Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys are going to kill me. We bought this for cheap and it was rough. But not this bad. Rode it while the 96 sat for three years. It makes a terrible grindin noise from the final drive. Uggggggggggggg.
GOPR0066.jpg
Here you can see where the rear bearings are out.

GOPR0068.jpg
Rusted muffler and busted plastic.

GOPR0078.jpg
More plastic that came off.

GOPR0082.jpg
Decided to open final drive and mud poured out.:icon_ cry:

GOPR0069.jpg
Oh yeah when i bought it the rear hubs were welded on.
Is this worth fixin if i need two quads and have another good runnin quad?
But is it even fixable?:r_c:
(read the last part of my sig)

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Sucks but fixable. Either buy used assembly like you were going to, or cut off the axle, and tear down the diff and axle housing to see if those are usable. If so I would buy a good ring and pinion set, all new diff bearings and seal kit, good rear axle and hubs, with a new rear axle bearing kit, and slap it all back together.

Plastics get brittle and break... not much ya can do, we won't kill you. :)

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Clutch adjustment and fix the brakes. :) Any fluid in the front master?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes new fluid but they dont work. tie rod ends and some other front rubber steerin thingy are dry rotting. And some times the head light dont work sometimes both on sometimes both off sometimes on high both on just left and on low both or just left. Rear ims are wollered out and needs new lug bolts left rear has only two.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Sounds like your just falling apart there bud, lol. Cleaning electrical connections, dielectric grease in them, replace the front rubber steery thingies, and a hand full of new lug nuts should be a good start.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
No worries, its all fixable and well worth it. Even if you want a new bike your better off fixing it up... will be an easier resale.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
That I'm not sure of, haven't done much with a old 250 to know, someone will be along though.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
First squeeze off the brake line with a set of vice grips, and pull the brake lever. If it is hard, this tells you the master is good. If it builds no pressure, then the master is your first thing to rebuild.

If master is good, next part is to make sure brake fluid is going through the lines, pop one bleeder screw and hit the brakes. If fluid comes out, close the bleeder and then let off the brake. Try the next.

If thats good, the problem is in the brake drums, most likely a siezed or leaking wheel cylinder that will need to be cleaned and rebuilt.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
yes the fourtrax 250 rear end will work. but you'll need the entire rear end assembly: (rear end, axle, hubs, brake assembly,etc.)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes, i have an old junker 250 do i just take off the whole swing arm? Im confused because the brake assy. is further to the right on the 250 and it has those axle covers

1 - 20 of 41 Posts