Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys(and gals), last night I adjusted the valves on my 87 trx 350. 1intake and both exhaust valves were a loose so I tightened them to 0.003 per the manual. So that a .004 wouldn't fit. My wheeler has more power! There is no doubt it has more low end power! I'm super pumped but is this normal? It backfires just a teensy weensy bit more than before and the idle dropped ever so slightly. But more power! Sweet! Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
They may be a little on the tight side. I couldn't tell ya what to set them too, I don't work on 350's much and shade doesn't own feeler gauges so I doubt he can help you either lol. I know the manual does say 0.003 for both IN/EX.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
If ya got all 4 valves at .003" its perfect. If its popping a bit check the compression release cable adjustment (then you'll need to adjust your valves again), the carb boot for cracks or leaking at the head and adjust the choke cable and idle mixture and idle speed. Should be in fine tune then...

EDIT:
Also sync the slide piston with the butterfly in the carb. Its in the manual... If there are no exhaust leaks your popping should be gone.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies! I guess just putting the valves back where they belong is enough to give her back 1 or 2 hp. I think my timing chain may be stretched a bit. Once she gets good n hot it starts misfiring a bit. It barely does it so I'm not that concerned. I'm very pleased as this is the first time I've ever adjusted valves and it went off better than expected!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.