Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, this is just a casual observation. I picked up a 1998 TRX300FW last February, and joined a few local facebook ATV pages for parts sources, etc. while I repair / restore it. What I have found out instead, is these FB pages seem to be more of "Look how I f'd up my ATV" type. I have seen plenty of ATVs 5 years old or less, for sale with blown engines / other broken powertrain, smoking / knocking / tapping, electrical system jacked up, home-made snorkel systems that look like crack pipes, you name it. And then the DA's want too much money for their "crap". Funny, but sad too. Philosophically speaking, it is a window on a large part of our society. Too many people put a lot of resources into something good, then abuse it, and then try to pass their mistakes on to someone else. JMHO, YMMV.

How is it around your part of the continent (and overseas too)?

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Louisiana and Mississippi folks down close to the gulf have a TON of trashed bikes for sale.

Up here in Arkansas people want full retail for a sunk machine. Down there at least they tend to be cheap.

But yeah, the FB ATV sites pretty much bring out the dregs of society. That and craigslist.

I dread selling the 420 I'm going to be listing soon, because without fail, even though the first two words of my post will be NO TRADES, the first mouth breather that responds will say "Will you trade for a 92 grand am with a blown head-gasket?" or some equally asinine offer.

And of course the "What's your lowest/ bottom dollar/ what's the least you take?"

And the ever popular "what's the low....CASH?" as if I'd take other sort of payment on a used ATV....

People are funny, and the older I get, the more disgusted I am with humanity in general.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I've always been pretty shocked how hard some people are on machines down south. I'm not really sure why, a lot of guys up here ride pretty hard, myself included but a little bit of maintenance goes a long way, not to mention actually fixing things that are broke vs. running it into the ground.

I have my 94 300 for sale right now, I get trade offers daily for sea doo's, sleds, cars, street bikes. I want CASH people, like the ad states lol. The few cash offers you get are low ball offers anyway, and it seems like if somebody says they are coming to see the thing they feel no obligation at all to actually show up.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Do you ever wonder if it's the way of the younger generations? By this I mean, lack of knowledge and interest in repairing things hence selling on a knackered ATV.

I know a lot of my old high school friends were glued to computers and video games, they had absolutely zero knowledge when it came to spannering. Some couldn't even change an inner tube or fix a puncture on their bicycle!

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Yup, i agree, i see it this way, if one pays out of his own pocket for something, why not take care of your investment ? After all that's exactly what it is an investment.... Why do some things matter while others don't ? Younger gen ? Yup, no parents to instill responsibility ........

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
The keyword.... Responsible.
No matter the age, IQ or location of humans its become one of our gravest problems in the herd. Responsibiltiy is a foundational behavior, one that degrades all other behaviors when its lacking. So, we now deal with folks on a daily basis without any common sense at all. Say something and they all run away... and its all my fault... for identifying stupid... :-(

Can't seem to help most of them, so I avoid them to protect myself.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Certainly live in a society of "Entitlement", not only do I deserve what mom and dad have at the ripe age of 17 but when I don't take care of it, someone should fix it or replace it to at no cost to me! Or........use it, abuse it, destroy it, throw it away or sell it to some unsuspecting ignorant (Not knowledgeable) person, then buy a new one and repeat cycle. I work to hard for what I have to not take care of it. For the most part in our area(south west Montana) things for sale on CL is in pretty fair shape, lot of hard working blue collar workers in our area.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
All the above reasons are why I decided to come off Facebook some years back. It seemed like most of the people on there were more interested in others lives rather than enjoying their own.
One of the most annoying things for me when on Facebook was people writing a for sale Ad and typing as if they were in junior school!

E.G. 4 sale, Onda 450, its 2 fast an it smoks a lil bit. I wan 5 undred pound 4 it.

How do these people get through life?!!

Is it like this in the USA and Canada too?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Just one more reason to add to the list of reasons why I don't, and won't, use facebook for anything.

Reactions: _Wilson_ and SamUK

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
A BIG plus 1 one the above! I wouldn't touch face book with a ten foot stick!

Reactions: Freedomflyer

·
Registered
324 Posts
All the above reasons are why I decided to come off Facebook some years back. It seemed like most of the people on there were more interested in others lives rather than enjoying their own.
One of the most annoying things for me when on Facebook was people writing a for sale Ad and typing as if they were in junior school!

E.G. 4 sale, Onda 450, its 2 fast an it smoks a lil bit. I wan 5 undred pound 4 it.

Yes.
What I can't understand, though, are news articles. They read about the same way, from people who SHOULD have a better mastery of language, and care more.
I am not a grammer Nazi, but I do want to understand, clearly, what the person is trying to convey. My rule of thumb- if they don't care about what they are trying to say, I don't care to read it. Poor grammar is lazy.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FB is like any tool, properly used, it can be very beneficial, but if misused, watch out. Anyway, I saw an ad this morning for a 2014 Polaris 570 with 40 hours / 118 miles, with a snorkel arrangement like a calliope, mud tires that look like they belong on a truck / jeep, new axles, and new fuel pump - $4800. Why did it need the new fuel pump and axles - hmmm?

·
Registered
75 Posts
You should see the Jeep fb groups, they are horrendous. So much in fighting, name calling and shit talking. Our local atv groups are a lot better since there's less people.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I've got a 1st Gen Jeep Unlimited I bought new, but I don't subscribe to most of the local Jeep FB pages. Looks like too much incest and wife-swappin' going on, at least with the jeeps on those pages.

·
Registered
555 Posts
When they pulled the teaching of phonics out of the schools that's when it started. I have a sister in-law that is 2 years younger than I am, and she not only struggles with spelling but word pronunciation as well. I am certain that it is because they pulled the teaching of phonics from the public school curriculum. I am grateful that we were able to send our kids to private school so they were able to get a grasp on our own language.
It maiks me wunder wut kynd ov ejucashun thay wood ov got iffun thay had whent to publik skool.:grin
I'm not an intellectual type of person but do take spelling pretty seriously, I find myself to this day repeating all of the little word associations ("i" before "e" except after "c" and sounded as "a" as in neighbor and weigh) and rhymes I was taught in the 2nd and 3rd grades. Silly but effective.

And I might add I hate face book as well I agree with Jay10

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
You should see the Jeep fb groups, they are horrendous. So much in fighting, name calling and shit talking. Our local atv groups are a lot better since there's less people.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
LOL. Jeeps have always been that way.

I drive CJ's, so any time anyone in a chysler/ fiat comes up and says "I have a Jeep too" I say "Where?"

Asking the mall crawler JK owner what his husband drives is always good for a laugh too.

·
Registered
7 Posts

This exactly...But then again every door knob out there has Facebook now a days. My local pages I follow (Wish I didn't sometimes) are filled with people who cant even spell, yet alone even take a decent picture of what they are trying to sell...

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
You should see the Jeep fb groups, they are horrendous. So much in fighting, name calling and shit talking. Our local ATV groups are a lot better since there's less people.
Jeeps have always been that way.
I drive CJ's, so any time anyone in a Chrysler/Fiat comes up and says "I have a Jeep too" I say "Where?"
Asking the mall crawler JK owner what his husband drives is always good for a laugh too.
The Jeep forums can be real 'pissy' ...... some folks seem to have an 'identity crisis' 24/7

1 - 20 of 30 Posts