Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Made a video. I just want to make sure everything is installed correctly before i put the crankcase together. Its a 07 honda 400ex. Does it matter what gear its in when put together? I feel four points when shifting. I assume its correct cause neutral + the 4 .You can see it and hear it in the video.
Also, may sound stupid, but the bushings in the diagram that go in between the gears on the 2 shafts have a hole. I assume this is to allow lubrication of the shafts. Do they have to be lined up with the holes in the countershaft and mainshaft? Or does it not matter, cause they will spin around? I just want to make sure. Please let me know if you see anything that needs attention. Is there anything I should definitely replace while in there (timing chain, etc),everything seems ok to me. thanks

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/ATV/2007/TRX400EX+A/TRANSMISSION/parts.html

·
Premium Member
12,683 Posts
nice video CC , I wish I knew how to post videos ------------------ I don't know the ex engines , I know I put my 300 side cover back on with it in gear and had to take it off again , it has to be in neutral , I could shift up but not down > but your engine is totally different

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice video CC , I wish I knew how to post videos ------------------ I don't know the ex engines , I know I put my 300 side cover back on with it in gear and had to take it off again , it has to be in neutral , I could shift up but not down > but your engine is totally different
Its simple if you have a smart phone. Just do a search on Google. I'm surprised nobody has replied. I'm about to take it to the dealer and have them take a look. Shouldn't cost much if anything. I just don't want to close up after a major surgery and have to go back in there again.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Lmao I actually opened this thread because the title reminded of "Does my butt look big"

I dont know the 400ex but know 500's and 420's and I do line up the oiler hole for the same reason you mentioned.
Changing the timing chain is a good idea while the engine is open.
As far as gears go it seems to be changing good. Did you disturb those at all? What's the reason you cracked it open?

On 350's 420's and 500's there is a gear position senor that you would line up to the neutral position when you put a back case cover back so the Shift drum should be in neutral position for it to match up. It might be safe to say the 400ex also has some neutral indicator to match up as well.

When you put the case halves together and the linkage back in you should be able to test all the gear positions at that time to see if it's right and go any farther.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Anytime i have split cases i have always put them back togeather in neutral. Helped alittle to be able to spin things back and fourth to get the case halves to pop togeather. But i do know you can put it back togeather in any gear you want. The oil holes i always line up weather it makes a difference or not im not sure. Everything in the video looks good! But if you did any disassembly of the trans gear sets we cant see if you got all the thrust washers and everything back right. You will find that out when you take it for a ride. If any of the 4 tooth shift couplings arent sharp on the edges of the 4 teeth change them! Any little rounded edge will make for gear slipping! I learned this the hard way once.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok guys. Seems like this little bump from today helped. I have a thread with pics on here of what happened. Son had a loose chain and cracked the case. Will be investing in a case saver now. Unfortunately it was left side so crank shaft and all had to be removed (down to the bone! ). I'll get a new chain and put it in neutral. It has reverse too. I know all the bushings and gears are correct. Checked them on a diagram. Appreciate the replies! Thanks. Oh 1 more thing. I bought the oem gasket kits and I was gonna use just the paper gasket for the crankcase. But, I saw one thread where a guy used ultra copper in addition to the paper gasket. I was thinking of doing this, then I figured if the manufacturer doesn't do it why should i (as long as everything is torqued down correctly, right?). Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Oem fiber gasket is fine. Never had one leak yet. Just make sure gasket surfaces are absolutely spotless. Scotchbrite pads are your friend!

·
Premium Member
12,683 Posts
Last night I was reading the manual for my 300 as I am making a 4x4 engine out of a 2x4 engine , something I read that may help you was , they tell you after the case halves are together to cut any gasket that is sticking out flush with the case or a leak my develop

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.