Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Same here, hoping all in Texas are as safe as can be at this time. Weather reports in England showing potentially devastating effects.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Thoughts and prayers for all those in its path

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
yeah, seems like there getting one incredible storm
seen reports of up to 30 plus inches of rain in some place's

that has to be unreal in all ways
even seen where there asking folks to write there name and SS # on there forearms in case they die , so officials can ID them?
MAN that's crazy

anyone in TX< I wish you best of luck and get to high ground?

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Guys, please excuse my ignorance in asking this, I genuinely don't know.. How long does this kind of storm last for usually? Is this a case of pack up some belongings and evacuate if you can?

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
this storm is a rare one, its NOT moving, its just hovering over Texas, and leaking on the, along with high winds and a few tornado's in with it

a normal nutty storm would be a day or so, and be more or less moving non stop, and be breaking up as it travels
but again, this one is just hovering in one spot
its a rather flat place, so when you get a few inches you have water flooding
add in a few days and up to 30+ inches of rain, and you have a disaster on your hands
there just isn;t any place for all that water to get to any time soon
and its over a HUGE area, so packing up and leaving, unless your traveling a few hundred miles, your still in it.
and not many folks want to leave all there belongings behind, as , it normally is, most folks stay and HOPE the weatherman is wrong!, which many times they are, or, many folks have lived thru storms and think this will be like the rest and be OK

hard call to make, and most times, by the time you realize its BAD< its too late to get out!

best wishes to all ion it now, there going to have there hands full for the next few weeks or longer!
Power outages, and I cannot imagine how many gas stations holding tanks are full of water and fuel now from flooding
which, spells LONGER term issues with things using fuel?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Been a while since I've worked the aftermath of a Hurricane. I hate what the people are going thru down there..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I agee mrbb rare storm indeed! What i'v seen on the news and heard on shortwave and ham is un real! Already 2 feet and expecting 3 more on top on that, there going to need a lot of volunteers, very sad situation for those folks.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys, please excuse my ignorance in asking this, I genuinely don't know.. How long does this kind of storm last for usually? Is this a case of pack up some belongings and evacuate if you can?
It is my understanding the storm is trapped by high pressure pushing down keeping it in place and while stationary, spinning picking up moisture from ocean and thus dumping it relentlessly on the state. A nice summary is here, https://gizmodo.com/why-tropical-storm-harvey-is-showing-texas-no-mercy-1798465439

·
Premium Member
12,648 Posts
My prayers go out the people of Texas , I have lived thru what they are going thru and it is nothing nice and takes a long time and a lot of work to recover from

·
Registered
559 Posts
Can't imagine the thought of losing everything so quickly.

I hope for the best possible outcome for everyone affected.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
And it still goes on, spent most of last night drawing 3 inches water out of my storm shelter/basement deep freeze came close to biting the dust i need to defrost empty and raise it some BUT, IT'S still nothing like those folks in Texas have to deal with, have a few slides and sink holes being reported along i-40, this bad a** storm sure touched a lot of people i can't imagine loosing almost everything in one big blow......

Attachments

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
supposed to hit my way this weekend
I'm WAY up on high ground, would need 100+ ft of rain to flood me LOL

but it can make a mess of all the basic's, from getting food to fuel to power
high winds are my bigger worries, too many big tree's that could land on my place

knocked down a few yesterday that were annoying me

for basements here, most folks here always place things off the ground (on treated wood mostly, 4-6 inches up)and have sump pumps that auto kick on to move water out of basements
but once your below outside water level, no place to pump it too, that's when you know its ugly and dangerous and problems are here!

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Yeah I'm kicking myself for not raising it some, but i will soon, there saying Kentucky is getting it now, for us later on a high wind watch 25 to 45 mph wind later, I've got and old koyo fish pond pump, sure i could rig up something, same feeling on trees here, i was out early looking at YET again another mess to clean up, and my trailer is still loaded up from the last mess LOL, so i. Figure I'd just spend this day flapping my gums here lol

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've got friends of almost 30 years that live in Port Orange, Beaumont and Mauriceville, and they've all lost everything. I went down to Louisiana when Ike made landfall, and probably heading to Houston or surrounding areas to run some clean up and demo crews, got a call this morning. What they show on the news doesn't really do justice to the devastation caused by these storms, it's absolutely unbelievable. They were fine for a few days, but it just stalled over them and after the 3rd day, the water started coming in the house, and after 2 more days was up to the tops of the doors, and stayed there for almost 4 more days. Everyone was trapped by the time they realized the water was coming at the rate it was and had to be rescued by helicopter with basically a go bag and the dogs. Now all the water systems have failed, so can't use the bathrooms or anything. Luckily after 4 days in a shelter, a great family friend finally tracked them down and got all of them to her house just north of Houston where they are still staying. It's just pitiful, everything is under water, no one can go to work and actually make a living, and waiting on insurance companies and FEMA is horrible, went through that 2012 in Mississippi when the 500 year flood hit and totally wiped out our house at duck camp, and when I say wiped out, I mean when the water finally came down, there was only part of the 14ft tall foundation left, so I feel for all those poor folks having to deal with FEMA, it's not pleasant. They have a go fund me page on Facebook, and if anyone is interested in helping out in any capacity at all, just PM me and I'll get you the information. Please keep everyone down that way in your thoughts and prayers, all of my friends and their families are all good Christian folks and doing what they can to just survive at this point, it's awful. Also, the fires in Montana are still out of control and no relief in sight, so again, thoughts and prayers as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts