Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04 350 Rancher has gotten to the point that the down shift button doesn't work very well. When it does function, it makes a decided shifting sound. When it doesn't, it makes a "lame effort" sound, like it’s (whiney) "too tired". I talked to the dealer's service guy who suggested there could be water in a connector. (This machine hasn't been in substantial water this year, and it's always garaged) He showed me where to look. The first connector (up "under the hood" on a bracket with a couple other complex connectors) I couldn't even get apart (can’t figure out what tang or whatever to push/pry). Instead of getting mad and breaking it, I moved to the shift button box on the handlebar and opened it up. Trying to find a way to expose the wire so I could apply a short (emulating a switch closure) with an alligator clip lead, I tugged the wire against the little push button switch. I found that it seemed to work most of the time, while holding tension of the wire(s) against the switch. Anyway, I got copper exposed on both sides of the switch and used the alligator clipped lead to emulate a button push and it didn't seem to work very reliably. The other connector that he showed me, at the front of the motor/tranny do-dad (looks like 3 wires), I was going to have to pull a bolt or two, and I haven't looked at that yet. I really thought I was onto something with the little push button switch. If the switch was bad, I don't see a graceful way of replacing it (non-connectorized wires disappear into the middle of the universe). Any suggestions? Is this a common problem with the TRX350 Fourtrax? If so, since it has the shifting shaft exposed, can this be retrofitted to a manual/foot shift?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
When you turn the key on, does the gear indicator flash?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes yes, other times it has a solid indication as to what gear it's in. I don't think it has anything to do with the (what's it called) the gear indicater sensor. When the indicated gear position is flashing, I can (often times) turn off the key, wrench it into neutral, turn the key back on, then it shows a steady "N". It feels like a selenoid (or whatever does the shifting) isn't being given full "juice" when it is failing to shift. It does seem that if it doesn't shift and I hit the down shift button several times, it confuses it into the "flashing indicater" mode.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Have you tried retrieving any trouble codes that have been stored?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yipes! I'm going to have print this out, take it out to the shed tomorrow after work and see if I can make heads or tails of what it's trying to tell me. I was thinking the flashing was just a dumb "I can't figure out what gear I'm in" indicator. I guess I know who is the dummy now...thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like the "Latest" and "Old" problem code was three flashes. I think that is a result of having to manually shift the tranny with the wrench. It now is (mostly) behaving OK. There is still the occasional time that I have to hit the down shift button a couple times. Here is my current theory; The down shift button is marginal/flakey. When it's acting up, it (at times) causes the shifting mechanism to parially shift to an ambigious state. Therefore the "angle sensor system" code. I end up having to manually shift, which doesn't help things since I'm not placing it squarely in the right position. I'm still leaning toward the down shift button. If indeed that is the problem, do you know if you have to cut the wires and splice the new one in? Let me know if you think I'm all off. Thanks...dcc

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I would delete the codes and operate the ATV until the problem occurs again and then, retrieve the code. If it is still code 3, the angle sensor, I would test the angle sensor. Also, check the plug that plugs into the angle sensor and make sure it's clean and free of corrosion, as this is a problem sometimes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I'll take it for a couple short test drives between now and this weekend, when we'll take it to the mountain. I'll let you know if/when it fails and what the code is...dcc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts