Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've taken apart most of the engine to try and find the error, and nothing has worked. It's not even close starting, the only sound is the engine turning from the starter. Thing I've done:

• Cleaned out the carburettor several times just to make sure. Also tried spraying starting fluid both into carburettor as well as straight in to the cylinder, still nothing.
  • It has a nice, blue spark on the right spot of the spark plug that seams to spark when the piston is at the top position.
  • Measured the pulse generator to 325 Ω
  • Taken of the cylinder head since the compression was low, cleaned out the valves and piston that had a lot of carbon build, as well as made new valve seats. Compression is now at 10.3 Bar/150 PSI when cold (12.5 Bar / 178 PSI is the limit when hot, so I believe it that it should at least fire sometimes, but nothing). Also measured all the parts and made sure they where within the service limits (all where).
  • Battery and spark plug is fresh, spark plug is the right one according to the manual.
  • Made sure the off-button isn't jammed to shorting out.
  • Taken off air filter to make sure it isn't blocking the air getting to the carburettor
  • Probably some things I can't remember, but these are the main things.
  • EDIT: Also made sure the valves are at 0.08 clearance,
We bought it knowing it was a bit hard to start, but it worked somewhat. But now it won't start no matter what. What could it be?

Very thankful for any suggestions!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, got it running! I put in another type of spark plug (NOT the one that the manual suggests) and it worked, starts easily and instantly :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The manual suggest that you use a NKG DR8ES-L but that didn't make it start, but it worked with a NHSP D8RTC. I guess that either the spark plug from NGK is faulty and only sparks during low compression like outside the cylinder, or the -L plays a role.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts