Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a sticky explaining how to set the timing on a 300 fourtrax?

I've not really done much internal work with ATV or bike engines so any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Do you have the factory service manual?? I assume not?!

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Send me your email, and I'll send you the manual.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, you have PM

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
there is a sticky on how to set and adjust valves, pretty much covers how to set the timing on a trx300, covers all 4-strokes.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Read that shady, it helped, thanks..

So here's how it went.. Set the crank to the T mark and the cam is approximately 2mm out, it's out by that much on both compression and induction. Is that right? Does that show any alarming signs to you guys?
To me it's close and is possibly just worn due to its age.

My next question is, while it's apart I'm going to fit my cam, any advice on this? How do I know the cam is in the correct position, is there only one position that will align it correctly?

As I said, I've never worked on a bike engine apart from a piston change on a two stroke so I'm going into this blind and don't want to 'F' it up lol.

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
there is only one way to put the cam in right , but two ways it could go in ------------------ put the cam lobes facing down, with the thread hole that you can see straight up , T mark in the window , and the lines on the sprocket will line up with the flat plain of the engine

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks fish, I knew you'd be along at some point and see this. I didn't want to get it all fitted, put it back together, turn it over by hand and find something jammed!

Is it usual for the cam to be very slightly out of time like mine? I'm assuming there never absolutely dead on are they?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You should be able to get it pretty spot on. If I am not able to get it just right I will usually move the cam chain ahead or back one tooth on the cam sprocket and then do a counterclockwise revolution using a ratchet on the crank bolt and end up back at TDC on the compression stroke (cam lobes pointing down) and check how the marks line up with the head again. Keep playing with it until you get it as close as possible.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts