Honda ATV Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
keep the trx300fw, the trx420's are junk...that 300 will last if taken care of.

Reactions: Jay Grampy1

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Really, What makes them junk? I really would like to know your honest opinion.
haha..i can give you a list of reasons..you got all day to read ?..lmao. first: the rods are made from one of the worst metals ever made !. the pistons are the same, the transmissions fail on 1st and 4th gear sets. the rear diff wont hold up, bad ring gears and bad pinion gears. fuel pumps have failed big time on most of the early trx420's..fuel injections are the only thing that seems to hold up. the rear axle always seems to leak gear oil from a bad o-ring design. the rear drive shaft output is not inclosed ?, which makes this area prone to crap getting into the rear diff. the list goes on and on, but these are the top ones that come to mind. i've worked on, and owned trx300's for 29 yrs, i know them inside and out. most trx300's made from 1988 to 2000 were made solid, unlike newer atvs today.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
And another thing, not to be mean, but if the 420's are as bad as you say they are, then why does Honda still make them? And more importantly, why do they keep selling?

·
Registered
33 Posts
And another thing, not to be mean, but if the 420's are as bad as you say they are, then why does Honda still make them? And more importantly, why do they keep selling?

Andy,

I have worked on a 420 rancher a while back that needed a lot of work... though it was used mainly for mud riding and not really taken care of like it should have been. I rebuilt the top end, replaced the timing chain and tensioner, replaced both valves, valve springs, valve seals, new cylinder, piston, rings, piston pin. I also installed a 40% gear reduction, new upgraded primary clutch springs and new secondary clutch discs in the bike as the guy went up to 30" tires.
A few months ago, i got the bike back and a new rear solid axle, bearings, seals and rear brake job was done on it. I agree with Shadetree that the 420's lack dependability in certain areas and will eventually cost you money (but hey they all do) if you ride 'em. Just according what your purpose for the bike is mainly and how you take care of it. Just my 2 cents worth on the bike from owning one.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Yeah, my 300 I bought, wasn't very well taken care of, and it needed a lot of work. But that's just part of owning something that has tires, it will give you trouble. I don't know how well the Rancher I am looking at has been taken care of, but I think it's a farm machine, so probably not very many miles, but rode hard and put away wet. And just like a 420, a 300 has it's weak points. This 300 has already cost me quite a bit, I have about 2800 in to it, and pretty quick if I put more money into it it won't be worth all I put in it. At it's current condition, what would you say the 420 is worth?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I want to buy a 2013 Honda rancher 4x4. it's the base model, so five speed manual, with a solid rear axle. I want to know all of your opinions on a base model rancher, and if It's a good or a bad idea to sell my 1993 fourtrax 300 4x4 to buy this, and why. I really want to look at this from all angles, so pleas be sure to share your knowledge. Thanks to any response.
We've got an 03' rancher. Runs and runs and runs. Very utilitarian. No power steering, so turns "heavy", as it's full time 4x4 too. is it's it's named - a hard working ranch hand!
Very low maintenance- check the oil now and then and keep decent gas in it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 08 through 13 - 420 ranchers. I’ve owned an 08 since new. Much better 4X4 setup than the 300. In 2014 they started putting the rancher in the larger frame. The 08 - 13 models are in a medium sized frame. I’d rather have the 420 in the medium frame.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
How hard have you rode it? does it have a lot of miles? and didn't they make the rancher in 2007?

·
Registered
297 Posts
The 07 was a crossover year, If I remember correctly. The 420 went injected in 08. My 350 Rancher was carbureted. I don’t abuse my ATVs but they ride in some rough country. The 420 Rancher does better in the snow with its 4X4. The medium framed 420 is very nimble on the trail. I put an hour meter on my 08 to keep track of oil changes. I’ve replaced the original wheels with 12” ones, put a warn winch on and replaced the tires on the 12” wheels once in 12yrs. No mechanical or electrical issues with the 08 Rancher.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Black with Honda aluminum wheels.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think the wheels were off an early SRA Rubicon? Those are heavy duty aluminum wheels! Hard to find now...

61 - 77 of 77 Posts