Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This looks like the place to be. Now I'll tell ya why I'm here. First I'll admit that I did something stupid and after reading through the forums I didn't see that anybody else made the same mistake.

This winter I ran the oil out of my 05 Foreman, TRX500FM. Stupid! How did you do that? I can hear in cyber space. Well..... first by not checking my oil level on a regular basis, Honda's don't leak right? And, if the plastic cover wasn't there, I would have noticed that the shifter seal was leaking and replaced it, end of story. Not exactly.

I was working the machine at a ski race, and on one of my trips back & forth the bike stalled out, shifted back into neutral, restarted and took off. Didn't seem to be a problem, until it happened again. This time I went to check the oil and saw the shifter oil seal almost out of the case and oil everywhere. Ran to the parts store to purchase oil, pushed in the seal, and finished the race. I ordered the new seal and installed it. But now the bike has developed an internal "rattle".

I've changed oil, filter, spark plug, and adjusted the valves. Still no change in the rattle. The back yard mechanics here are 50/50 on the possibilities. from the camshaft to piston.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I'm just sick about this, this is my first bike I've purchased new. I'm not a mechanic, and I don't trust and can't afford the dealership here. I purchased the service manual when I bought it.....where do I start next?

Thanks for your anticipated help. After reading the forums for awhile, you guys seem to be able to do this stuff in your sleep. I'm new, but an official "old guy" 52 this month.

Thanks Again!
Tom

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Welcome to the Family, about the quad... Everyone makes mistakes. We have some extremely knowledgeable people on here that are more than happy to help. Just be patient!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Welcome to the forum, the guys here are great for us non mechanics. Someone will have a suggestion soon.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums........Does the rattle come from the bottom of the engine? If so it could be a bad bearing. If the noise is in the top It could be a lifter or a valve. but without hearing it it's going to be a little hard to pinpoint.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Sorry about your ride - that sucks. But, like Red & Dub said, the guys here will be able to get you going in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Welcome to the family, I'm sorry to hear about your bike, but don't worry you have the first step covered. You have the manual! Smart choice. Now with the help of some of our Highly trained extremely knowledgeable members here I'm sure we can get you straightened out. :icon_wink:

Look at the bright side, it still runs! It could have seized up on you and that in my mind would have been WAY worse.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
welcome to the forums..sorry about your ride..but..as stated..we all do stupid crap sooner or later..sooo..get in the stupid line like the rest of us has been in !..lol...and yes..like stated..your lucky it didn't seize up !!..that alone is the good news...now..the bad news...no matter what your hearing..you need to tear the motor down..start with pulling the top end off..your gonna have to check out your rings..piston..crank rod for bearing wear/or damage..see if you bent or broke any of your valves..if all that checks out ok..then it's lower damage your looking for now..the first place i would look on the lower end..is your oil pump...if you ran it out of oil..i'm wondering if you burnt up your oil pump ?..if that checks out ok..then check your centrifugal clutch..and it's oneway clutch bearing..check the clutch disk..see if you didn't burn them up..with no oil in them..and the steel plates they have..you may have burnt them completely up ?..check your timming chain..if no oil was on it..it could have gotten really hot..and streched it really bad..to make the rattle sound..and yes..this could be the rattle your hearing ?..i guess the answer your looking for here..depends on how and when you tear into it..i know it seems like a real big job..but..to find out what really is wrong here..the true way is too only tear it down..and go through it to see what and where the probelm is..sorry to tell you this..but..lets face it..it's really the only way you will find out what and where this nosie is comming from..anyway..thier is plenty of us around here to guide you through the process..soo..feal free to ask questions any time :)

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

i know it seems like a real big job..but..to find out what really is wrong here..the true way is too only tear it down..and go through it to see what and where the probelm is..sorry to tell you this..but..lets face it..it's really the only way you will find out what and where this nosie is comming from
I agree with Shadetree. You're going to have to tear it down and check everything to find the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for the info, I guess I'm gunna get dirty, but not right away. I've got to much sh_t happening to be focused enough to tackle this. I guess I should move this to Maintainence & repair when I get into it.

Thanks again,
Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts