fix yer shock problem..try adjusting the clutch free play..see if that solves your problem...if it don't..then your going to have to replace your clutch disk..oh..and make sure your oil is full..and the oil is made for wet clutches !!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
So do the 300ex shocks bolt right up?
As far as I know, but like I said, I've never actually seen it done. That's just what I heard. You know how that goes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh yeah. i know what you mean. i would want to know from someone that has done it or at least seen it before i would do it though. i don't really have the money to buy parts and then hope they will fit.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
oh yeah. i know what you mean. i would want to know from someone that has done it or at least seen it before i would do it though. i don't really have the money to buy parts and then hope they will fit.
buy stock parts..then you know they will fit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
agreed. what i was kinda planning on was going with one of the brand new adjustable shocks for this bike i found on ebay. i found these 2 different ones. didn't seem to bad of a price. although at the same time buying no name stuff kinda makes me wonder a little sometimes....

Honda TRX 300 93-00 Rear Progressive Type Shock : eBay Motors (item 160415440091 end time May-19-10 05:55:44 PDT)

Brand New 93-00 Honda TRX 300 ATV Adjustable Rear Shock : eBay Motors (item 310211823227 end time May-05-10 15:22:23 PDT)

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
The newer models just have a little stiffer suspension in the front end. That's actually a good thing if you are going fast and hit a bunch of pot holes in a row. It won't bounce around as much. The older models had a softer, better ride, but if you hit a bunch of pot holes, they would tend to bounce all over the road. So it's really a trade off on that. I believe the early models were just a little lighter in the front end, too, because of the frame being made different.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I don't know why, but I don't think any of the Honda utility ATVs came out with adjustable shocks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i am probably glad for that reason then that i have a newer one because we ride through some pretty rough terrain sometimes. the front shocks are just fine, the rear is the only suspension issue it has.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
agreed. what i was kinda planning on was going with one of the brand new adjustable shocks for this bike i found on ebay. i found these 2 different ones. didn't seem to bad of a price. although at the same time buying no name stuff kinda makes me wonder a little sometimes....

Honda TRX 300 93-00 Rear Progressive Type Shock : eBay Motors (item 160415440091 end time May-19-10 05:55:44 PDT)

Brand New 93-00 Honda TRX 300 ATV Adjustable Rear Shock : eBay Motors (item 310211823227 end time May-05-10 15:22:23 PDT)
Not a bad price. That's about half of what one would cost from the dealer and it won't be adjustable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i am thinking i will probably go with that second shock i listed. its about $25 than the other, but it just seems like it would probably be better. seller has way better selling record and it just looks a little better in my opinion. but either way, $85 still isnt bad for a brand new adjustable shock

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Welcome to the forums.. Good find on that shock, that looks like a good price for an adjustable unit. Nice to see another 300 around here.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts