Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've been a 2 wheel street bike rider for over 30 years. A friend of mine just sold me my first atv. It's a 1983 Honda atv 200 3 wheeler. I understand that I must turn the handle bars to get it to turn. Not just lean. But the bike just won't turn as I think it should. Every little bump throws the bike off track and it just won't turn. I don't dare go into second gear because I can barely control it in first gear. Could there be something wrong or is this normal for this bike?

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad "castering" problem with the two front wheels. Look at them closely . . . very closely. Are they parallel with each other? Are they parallel with the bike body / frame?

If not, you either need a front end alignment or the frame is bent.

Rick

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad "castering" problem with the two front wheels. Look at them closely . . . very closely. Are they parallel with each other? Are they parallel with the bike body / frame?

If not, you either need a front end alignment or the frame is bent.

Rick
only has 3 wheels bro !..lol. not sure why he called it an atv ?, when it's a atc :).

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Hey guys. I've been a 2 wheel street bike rider for over 30 years. A friend of mine just sold me my first atv. It's a 1983 Honda atv 200 3 wheeler. I understand that I must turn the handle bars to get it to turn. Not just lean. But the bike just won't turn as I think it should. Every little bump throws the bike off track and it just won't turn. I don't dare go into second gear because I can barely control it in first gear. Could there be something wrong or is this normal for this bike?
lift the front wheel off the ground, see if the handle bars turn easy ?, if not ?, the head steering bearings are prob bad. you have two sets of bearings in the neck, one at the top of the neck, and one set under the neck. they are not in a closed race !!!. once you go to remove the steering shaft ?, the balls will fall out everywhere !, be careful when doing this. good idea to place a blanket, sheet, something to catch them if they get to the ground.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I said in the originsl post post that it was a 3 wheeler. And I know it's an atc. Just got caught up in the slang and typed atv. My bad.
I caught it, all good, explained to ya what to check :). not everyone read your intro ?, and you posted this thread in the general section, not the repair section where it should be ?, and we don't do many atc's here ? :).

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
The front end turns ok.
If the front end turns on the bars ?, then there is nothing wrong with it. 3-wheelers don't steer like 4-wheelers :).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am mechanically inclined. But this is my first 3 wheeler. I'm thinking it won't turn because it has a positrack type rear end. So I'm trying to find out if this is normal or could there be something wrong???

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Oops. My bad. OK, its a 3-wheeler.

Rick

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I am mechanically inclined. But this is my first 3 wheeler. I'm thinking it won't turn because it has a positrack type rear end. So I'm trying to find out if this is normal or could there be something wrong???
normal. as I said, 3-wheelers steer different than 4-wheelers.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
There is no repair section.
yes, there is a repair section, front page, but, like I said..we don't see many 3-wheelers here ?. you would be better off joining a 3-wheeler forum, this site is for mostly 4-wheelers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts