Honda ATV Forum banner

Ignition issues - TRX Foreman

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  parche 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2013 Honda TRX 500 Foreman.
It has started to have an ignition issue.

I hear a click sound when I press the ignition switch but it does not start the quad.

The pull cord works fine to start the quad.
Also once I've got the quad started via the cord and turn it off, the ignition switch will work again for a while.

Ideas?

#6 ·
Remove and Clean the battery cables and battery terminals. Clean the cables attaching to the solenoid too, along with the ground cable attaching to the motor. Clean the cable attaching to the starter motor as well Have the battery load tested (and replace if weak) if clean cables don't solve the problem. You can test the solenoid while cleaning the cables.

#7 ·
Good point! I have had issues that were little more than a corroded contact.

Had a Jeep Grand Cherokee electrical issue that was driving me nuts. Turned out the battery ground cable was bad. The ends looked fine, but about 3 inches back from the battery connection there were only a hand full of strands that were not green powder.

#9 ·
Good deal! It is good when members post the final outcome of a problem , so many times they just disappear after the ATV is running again .

So now you know when the " filth " starts to show up on the battery terminals , it is time to do some preventative maintenance and clean them up ------------ it is messy but I put dielectric grease on my terminals and cable ends , a terminal protector spray is out there , in fact I have some , but the grease is what it gets

#10 ·
I have 2 machines that had the same problem. The issue is the brushes in the starter have worn to the point they do not make good contact with the commutator. In both cases I replaced the brushes and solved the problem. If you do not feel comfortable replacing the brushes ( not hard ), replace the starter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.