Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently purchased a 2017 Honda Recon ES for my son. This is the first time I have had a Honda along with the Electric Shift. My son said when he first got it he was able to use the ES to shift thru the gears while letting off the throttle with no issue. Now, he is still able to change gears but has to completely let off the throttle and let it slow down before it will upshift into a higher gear. It almost comes to a stop before it will let him shift and then he is able to accelerate again. Is this normal for these Recons or is there an issue? Sorry for the noob question. Just not familiar with these... yet.

·
Super Moderator
36,940 Posts
not normal. sounds like you need to pull the cover off the front that covers the transfer gears, clean all the factory grease out, put some white lithium (or whatever ? ) grease back in, see if it shifts better ?. might need to check/adjust the clutch as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I adjusted the clutch and I’m still having the issue. It shifts into reverse and 1st without any issues. Going from 2nd to 3rd and up is when I notice the issue. I can press the button to shift up several times but it won’t shift until the atv is almost stopped. Then it will shift to the next gear.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The clutch pack has several friction discs. Sometimes some of them get glued together from overheating.
You will have to remove the front cover to inspect the clutch pack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts