Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the process of installing a winch on my Foreman. Looking at all of the wiring I noticed where the hand-held control plugs into the winch harness, this will have to be mounted some place on the Body? (I hope not) I was wondering if there a specific location anyone has found that makes it easy to mount, easy access and you didn't have to cut into the body plastic panels?

It's not a big issue, but I'd like to know if mounting it in a specific place would be of any benifit?

Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could you mount it on the handle bars or the front rack?
My dads is mounted on the handle bars if I remember right
Tom, that would have been a great idea. I just now finished installing it about 6" away from the winch itself. I made a special bracket I painted the same color as Honda uses on the frame.

I almost installed it in the rear near the battery, but thought better of that. And then I thought about not using this option at all? But I had the thing already, and it is nice to have if you ever need to have one of your hands free. I'm happy with where I ended up putting it. I wasn't really thrilled about possibly drilling into the plastic, so I'm glad I made the bracket and mounted it to the frame.

But thanks for giving me another idea. I may have done what you suggested if I hadn't already started.

Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope you can see the photo of the bracket and where I ended up installing the winch receiver. I didn't want to cut into the plastic body, but I also wanted a place out of the way so when and if I ever needed the hand held winch remote I could just plug it in and use it.

After some thinking I thought here was good enough. If you look at the photo, the bracket with the plug is on the left side looking at front of the ATV.

I also added a photo of the inside of the front right wheel well where I ran the wiring for the winch and the remote. I used red plastic wire tubing to run all of the wires through everything to keep it decent looking, and to keep the wires together.

Right now until I get the mounting bracket in for the plow I'm installing, this is it. While I was at running the wires I also ran a couple of extras. The plow is going to have the push button blade motor that moves the blade side to side without the rider ever getting off of the ATV to move or adjust the blade.

Makes it nice when you're plowing snow and you have to re-adjust the plow all of the time. But I'll get some pictures of that when I finally get the parts in and get it done.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Good Deal. I would not want to cut the plastic up either We mounted everything on the handle bars. I hate to cut up beautiful bew plastic or even old. It looks good and I like the way you loomed your wires. Most people don'tpay attebtion to little details like that. It makes for a factory or proffesional look.
Anyways LOOKS GREAT!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I bought my bike with the winch installed and it is on the left handlebar next to the brake.

While using the winch I wish it had a remote switch up front, but, if/when I get a plow I know I'll want a switch exactly where it is now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought my bike with the winch installed and it is on the left handlebar next to the brake.

While using the winch I wish it had a remote switch up front, but, if/when I get a plow I know I'll want a switch exactly where it is now.
Hi Pain, I have two switches for the Winch. The first one I ran through and mounted directly on the top mounting screw on the right side brake handle. This position was perfect for when I do finally mount the plow. I can use my right thumb to run the cable IN and Out to lift and lower the plow.

The second portable hand-held unit for the winch is mounted up front. This way you don't have to be on the ATV to activate the buttons. Originally I wasn't going to use this feature, but decided it came with the winch, so what the heck?

As for the plow. I ordered the Warn Power Pivot that turns the blade left to right while you're on the seat. I'm going to mount that switch on the left side of the handlebar where the brake handle is. This way the left side controls the side to side motion of the plow. And the right controls the Up and Down of the blade. And both switches will be in the same exact position except on opposite sides of each other.

When I finish with the installation, I'll take pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good Deal. I would not want to cut the plastic up either We mounted everything on the handle bars. I hate to cut up beautiful bew plastic or even old. It looks good and I like the way you loomed your wires. Most people don'tpay attebtion to little details like that. It makes for a factory or proffesional look.
Anyways LOOKS GREAT!
Thanks Tom, One thing I know is I would rather take the time at my convience to do things the right way. Than to do a poor install and have it break down at it's convience. I've found when things do break.....They do it at the worst time. Like when you need it most, in the deep mud or out in the middle of BFE. And no-one else is around.

So I try to think about every little thing that can go wrong when I put something together. And from what I've seen and have been reading. So do a lot of others on this forum. Including yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts