Honda ATV Forum banner

Ignition Coil not firing ['85-'87 TRX Foreman 350]

21K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  TRX2fiveO 
#1 ·
I recently purchased an '85-'87 Honda TRX Foreman 350. I was told upon purchasing that the engine was locked up and have since freed the engine. The engine will turn over but the spark plug is not recieving any fire. I have checked the fuses, traced the wires, and have replaced the ignition coil, yet still no fire. When the start button is pressed it just tries to crank but gets no fire.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
Start simple...make sure the red button is in the on position on the left bar where the lights are it should be slid over to the middle. than make sure your key is on...ok easy part done?????? good lets move to the coil and CDI... make sure everything is plugged in and make sure all grounds are connected. go get yourself a new spark plug if you haven't already. ostick it in the plug boot, or if you want to see how tough you think you are plug in a finger...lol jk SAFETY FIRST!! crank her over see if you got fire? come on back and let us know whats going on..

Welcome to the forums.

#6 ·
Have you tried a new plug and just stick the plug to the block to see if it will fire?

#12 ·
I doubt there were any sensons in 87 I would say if you have power going to the coil and no power coming out I would check the coil. if you have a multi meter you can set it to Ohms and test it, I don't have the specs in front of me but I will this evening.

#24 ·
Yeah, the stator sits in oil.

#25 ·
I stronly sugges a good Honda service manual it will have all the test procedures for all the components in it you really need it. let me look at theis schematic and see if I can help you bypass a few things to see if it will spark. be right back

#27 ·
Ok the light green/red comes from the starter solenoid to a "T" one way branches to the CDI the other to the Neutral switch and light. Does that light up when you turn on the key?

Gray comes out of the reverse switch through a 4-wire connectr to the reverse bulb. comes out of the bulb to the lighting , starter, engine stop switch it looks like Blue/brown the image is fuzzy. does that light work if you engage reverse?

the oil temp sensor has two wires ..the blue come out of the switch and leads to the fan control unit. the green comes out of the switch/sensor and lead to the first junction leading to soething I can make out...sorry but also branches to the ignition switch to the chassis ground , coil,fan control then toregulator/rectifier, fuel pump tail light and fuel pump relay.

You need to remove all the plastics. you have a broken ground. I am almost positive after looking at this schematic. start at one end of the quad and work your way to the other checking each and every connection. or a simple way..... grab your multimeter set it to beep if it has that setting. find the green wire on the tail light then start looking for green wire connection points touch one lead to the tail light green and fix it so you can leave it there then take the other meter lead and start probing at the connections, if you have continuity it will beep if not then you know some where between the one meter lead and the one your holding is a break in the wire, so grab a stool a pot of coffee and some diapers this will take awhile but the satifaction of eliminating the harness will be a good feeling, plus you will have learned something. if i can get a better view of that schematic I will be able to help more. but good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.