Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had to split my case open to change my shifter rod, while i was doing this I wanted to check the gears and see what kind of condition they were in and when I went to put them in I put the fork shaft back in and it just went straight through and i looked at the other side and it was broken. I know that it is possible to tig weld it but I know that welding cast alumium is a huge pain so i was wondering if anyone had any other ideas? This is on a 2000 400ex.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Replace the case. Cheaper then what it will cost to fix it. If you don't care how long it lasts or how bad it's gets ruined when it fails I'd JB weld that unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I was going to take it into the machine shop to see what they will say if they can do or if I should just replace it completely.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had a small problem with a Honda 450 motorcycle case, running a foot -peg partially through it. I used JB Weld just to stop the arterial bleeding of the oil while driving 3 hours back to town. Funny thing is, the patch worked so good I never bothered to upgrade the fix. It held forever. I didn't have structural problems, just a leaky long crack.

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
kind of after the fact , you could have put a tack weld on the end of the shifter lever to the stripped out shift shaft and we wouldn't be talking about this ----- a 5 minute job turns into a nightmare financial time consuming lost = I know you wanted to do it the right way

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
kind of after the fact , you could have put a tack weld on the end of the shifter lever to the stripped out shift shaft and we wouldn't be talking about this ----- a 5 minute job turns into a nightmare financial time consuming lost = I know you wanted to do it the right way

Usually if you catch it early you can pull the shift lever off, squeeze it together and run a saw down the slot to widen it out, drill out the threads on the lever itself and run a longer bolt and nut on it. This will let you really clamp down on that shaft and prevent it from slipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
So I had to split my case open to change my shifter rod, while i was doing this I wanted to check the gears and see what kind of condition they were in and when I went to put them in I put the fork shaft back in and it just went straight through and i looked at the other side and it was broken. I know that it is possible to tig weld it but I know that welding cast alumium is a huge pain so i was wondering if anyone had any other ideas? This is on a 2000 400ex.
Why not weld it? Welding cast alloy isn't a pain really, don't think your local welder/fab shop should be to phased.
If a jobs worth doing it's worth doing right.

Reactions: hodge5

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just talked to my local honda shop and they have both casings which is gonna be cheaper than paying my local welding shop to do it so Im just going to go that way.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts

Usually if you catch it early you can pull the shift lever off, squeeze it together and run a saw down the slot to widen it out, drill out the threads on the lever itself and run a longer bolt and nut on it. This will let you really clamp down on that shaft and prevent it from slipping.

you learn that hack saw trick from me ?, lmao. I learned many moons ago ( was taught this by the way ), clamp the shift lever in a bench vise, run a hack saw blade down the middle, problem solved for awhile. its also best to use a grade 8 bolt to bolt them back on, then you don't have to worry about the bolt breaking or not getting it tight enough.

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts

you learn that hack saw trick from me ?, lmao. I learned many moons ago ( was taught this by the way ), clamp the shift lever in a bench vise, run a hack saw blade down the middle, problem solved for awhile. its also best to use a grade 8 bolt to bolt them back on, then you don't have to worry about the bolt breaking or not getting it tight enough.

Grade 8.8 bolts are pretty much a standard bolt throughout the UK now, if we want stronger it's 10.2, 12.6 and I beleive there is a 14.4 but I'm pretty sure that the 14.4 usually comes in the form of a set pin(Allen bolt).

I have 10.2's on the front & rear end on my 300, I dropped lucky with a box of assorted bolts on eBay :biggrin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just picked up the new bottom end and I was told that it only had a bad bearing and it only had 10-15 hours on it and that was from my local honda dealer which I normally trust but then I got to looking at it and well then I spun the clutch and it was definitly not just the bearings so I stuck a inspection camera in it and well this is all I could see without splitting the cases but Im gonna take it back and see if they will either give me back some money back and Ill use it again or ill just return it completely.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
742 Posts

Put two blades in the saw to get a thicker cut then use g12 allen pin and nut, getting the g12 nut can be problematic though.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
I just talked to my local honda shop and they have both casings which is gonna be cheaper than paying my local welding shop to do it so Im just going to go that way.
It would cost about £30 cash over here to get that welded up, no way could we buy cases for that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I finally got back to the shop to look at it more and chunks came out and it is definitely not the gears I just looked at those tapered ones and thought those were just grinded. The chunks that came out are definitely a bearing race. Although I am going to have to split this case too just to change that. Id rather not do that but I think its the only way I can do this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts