Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I have a 2000 Honda TRX250 recon that was sitting for about 8 years. Got it from a friend - he didn't want to spend any money on it and is not mechanically inclined. Anyway, I like tinkering on things, ended up pulling the motor, took the top end off and noticed that the piston was not connected to the crankshaft. Basically the connecting rod exploded inside the motor, metal chunks everywhere (probably wasn't properly serviced and/or revved too high). See pics.

I got this thing for free and don't mind putting a little bit of money to get it to run. However, I'm not sure if it's worth it and what all would need to be done?

My guess is, obviously the cylinder, piston, and connecting rod would need to be replaced. Would I also need to replace the crankshaft?

I'd really prefer to fix it, aside from the blown piston/rod this thing is like brand new. Is it worth it or am I just wasting my time?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Travas, that’s encouraging! If I have replace the crankshaft then it will probably run close to $800 in parts. Is it difficult to rebuild the bottom end?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, some people have told me that it will be difficult to get all the metal chunks out of the motor. If I split the case, I think I can get everything out and maybe spray it off with carb cleaner. Has anyone had any experience dealing with something like that? Any word of advice?

·
Registered
18 Posts
i would definatly spilt the case . but first drain the oil. once you split it i would inspect the crankshaft and check for aluminum rubbing where the rods connects to the crankshaft. definatly clean if with carb cleaner and even a magnet. i havent had to replace internals yet, but it can be difficult. keep us up to date on it so we can help you

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi everyone! I have a 2000 Honda TRX250 recon that was sitting for about 8 years. Got it from a friend - he didn't want to spend any money on it and is not mechanically inclined. Anyway, I like tinkering on things, ended up pulling the motor, took the top end off and noticed that the piston was not connected to the crankshaft. Basically the connecting rod exploded inside the motor, metal chunks everywhere (probably wasn't properly serviced and/or revved too high). See pics.

I got this thing for free and don't mind putting a little bit of money to get it to run. However, I'm not sure if it's worth it and what all would need to be done?

My guess is, obviously the cylinder, piston, and connecting rod would need to be replaced. Would I also need to replace the crankshaft?

I'd really prefer to fix it, aside from the blown piston/rod this thing is like brand new. Is it worth it or am I just wasting my time?

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is going to be fatal. You will have debri in the bearings for the shafts and everywhere else find a different motor. You will be putting in more money than what it is worth and I mean that parts are getting nuts right now. Looks like it was ran without oil. I can see parts going to be in the 800 to 1200 range plus more for rebuilding the head and the cylinder is another matter that is toast good luck

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
I would disassemble the engine and inspect the parts before deciding. the members at atvhonda.com are pretty knowledgeable.
download the service manual from the link in my signature block below

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys for your responses! I'm planning on splitting the case this weekend to determine what parts will need to be replaced. In the meantime, here are some photos of my cylinder head. Would I need to replace the valves or do any work to the cylinder head?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Splitting the case is not difficult, putting it back together is the hard part. The metal chunks are not a big deal especially if you are splitting the case. When putting it back together, printing diagrams from partzilla, makes the job a lot easier. Also don’t forget to get special tools like a flywheel holder and etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've finally split the case and I gotta say - this thing is a gift that keeps on giving. Looks like connecting rod smacked the crankcase and chipped some pieces off 😭
(see pics below) So now, on top of everything, I'll need to see if I can find me a crankcase replacement.

I saw a few used ones on ebay but does anyone know where I may be able to find a clean used or new crankcase for a descent price? Part # 11200-HM8-000.

I was also leaning toward having my crankshaft rebuilt with a new connecting rod. However, I'm hesitant to reuse the existing bearings from the original crank. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I can get a descent price on a new crankshaft assembly? Part # 13000-HM8-000. I've looked at Rocky Mountain ATV and they're asking a little over $400. Thank in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks @Valley Wrenchin , I'll make sure to replace the bearings.

Today, I was inspecting some of the parts and noticed that camshaft had a "chip" See photos. Is this normal? Should I replace it or can it be reused?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Buying a brand new OEM crankcase is a little bit pricey (300-600). You should be fine buying a used one off eBay, just make sure to inspect the photos really closely. I would get a wiseco bottom end rebuild kit, it is a bit more expensive than other brands like hot rod or all balls, but I think it is worth it. the kit has a crank, bearings, rod, gaskets, and whatnot. The cam has a lot of visible wear on it, it needs replacing, I would get a hotcams stage 1 or 2 just for a little more power. I also see you have discoloration on the valve springs and spring retainers, I don't know what that is. What do you think Valley Wrenchin.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Buying a brand new OEM crankcase is a little bit pricey (300-600). You should be fine buying a used one off eBay, just make sure to inspect the photos really closely. I would get a wiseco bottom end rebuild kit, it is a bit more expensive than other brands like hot rod or all balls, but I think it is worth it. the kit has a crank, bearings, rod, gaskets, and whatnot. The cam has a lot of visible wear on it, it needs replacing, I would get a hotcams stage 1 or 2 just for a little more power. I also see you have discoloration on the valve springs and spring retainers, I don't know what that is. What do you think Valley Wrenchin.
possibly from oil starvation

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, probably
I think the guy who owned the 4wheeler before just wasn't checking the level of the oil, and finally, the rod bearing seized starting a tornado inside the engine.
The bearings need to be replaced 100%.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts