Honda ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Honda Fourtrax 350
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
More Progress - little steps.. I use the Air Impact to get the clutch off... Once the rest of the parts come in I'll get the rest apart and replace the chain.

·
Registered
1986 Honda Fourtrax 350
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
6 hours on Sunday and I got the motor back together...

2 more today and the fuel, ignition and exhaust are also back on.

First start was a little rough - adjusted the idle and it wanted to die after about 5 minutes.

Let it cool and tried again after diner - fired right up and ran very well... Havent tried it for an extended length of time yet though.

I am mildly concerned that my CDI might be acting up based on the previous issues with dying after warmup... so I'd like to get a replacement if I can.

I have read up on the issued and baking the CDI at 200 degrees due to cold solder joints, etc.

Bottom line - I don't care about price so much... I'll gladly pay a couple hundred for a NIB unit. Are there ANY CDI's to be found anywhere? Aftermarket? NOS? Anyone got a source?

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Bummer! I didn’t notice these were unavailable!
i see no NOS advertised just now; set up a fleabay search.
Here’s a used one advertised as removed from a runner

You replaced the SE valve on the carb with new OEM right?

·
Registered
1986 Honda Fourtrax 350
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
You replaced the SE valve on the carb with new OEM right?
Sorry - Not sure which part the SE valve is...

I used this kit and replaced everything... and cleaned everything else to death with carb cleaner.. :)

·
Registered
1986 Honda Fourtrax 350
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Bummer! I didn’t notice these were unavailable!
i see no NOS advertised just now; set up a fleabay search.
Here’s a used one advertised as removed from a runner
Thanks - Bought it!!

Even if it turns out not to be the issue - spares are goooooood.

·
Registered
1986 Honda Fourtrax 350
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Ohh and by the way - my Gas Tank came out beautiful! three weeks with vinegar and BBS and shaking it several times a day... emptied, rinsed with super hot water, drained and sprayed inside with PB blaster several times until all the water was out and it had a good coating in there. Then I filled it with non-ethanol Rec Fuel.

·
Registered
1986 Honda Fourtrax 350
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Putting this here to save it for later... The moped guys may have a CDI recreated in an Arduino solution...

·
Registered
1986 Honda Fourtrax 350
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Much CDI Decoding and hacking info - I watched a few of this guys vids and he's a bit of a mad scientist / Honda hoarder - but he seems to know his stuff:

·
Registered
1986 Honda Fourtrax 350
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ok Now I'm truly stumped.

She starts and runs like a charm - everytime now.

I shift into gear, can feel it grab - but then nothing... no matter how much throttle I use, it wont move. Same things happens forward and reverse - it grabs the gear, and then just sits...

I also made sure it has enough oil (2.6 qts) and adjusted the clutch per the service manual ( which just made it harder to shift, but did nothing else).

It was working two weeks ago before I took everything apart - and I was very thorough putting it all back together, I know I didn't miss anything.. Made sure to torque the clutch bolts to 10ft/lbs as per the manual...

I'm at a loss?? What could I have missed?

I did have an issue just after I reassembled it - I tried the kickstarted and heard a clang noise... I was afraid I stripped a gear on the kickstarter - but no, it still works and starts, etc....

The only other thing it could be - I couldn't torque the clutch and centrifugal clutch as I didn't have a way to hold them... so I used my impact - What I did was target the same stake mark to line up as before and then restaked. You don't think the nuts could have come loose do ya?

I reaaaaally don't want to pull the clutch cover off again - but will if I have to...

·
Registered
1986 Honda Fourtrax 350
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Going to rip it apart again tonight and see what's what... maybe I have the clutch lever off a tooth - but then it shouldn't shift.... hell I don't know...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does it jump at all when you put it in gear? I don't have experience with tearing into these specific engines, so what I might say may be irrelevant. Is the shift star secured properly? Is the clutch arm stuck?

·
Registered
1986 Honda Fourtrax 350
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
WOOHOOO!!! I feel like a 10 year old!!!! IT WORKS!!!!

I tore the crankcase apart again and found out what made the "sprang!" sound. The reinforcing boss on the case for the kickstarter chipped a piece off which was wedged inside near the clutch lever... I think it was binding up the clutch plates somehow.

Regardless I pulled both clutches apart, used a screwdriver to separate all the plates and made sure all the swing arms in the centrifugal clutch were free... oiled everything up really well and put it back together again...

Started it up and..... Nothing!!! Again - it would jump, but not move.... I gave up and went inside.... just was about to take my jacket off and sad to myself "You know - I didn't adjust the clutch again - probably should at least do that before I give up"... It was super tight... so I loosened it several turns and then set it according to the manual.

Started it up and WHAM!!! away we went!!! Reverse, Forward (only got up to second gear as its dark and I'm in a sub.. made a couple loops in front of the house.. WOOHOO!!!! I'm so freaking stoked!!!

This is the most complex project I've ever taken on!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congrats man! Such a great feeling fixing something up and getting it running again! Plus pushing your knowledge and skills with more complex projects. It took me 2 years to do a complete restoration on my 1971 Honda CT70, first time rebuilding an engine so I was super nervous. I think I rewatched the first start up video like 10 times lol, so satisfying!

·
Registered
1986 Honda Fourtrax 350
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
More info for the masses:

The Headlight is an H4 style - and Sylvania H4 Silverstar bulbs work great - major upgrade!!

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
I will try those!
Glad to hear you got it running again. Anymore problems with it quitting? Something you can easily do is clean every connector — get some contact cleaner, 2 plumbers flux brushes and permatex dielectric grease. And a gun brush kit with nylon, brass and copper bristled brushes. Spray and clean every connector inside and out. Dress with thin film of permatex dielectric grease—contacts and backshell—and they’ll be clean and disco/connect easier.
Do same with larger battery and starter cabling

·
Registered
1986 Honda Fourtrax 350
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I will try those!
Glad to hear you got it running again. Anymore problems with it quitting? Something you can easily do is clean every connector — get some contact cleaner, 2 plumbers flux brushes and permatex dielectric grease. And a gun brush kit with nylon, brass and copper bristled brushes. Spray and clean every connector inside and out. Dress with thin film of permatex dielectric grease—contacts and backshell—and they’ll be clean and disco/connect easier.
Do same with larger battery and starter cabling
I just did yesterday - longest run yet - but started dying like it was starving for fuel... switched to reserve (saw that on the forums here) and it came back. But - My fuel tank is rusting again. So, I'm going to go with plastic as soon as I can get some more $$ together.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
My fuel tank has not rusted since I cleaned it—but i did not do a water rinse which tends to promote flash rusting.

·
Registered
1986 Honda Fourtrax 350
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
My fuel tank has not rusted since I cleaned it—but i did not do a water rinse which tends to promote flash rusting.
I could probably make sure it is clean and reuse my existing tank... but I'm just over messing with it. Plus - the cap is now seized up ( I assume it rusted inside). I just want this thing running, so I'm making sure everything possible is new.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts