Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shocked this 5:30-+ morning...... A so called friend of mine pulled the ultimate ..... Road Shot a buck (nice 6 point) in my front lot, and had the nerve to park on my property and go tracking, i had to go move equipment , no time to confront him, he was gone when i got back, my friend who has hunting rights on my property, AND supply's SOME of my firewood is livid, as am I, some hunters around here think they own wherever they choose to hunt. NOPE... We're seeking charges soon.

Im thinking A good stay in bar hotel, or a good ol fashion a-- beating

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
anddddddddddddd..its your fault !..lol. you alone let him on your property, no one to blame but YOU !.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
I feel your pain, the amount of folks here in PA that have NO problem trespassing and or using private ;land as if its there own is crazy, I used to catch a good 40+ hunters a yr trespassing and every Yr different one's, I have had them kill deer, and leave them steal things while trespassing, and couldn;t tell you how many would tell me they OWNED the land when they for sure didn't
and also how many got pissed off when I threw them off the land, the local police and game dept is useless, will not even show up if you call them and they all pass the buck saying NOT there job call the other agency
and THAT is why trespassing is so common here

worst yet, I have caught tons of FATHERS teaching there kids this is OK to do, and also why its so common here
and as a FACT I have even caught Fish wardens trespassing as well as local cops??

good luck nailing them with any fines you can is alll I can say
here in PA< it costs me more $$ than they will ever pay if I take things to court!
UNLESS< I can prove they were warned once before, as a second time trespassing is a felony here called, Criminal trespass!
its the only thing I have been able to scare anyone with about coming back and IF I catch them a second time I will follow thru and nail them, and with a felony charge on record, they loose there LEGAL rights to own a gun.
it keeps MOST from coming back, but every yr new jerks show up

one yr I managed to find 20 arrows out in one field ALL from illegal hunting!(out of season hunting too)

the one farm, managed, the last 10 yrs I ran it and the last LEGAL 25+ deer that were shot off it, ALL had 22 cal or 9 mm slugs in them, every deer taken had been shot at least once and was just wounded, used to kill a lot of deer with bullet holes thru there ears(spotlighting deer is legal and well, cheaters well, poach shooting at glowing eye's under a light and guess miss shots hit ears pretty often??)

I hate cheaters and trespassers, nail em all if you can folks and DON"T be one of them!

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
My two friends had occasional permission to hunt on a rancher’s place—a heritage site. The owner told the guys they couldn’t hunt one year because he wanted the herd to rebuild after a fever outbreak. One found out the other took a deer off the property—and the two didn’t speak for 10 years.
When a friend of mine takes me to a favorite spot, I never go there by myself or with anyone else.
I hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Naw shade he shot from his pickup on a public road, THEN came up my drive , parked and went tracking, he never asked permission ... Sadly i didn't think to snap a pic of his truck....

i had to go move equipment

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
yep...share your frustration... we have always said 'no' to friends wanting to hunt our property...it's well posted..even though not required in our state...we have a dozen trail cams up...so we see them after the fact...on occassion we are able to get a DNR to look at the pics . we have even made large posters of some of the worst offenders and put those on trees..so the tresspassers know we've got em on camera and the signs tell them we'll prosecute.

hunters with deer fever are the worst...followed closely by ATV riders..and in our county we have an ordinance with $450 fines for the quad riders if caight tresspassing...some of the offenders think they know the law when it comes to utility easements..so we post details on our tresspass signage trying to help educate them.....some guys just don't care..unless they spot a trail cam and we see them promptly turning around.

I had to explain it to one guy and his teenage son walking up my drive one night after 9:30pm...well after dark allowance...they had made a lousy shot on a deer and then lost it..they were hunting on my property illegally to begin with..then out there in the night armed on my property...and of course I had to go find the animal next day..a wasted deer...told the guy he was teaching his kid all the wrong stuff..and that if I caught them on my property after dark, armed, again...I would treat them as an armed tresspassing threat..and yes.. I'm always armed...very frustrated.

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
Naw shade he shot from his pickup on a public road, THEN came up my drive , parked and went tracking, he never asked permission ... Sadly i didn't think to snap a pic of his truck....

why would he ask for permission ?, you said in your first post he had hunting rights to your property ?, either this is a state law thing ? ( like right-away ) or, you gave him permission to enter your land ?. sooooooo..which is it ?, if its the later ?, then again..its your fault he was on your land. until you tell him to stay off your property ?, or have the land posted no trespassing ?, he'll keep being on your land.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Mello Yellow , Drive By-Media ! ----

We have a thing down here called Operation Game Thief , you call the toll free number and you don't have to give your name , and you report any wildlife violations , and they are busy , many articles I read about the " Bad Boys " start off with " With a tip to operation game thief ...." , I read a lot of the bad boy news to see if any one I know is in the news and how stupid people are , they really pile it on you when you go rouge on the wildlife , some of the charges seem like the same thing , just piling it on , stuff like shooting from a vehicle , shooting from a public road , shooting within 300 ft of a residence or business , shooting illegal hours , shooting with artificial lighting , failure to properly tag , failure to report kill , intentionally trying to hide illegal game or deceive a wildlife agent , and a whole bunch more charges that come up with , one that has become popular is contributing to the deliquesce of a minor , if you have a minor with you and do a violation they are adding it on , my buddy got it and 8 other counts with his 15 yr old son on a Federal Game Reserve with ducks involved and it wasn't pretty ----------- I have seen people get 15 or more charges for one incident , restitution is big now days , a deer is valved right over $1,600 and that amount is added to what ever fine and court cost you would get , every rabbit , fish , bird , duck has a restitution valve on it , one dude I read about recently got caught killing 3 deer @ $1,600+ each added to the other 9 charges he got and lost his licenses for 3 years and some times when violators act really stupid they will make the persons forfeit any equipment used in the violation like guns , trucks , atv's , boats , whatever and it goes up for auction ----the Wildlife has a lot of power down here , they don't need a search warrant if they have reasonable suspicion that you have illegal game on your property they will come in , they done it to my buddies mom , LOL , he shoot a illegal season doe and someone ratted him out , the wildlife went to his house knocked on the door ,he wasn't home , they told his mom the story and she let them come in cause they told her they were coming in anyways and take the deer from the freeze ----another thing I see a lot of these days are wildlife violators busted by the Wildlife Internet Division ( or what ever they call themselves ) , one dude just posted pics on the net of this big deer he shot on someone else property in another state and from camera pics they proved where the deer came as the horns were very unique from and he fessed up to it

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My bad for not being so clear. MM nailed it..... twinky and i have plenty posted no trespassing markers up plus four other gates locked and quiet a few trail cameras but posting NT signs at my driveway entrance ???? ....naw, I'm not going that route.....

I'll say this..... I've seen some really good friends come to hate one another over deer hunting around here.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

why would he ask for permission ?, you said in your first post he had hunting rights to your property ?, either this is a state law thing ? ( like right-away ) or, you gave him permission to enter your land ?. sooooooo..which is it ?, if its the later ?, then again..its your fault he was on your land. until you tell him to stay off your property ?, or have the land posted no trespassing ?, he'll keep being on your land.
Shade, give it up please. It is clear he trusted his friend initially and then his friend betrayed that trust. You go out of way to be kind and helpful to many people here and then you argue. Sometimes it seems like you just want to win an argument.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Wooooooooo! Like my old buddy Jay10 use to say , I am tuned in !!! Going get some popcorn !!!! And set the e-mail alert !!!!

We had a trespasser thing happen yesterday , with a Jeep , dem Jeep people are the pits , LOL< neighbor lady who lives at one of the entrances calls and says a Jeep went into the trails past the posted signs and got stuck bad , she could hear him back there trying to get out , so by the time we got there he had gotten out and was gone , but from the description of the vehicle and driver given by the lady to a couple of friends found out the guy driving had his license taken away a couple of months back for 3rd DWI , I doubt he would have wanted to meet up with the sheriff for trespassing while driving

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been dealing trespassers (on 500 archers multiple farms) for years....but..... BUT A road fired shot In front of my home, , ......at 5:30 am...... Naw..... That's a complete lack of respect, from (past) a friend.

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
Shade, give it up please. It is clear he trusted his friend initially and then his friend betrayed that trust. You go out of way to be kind and helpful to many people here and then you argue. Sometimes it seems like you just want to win an argument.
this isn't about me wining an argument ?..its about standing up to the law. law says in Arkansas, if your property is posted no trespassing ?, then you damn well better not be on that property, or its jail time. excuse me for standing up for my rights.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
This isn't about me winning an argument ? It's about standing up to the law. Law says in Arkansas, if your property is posted no trespassing, then you damn well better not be on that property, or it's jail time. Excuse me for standing up for my rights.
Is Arkansas close to Tennessee where the OP lives ?

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
every state has different rules on trespassing
IMO, one of the best sets up I know for being on private property for HUNTING,(and should be for other things)
is HAVING to have written permission slips ON YOU WHILE ON PROPERTY, plain and simple if caught without them ,your 100% in the wrong and time to open the wallet up or WORSE go to jail
state laws vary too much too IMO< should be the same every where
and I am NOT one to believe you should HAVE to post your land
its your's
you paid for it, and I shouldn't have to spend more money to keep trespassers off it

if the land ISN"T your's
its rather simple, your trespassing on someone's land that DOES own it!
people should be responsible enough to be able to keep track of where there are and NOT make is someone else's JOB to inform them of where they are at!

if you don;t know, DON"T GO
nothing in life is free folks, and its NOT everyone else's job to tell you what or how to do things!
on lands here in PA< I LEGALLY do NOT Need posted signs, yet all the land I managed I put them up, and most had a sign every 20-30 ft ALL the way around, add up a few miles of property border and then the costs for all them signs and hardware to place them, time spent to install them
and then have some Jackass, trespass any how, and tear down signs as they wander about
and its real easy to get mad as can be at folks without the decency to ASK first!
and even more insulting when you call law enforcement and they don't care about helping,a s they see it as a minor crime in PA
I have many times wished I could shoot trespassers, some yrs I'd of filled a lot of body bags LOL

a simple needed ON person written permission slip would IMO, at least HELP, law enforcement side of things
over a he said, she said deal

and also, JUST cause a person ONCE HAD permission, doesn't mean they have it forever, thus again a DATED written permission slip !

in ohio, for all the private lands I used to hunt, I got a NEW permission slip that showed stated I can be on private property and NOT, and there free to print out off the OHIO game Dept web site
utterly simple thing that solves a LOT of problems
get caught without a slip on you, and fines AIN"T cheap, win for the game dept that makes easy $$$ and gives them reason to check folks

and well a WIN for land owners
sure not all play by the rules still, but its a 150% better than things in PA as one example!

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
bottom line is; your not allowed to shoot deer from a vehicle, also , to shoot it on a friends property, to block a the friends access to his own, equipment.
its a matter of respect. not just for the law part of it, but for a friend to show that much disrespect? :sad

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
This isn't about me winning an argument ? It's about standing up to the law. Law says in Arkansas, if your property is posted no trespassing, then you damn well better not be on that property, or it's jail time. Excuse me for standing up for my rights.
well..he's just a few hours away ..lol.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya....it's a neighboring state ....west of me....I'm right next to shady

This issue is complecated ....... Because.... I'm very good friends with his family... (Whom Ive known for years, n have financial dealings with) And this issue with him shooting from his truck....... Has been going on for years..... Even his family gets grief over his actions, they don't lke the boat being rocked ether.....my friend is the one who's wanting charges brought up...... I'd like to settle this easy like......

I'm not posting no trespassing markers at my drive entrance ......guys....pardon me for getting some blood up here....that wasn't my intention.

Thx guys enjoy the vid, I'm off this topic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Crw9X_hW-bE#fauxfullscreen

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
From what I understand around here , it use to be , you had to post your land with signs every so many feet , with the name and phone number of the owner or trespassing couldn't be charged against an offender , but they tell me now days the land doesn't need posted signs for trespasser to be prosecuted , you need to know where you are at

1 - 20 of 169 Posts
About this Discussion
168 Replies
15 Participants
MOguy
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing