Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to buy a 2013 Honda rancher 4x4. it's the base model, so five speed manual, with a solid rear axle. I want to know all of your opinions on a base model rancher, and if It's a good or a bad idea to sell my 1993 fourtrax 300 4x4 to buy this, and why. I really want to look at this from all angles, so pleas be sure to share your knowledge. Thanks to any response.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I want to buy a 2013 Honda rancher 4x4. it's the base model, so five speed manual, with a solid rear axle. I want to know all of your opinions on a base model rancher, and if It's a good or a bad idea to sell my 1993 fourtrax 300 4x4 to buy this, and why. I really want to look at this from all angles, so pleas be sure to share your knowledge. Thanks to any response.
You wanting to buy the 420 rancher?

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He said it smokes a little, (he thinks it's a valve adjustment) the seat is ripped, and it needs brake work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did he say it quit smoking after it ran a while or all time smoke? Could be valve adjustment or could be valve seals or need a top end job. Hard to say without further inspection

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, he is asking 3500 for it, is that reasonable? I would like to look at it in person before I sell mine.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What do you think of it, do they have lots of power? I don't know if you have any experience with a 300, but how well does it stack up against a 300?

·
Registered
33 Posts
To be honest I would rather have the Foreman 500 or the Rubicon with the independent rear suspension. The rancher is nice but not comfortable for long rides due to the single rear axle and shock. They have decent power but if I was gonna get one to mud ride on, I would definitely get a bigger machine.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I am not going to be doing mudding, just around the property work, and the occasional trail ride. Have you had any experience with a Fourtrax 300?

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, In your opinion would it be wise to sell the 300 and buy a 420? I actually just got off the phone with the guy selling it, and he said it only smokes on start up, and clears up when warm, so I am thinking valve seals.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In my opinion there’s not much difference in the two machines. If i wanted to upgrade to a slightly bigger machine the I would buy it.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I weigh a little over 200 lbs, and a 300 is kinda gutless, so it might be a better option. And what do you think about the efi?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yea the 420 has a bigger platform for sure and has decent power. The EFI is definitely a plus to have over carburetors. Haven’t had any issues with my sons so far

1 - 20 of 77 Posts