Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all..

Took my trusty Fourtrax out to the off-road park today, all my mods seem to have been successful and I had a relatively problem free day. All in all, a good days riding.
I fitted new tyres and noticed today that the tyres have sapped all my power away! I was having to use 1st gear (low) as it wouldn't spin them in 2nd.
I'm considering a high compression piston, cam, valves and new rockers. Will that help with my power issue?
I will more than likely fit a gear reduction at some point but for now I'm considering the above.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Best mod u can do to a 300 is a BBK in my opinion. Wakes it right up! I can spin my 26x10x12 Executions no prob. Can get it to lift front tires, & spin the rears on pavement if I want!!

How deep are your pockets though?? Sure isn't cheap!

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Think you'll find Wheeler his pockets ain't too deep at the moment, wedding coming up and she'll kill him if he blows all the dollars :laugh:

And before he asks, dad ain't springing for a big bore kit :r_c:

Reactions: Manny and SamUK

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm.. Sounds awesome!

Well, I want it to be lively but still reliable at the same time, I don't want to blow it up that's for sure. What is involved with a BBK? How much does it cost?
Ideally I'd want to spend as little as possible but I could stretch my budget by waiting/saving.
Also, we can't locate BBK in the UK I have to buy such things from the USA so things do get a little costly

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Big red cam is basically early fourtrax isn't it? Trying to get hold of one of those here will be awkward that's why I'd considered buying a web cam.
Which website/company do you guys use for pistons and BBK?

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Best mod u can do to a 300 is a BBK in my opinion. Wakes it right up! I can spin my 26x10x12 Executions no prob. Can get it to lift front tires, & spin the rears on pavement if I want!!

Thanks Wheeler, later on down the trail, planning on a front disk mod LIKE fish files did and i REALLY like this idea, my pockets aren't real deep, but this i can afford.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts

Lift the front tires and spin the rears on pavement? Is this at the same time??? lol

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts

Lift the front tires and spin the rears on pavement? Is this at the same time??? lol

LMAO.. If I only could..

I managed to get er to lift on pave, then I tried a few more times and it just kept breaking loose.... I was impressed!

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A Honda BIg red is an ATC model no??
Big red is an ATC and here in the UK is also an ATV, it's our early version of the fourtrax ~88 Why they gave different names for different countries is beyond me!

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quick question guys.. I've looked on eBay for a big red cam and searching for big red shows ATC 200E and 200ES.
Is that the correct cam?

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Quick question guys.. I've looked on eBay for a big red cam and searching for big red shows ATC 200E and 200ES.
Is that the correct cam?

NO. You are looking for a 250 Big Red Cam.

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is that the correct cam?

NO. You are looking for a 250 Big Red Cam.
Thanks Wheeler.

I appreciate all the help from you guys, thank you.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
wheeler, is an 88 300 cam the same as a big red 250 cam ? I located both, have a friend that did a cam swap and used an 88 300 cam, he hasn't completed the mod yet, and going to go with a ricks hot shot CID.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
wheeler, is an 88 300 cam the same as a big red 250 cam ? I located both, have a friend that did a cam swap and used an 88 300 cam, he hasn't completed the mod yet, and going to go with a ricks hot shot CID.
You bet it is. Like I told Sam, if you can get your hands on one for under about $50-75 in GOOD shape. I'd do it. Beyond that it's not worth it IMO. The difference is minimal at best. Think about this, the difference between the early 300's and the later 300's was the cam and what I have always said to be a more aggressive timing curve in the CDI, which netted a total difference of about 1.5hp peak. So if you add a hot shot CDI and a BR cam to a newer 300, I would not expect to see any more than 1.5-2hp increase at the crank, which is about a 10% increase in overall power, with both the CDI and BR cam. BR cam alone, maybe half that? 5% increase? Not worth more than $50-75 to me.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Thanks Mac, going to be a while till i can have this mod done, sence i neverplan on selling my 300, i figured ill bite the bullet on this. i also plan a bbk to go with the br cam and the hot shot CID, the cam i located is a tad higher then 75 bucks, I'll emailed him to send me some close up pics, and the other was 150 bucks nos, never been used, that one is the 300 88 cam, thanks for the advise wheeler and mac.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
On my old 300bbk the 40b wore out and I installed a new 250 cam. I noticed a difference down low ( very mild at that ) and went back to a 40b. But like I said I had a 355. IF u toss a 250 cam in a stock 300 u should see a good kick in low end.

Reactions: _Wilson_ and SamUK
1 - 20 of 22 Posts